U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2019, 07:17 PM

54 posts, read 32,224 times

Advertisements

The very wealthy, Aristocratic , ultrawealthy, want, the poor to qualify for food stamps because it is cheaper of course to provide food stamp money out of the public cash box, fundamentally paid for by the U.S. taxpayer, through taxation. This manipulation is far cheaper for the upper class than to pay the unwashed masses their just due out of their own deep pockets. Wal-Mart is an easy example.
The super rich, now getting to be a smaller and smaller percentage of the U.S. population, just keep all of their money and sit on it. This is simply a massive shift of wealth to those on the top rung.They sit above it all. Let the general population, the shrinking middle class, pave the way for the people on the lowest rungs of society.
The system is rigged. Still.- Democracy is the worst form of Government except for all of the other forms ever tried. We thrive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Interestingly enough, my grandkids make well about that $7.25/hr mark, as do many/most in the SA labor market. Those working for that lower wage are doing so either because they're unwilling to look elsewhere, or because of other factors. Some don't want higher wages because doing so makes them ineligible for government assistance programs.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 02:08 PM

1,445 posts, read 578,892 times
Ive seen a lot of suffering in my life in many locations (here in the US and abroad) over the years. I just want to see more people get out of poverty, be a part of eliminatinating predatory practices, laws and loopholes and be a part of things that benefit the greater good (the majority, not a select few). That is the purpose of this thread and some of my other threads. Paying full time workers the bare minimum to survive, not below (living wage) as a starting point for the local geographic area, with the ability to make more money with hard work, experience and education is a great starting point for growth, not a final destination. We as a city and as a human race can do better. I have faith.

Old 02-10-2019, 07:35 PM

Default San Antonio and the American Dream,

Regulating greed is like nailing Jelly to a wall. Never underestimate it. It is everywhere, it is the vaunted American entrepreneur who is motivated by it. What motivates is self interest. This is a good thing however, for everyone. People from the world over all know that anything is possible over there, in the U.S. Ambition breeds success.
Idealism only exists in the imagination however. Utopia is a dream. In reality, Bernie Sanders proposed wage rate might make things worse. The U.S. is already literally locked out of the world manufacturing labor market due to our astonishing bounty, high standard of living and wage rates. Do not the Chinese make everything?
A fifteen dollar an hour wage rate here, just might drive the world economy due to the increased demand for consumer goods from the U.S. It might.
In this city where the median household annual income is $53,000.00, things could be worse. The planet has still over one billion people that live without electricity and billions more living in poverty and, it is all relative. Don't fret.
We are an international anomaly where anyone- can rise out of poverty. Even here, in south Texas. I
Quote:
Originally Posted by txbullsfan View Post
Ive seen a lot of suffering in my life in many locations (here in the US and abroad) over the years. I just want to see more people get out of poverty, be a part of eliminatinating predatory practices, laws and loopholes and be a part of things that benefit the greater good (the majority, not a select few). That is the purpose of this thread and some of my other threads. Paying full time workers the bare minimum to survive, not below (living wage) as a starting point for the local geographic area, with the ability to make more money with hard work, experience and education is a great starting point for growth, not a final destination. We as a city and as a human race can do better. I have faith.

Old 02-10-2019, 08:23 PM

14,637 posts, read 32,320,283 times
Hmmmmmmmm. Suspicious.

that writing style and quote technique looks so familiar.

Old 02-11-2019, 12:29 AM

1,980 posts, read 1,516,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayssanantonio View Post
We are an international anomaly where anyone- can rise out of poverty. Even here, in south Texas. I
Not any more. That used to be true in the 1940's, but the rate of economic mobility has plummeted since then and the U.S. is close to the bottom of the list.

https://opportunityinsights.org/national_trends/
Attached Thumbnails
Texas and in effect - San Antonio minimum wage to remain stagnant yet again for 2019-2019-02-11_00-14-23.jpg   Texas and in effect - San Antonio minimum wage to remain stagnant yet again for 2019-econ22.png  

Old 02-11-2019, 08:38 AM

Surely Kthrny it is, true. Correct. Unfortunately, true. I know. The U.S. does not make everything any longer. We used to make all of these ; electronics,steel at a much higher percentage of the world output, all of the cars, washers and dryers, toys, all of the objects in the Dollar tree stores, department store items , shoes, clothes, all of the hand tools for sale in Harbor Freight, small engines for lawn mowers, electronics and all other big ticket items. Big and small. It is harder to find a middle class job because they are gone for the most part. Sure it is different than it used to be, but socially, we have evolved a great deal. Prosperity can be defined in more ways than one, Kathrny.
The country has lost all of its' manufacturing jobs which used to be entry level jobs into the middle class complete with pensions. Sears, a mere retail occupation used to have a very,very good stock sharing pension for their retirees at one time. Now? Sears is in shambles.
The rest of the world has caught up , the world is a smaller place. We no longer enjoy the benefits of the head and shoulders above all the rest economic status, that was present in the midst of the American Century.
Where the manufacturing process is in full swing presently is where the lower classes can rise out of poverty into a good paying job. A good paying job can be scarce and what is a good paying job
in a poor country would not necessarily be such a good, paying job here. Middle class is not the same thing.
Sweat shops and employee abuse is very common in foreign countries where there is no pretense of protection for labor such as OSHA, Wagner act etc. Overtime? Working conditions for the average person can be very, very bad in many countries. Primitive even. Average Incomes can be less than $1000.00 annually in some countries. The picture is not as pretty as stats. paint.
This is a social status that is very different from here. Success is defined differently.
Statistics can show only monetary gains in places where the middle class income might be a household income of $3000.00 annually. India for example. Italy, Portugal, Greece and Spain are in extreme economic trouble. Germany and England have been struggling for a long time. As has been the case in Japan. The migration of millions of Muslims fleeing from violence into Europe also is beginning a new social instability for Europe. Strife which is becoming worse, and worse as these people begin life anew in the midst of millions of Christians.
Where is the U.S.? Where are we in this city I ask? Middle class is statistically considered to be slightly above what the average San Antonian earns. Twenty percent less do we earn annually according to stats. So?
Opportunity here is better than nearly anywhere else. The economy is doing well. This bodes well for the average person. Different standards of living contrast each other.
The World is filled with bad things, we are filtered from most of these. U.S. is still the most powerful country on Earth. Economically, militarily, and with a standard of living where all can do well with effort. Is it easy, no , but it is better here for many reasons.
Our City is well, not ill. Are there problems, sure. Nothing is perfect, nothing.We struggle to do our best and with some luck, pluck and persistence we can do well. Might we become wealthy even?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
Not any more. That used to be true in the 1940's, but the rate of economic mobility has plummeted since then and the U.S. is close to the bottom of the list.

https://opportunityinsights.org/national_trends/

Old 02-11-2019, 02:41 PM

1,445 posts, read 578,892 times
Interesting video I saw today - see if you can pick out the solutions discussed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVX_NjKmIcg

Old 03-15-2019, 05:28 PM

268 posts, read 292,718 times
"If cost of living is truly continuing to increase and wages for the bottom half are renaming relatively stagnant, what does this mean for a large portion of San Antonio workers?"

Seriously? So the state/city govt is responsible for keeping you afloat? My parents taught me to work hard and make the best of myself. My family was at the low end of the economic ladder. I started off as a valet attendant and worked my way up to Hotel GM.

Cmon folks, this complacent mentality is killing you.

Old 05-05-2019, 09:54 AM

608 posts, read 510,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron99 View Post
Wow you are one to talk, i know people with very good degrees and experience that are stuck in call center hell. Its not as easy just to apply and get a higher paying job, if it was, everyone would do it.
I tend to wonder about people who are always saying "it's your bad choices" -- how much money do they make and what is their excuse for not being a multi millionaire by now? Maybe they made a lot of bad choices or had kids they couldn't afford or bought too much avocado toast because we know they'd be making Forbes list if they had made better choices themselves.

Old 05-05-2019, 09:56 AM

608 posts, read 510,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dihappy View Post
"If cost of living is truly continuing to increase and wages for the bottom half are renaming relatively stagnant, what does this mean for a large portion of San Antonio workers?"

Seriously? So the state/city govt is responsible for keeping you afloat? My parents taught me to work hard and make the best of myself. My family was at the low end of the economic ladder. I started off as a valet attendant and worked my way up to Hotel GM.

Cmon folks, this complacent mentality is killing you.
Why aren't you doing better than just Hotel GM, though? Surely there's better/higher than just that. Why stop there? What's holding you back? Stop spending so much on video games and pull up those bootstraps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio