Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 08:41 AM

1,740 posts, read 5,744,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojokitty View Post
Well, the tech came out and it was the Puron (that's what he said it was called) that was not charged enough. Ok, so I'm dumb, not sure what this means, but he said whoever did it the first time didn't know what they were doing and they needed to add a couple of pounds. Again, don't understand but I just smile and nod!
Anyway, they adjusted it and it IS getting much cooler upstairs. He said we have radient barriers up in our roof, so that should help things. He said the attic still seemed really hot for having those. He suggested adding fans up there, anyone know if this would help or how much it would cost? I'm also trying to figure out how to get our air to a point where the unit doesn't run all day long which would make our bills high. Any other energy efficient suggestions would be HIGHLY appreciated! Thanks for your help guys, my mind is more at ease!
The garage under the bed rooms is a big issue that you will never really over come. Sad to hear that the attic was hotter than normal with the radiant barrier. Have you been in your attic? Do you have sufficient attic vents? If not - even if you add a power ventilator - you could still have problems. I would check to see if your eave vents are blocked with insulation. Often times the builders cheap out and don't install the baffles to prevent this from happening and you lose the proper circulation of air. I would wonder if the excessively hot upstairs wasn't a reason that the previous owners moved. I have a friend that has a home with the master bedroom over the garage and he hates it. They can't keep the upstairs cool - even with two properly working units and radiant barrier - because the hot cars are like an oven below them.

I hope the newly charged system helps. But I would definitely check the attic ventilation. It is too early in the year to be having cooling issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 09:24 AM

1,532 posts, read 3,698,379 times
Does anyone know if there is a company or program that does some sort of energy efficient audit or something to that effect? I would love for someone to come into our home and see why our attic is so hot. Would that be a roofer or repairman of some type? Thanks for any help! Oh, and btw, it's SO much cooler upstairs now that they put the right amount of puron in, we have the fans going, and we closed the blinds in the back of the house! Wow! What a difference. Especially the puron, we actually have cool air coming out of the vents! What a concept!

Old 04-09-2008, 09:51 AM

1,740 posts, read 5,744,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojokitty View Post
Does anyone know if there is a company or program that does some sort of energy efficient audit or something to that effect? I would love for someone to come into our home and see why our attic is so hot. Would that be a roofer or repairman of some type? Thanks for any help! Oh, and btw, it's SO much cooler upstairs now that they put the right amount of puron in, we have the fans going, and we closed the blinds in the back of the house! Wow! What a difference. Especially the puron, we actually have cool air coming out of the vents! What a concept!
A roofer or insulation contractor should be able to give you guidance on why your attic is so hot this early in the year. I suspect your blown insulation covers the soffit vents therefore not allowing cool air into your attic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: