Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 02:08 PM

2 posts, read 2,817 times

Advertisements

My husband, two daughters (3 and 7) and I are relocating to SA in the spring. We are looking for a community with young families, good schools with easy access to restaurants and shopping. Our price range is $450,000-$650,000.

We just recently visited SA and liked the following areas:

La Cantera Area
Dominion
Shavano
Stone Oak

We are worried about the traffic in Stone Oak (hubby works at USAA and have heard it gets pretty backed up there). We really like Dominion, but are unsure the girls will have a lot of young kids to play with?

We are in need of insight as we embark on this new journey! And if there are other communities you recommend, we would love to hear more!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 02:37 PM

6,705 posts, read 8,771,270 times
It is going to get pretty backed up going to the Dominion from USAA as well depending on the hours.

That being said, check out Oak Hills near 410 and Fredericksburg. The neighborhood is divided in half by Callaghan rd when it comes to school district. South of Callaghan is SAISD and North of Callaghan is NISD. Your husband will have much easier and closer access to USAA. NISD is considered the better school district.

Some people here may recommend Boerne but you are not going to find the traffic situation much better, much worse actually. IMHO.

Good luck.

Old 01-10-2019, 03:19 PM

87 posts, read 122,397 times
We bought our house in the Dominion 7+ months ago (June 2018). The Dominion is a fairly large community. Families with young kids, older people, middle age people, single people, married people, make their homes in the Dominion.

During our house hunt we looked at several homes just inside the Dominion north gate, which had swingsets and soccer nets in the backyards.

TMI is a private school located not far from the Dominion south gate. For public school I believe Dominion is in the Leon Springs school district.

Good luck with your house search!

Old 01-10-2019, 04:46 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
I had ole ty of friends that had parents working at USAA when I lived in the Shavano park area. Getting into Shavano Park proper may be tough, but the _____ of shavano neighborhoods could be doable. Traffic still sucks but it’s not as bad as dominion traffic and I’m sure there are young families in that area. Check out areas in 78249 and 78230.

Old 01-11-2019, 07:07 AM

318 posts, read 570,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranakamal View Post
My husband, two daughters (3 and 7) and I are relocating to SA in the spring. We are looking for a community with young families, good schools with easy access to restaurants and shopping. Our price range is $450,000-$650,000.

We just recently visited SA and liked the following areas:

La Cantera Area
Dominion
Shavano
Stone Oak

We are worried about the traffic in Stone Oak (hubby works at USAA and have heard it gets pretty backed up there). We really like Dominion, but are unsure the girls will have a lot of young kids to play with?

We are in need of insight as we embark on this new journey! And if there are other communities you recommend, we would love to hear more!
Did you look at Boerne? There are many neighborhoods in your price range with young families with kids. One of the best school districts in the state of Texas. It's booming and traffic on I-10 can be a problem at rush hour, but the highway expansion will be complete late this year and traffic will improve considerably. Depending on where you are in Boerne, without traffic it's 15-25 minutes from USAA; with typical rush hour traffic, it's 20-45 minutes depending on Boerne location.

Small town feel, great parks and walking trails, sports, unique local restaurants, amazing library, arts, cultural events and the property taxes (if you're in Kendall County) will be less than on a comparable home in any of the areas you listed. There's a reason why Family Circle named Boerne one of the top 10 towns for families in the US and Niche ranked it the top town in Texas to raise a family.

Old 01-11-2019, 07:11 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,118,291 times
I’ve been in stone oak for a little while. If I had to do it over again I’d do shavano Park. Their own Police force, a wonderfully staffed post office (the best in San Antonio) and just an overall better vibe in my opinion. And no San Antonio taxes.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:27 AM

4,323 posts, read 7,228,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashfearless View Post
I’ve been in stone oak for a little while. If I had to do it over again I’d do shavano Park. Their own Police force, a wonderfully staffed post office (the best in San Antonio) and just an overall better vibe in my opinion. And no San Antonio taxes.
True, but you just have City of Shavano Park taxes instead of San Antonio. And of course, the school district (the biggest bite), the county, hospital district, ACCD, etc., are still in the mix.

Shavano Park assesses a lower property tax rate than San Antonio, but the assessed values are higher in that municipality so that pushes up the taxable amount. The other taxing entities (like the schools) have the same tax rate, regardless of what city the property is located in, so the total tax bill may end up being higher in Shavano Park, for that reason.

The OP's price range is probably going to be the low end in Shavano Park proper.

Old 01-11-2019, 09:34 AM

2 posts, read 2,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunRunnerKel View Post
We bought our house in the Dominion 7+ months ago (June 2018). The Dominion is a fairly large community. Families with young kids, older people, middle age people, single people, married people, make their homes in the Dominion.

During our house hunt we looked at several homes just inside the Dominion north gate, which had swingsets and soccer nets in the backyards.

TMI is a private school located not far from the Dominion south gate. For public school I believe Dominion is in the Leon Springs school district.

Good luck with your house search!
How has your experience been in the Dominion so far?

Do you find that there is a community feel? Is it easy to get to know people since the subdivision is so large?

Old 01-11-2019, 11:18 AM

381 posts, read 1,092,600 times
Have you looked into Hill Country Village or Hollywood Park? The lots are large and the house will probably be on a sewer system but IMO the location is excellent and the schools are good.

Old 01-11-2019, 02:33 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,367,680 times
If you look a little past the Dominion, Boerne (pronounced Bernie) schools are some of the top in the area. Traffic on I-10 is heavy with all the construction, but the expansion to three general purpose lanes, and one HOV lane in each direction will smooth things out. That project is ongoing.

The I-10 NW corridor has all the things you mention. Dining, shopping, entertainment, etc. There are numerous neighborhoods between Fair Oaks Ranch and Boerne that are in your price range, and have plenty of young families.

Good luck with move! Try to arrive in spring so you can ease into your first SA summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio