Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 01:44 PM

2,397 posts, read 6,432,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banker View Post
They also have a new location on Blanco just inside 1604.
Is the original on Blanco Rd. close to Hildebrand still open? 1604 isn't even in my vocabulary! *lol*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 02:23 PM

824 posts, read 1,807,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banker View Post
I am prepared to take the heat on this one...but my first choice remains as it has for the past 14 years of living in San Antonio... Alamo Cafe. I love Chimichangas (sp?) and they make the best - not too big and full of meat. Other items tend to be average but good.

I know many people don't like Alamo Cafe - but it is a good tried and true favorite in my house. Went there last night in fact.
Um, wow.

Alamo Cafe is to Tex-Mex what Olive Garden is to Italian.

Banker - please! Save yourself!!! Save your family!!!!!!!

Old 04-09-2008, 02:31 PM

1,740 posts, read 5,721,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlpr View Post
Um, wow.

Alamo Cafe is to Tex-Mex what Olive Garden is to Italian.

Banker - please! Save yourself!!! Save your family!!!!!!!
Yeah I know...but if you like chimichangas (sp?) they make the best in my opinion. I will say that when I want fajita's the best come from my back yard!! I can grill those with the best. My wife makes homemade refried beans and rice from a centries old recipe past down from my grandmother - actually she had a latino house maid that gave her the recipe while in college so that my "gringo" grandmother could learn to cook true tex mex. I stand by those recipes as the best ever. We also make home made tortillas. The problem is that all that takes time...when I have a craving...you can't just whip that stuff up.

But to your statement...yes, Alamo Cafe is to Tex-Mex what Olive Garden is to Italian...

Old 04-09-2008, 03:11 PM

546 posts, read 3,094,954 times
Panchito's on McCullough, near Hildebrand (Olmos Park/Monte Vista area, close to Taco Taco, the most overrated taco joint in San Antonio)- just get there early for dinner on Friday/Saturady, it's packed!

Old 04-09-2008, 07:01 PM

8 posts, read 27,188 times
Thanks so much for all the replies! Can't wait!

Old 04-09-2008, 07:37 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,759,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by googie2525 View Post
Panchito's on McCullough, near Hildebrand (Olmos Park/Monte Vista area, close to Taco Taco, the most overrated taco joint in San Antonio)- just get there early for dinner on Friday/Saturady, it's packed!
They remind me of Las Palapas (one of the better local chains).

Old 04-09-2008, 08:35 PM

337 posts, read 1,426,741 times
Have to throw in my .02 cents here and recommend Gringo's out near 410/Callaghan. Only recently tried it a couple months back after living here for 4 years. Wish I had tried it sooner.....absolutely LOVE the food and the margarita's are to die for!

Old 04-10-2008, 05:33 AM

119 posts, read 429,259 times
Can I throw this out there? There is a restaurant in S.A. that has spinach enchiladas on their menu and I would love to try them. I just forgot where I heard of them. I love hole in the wall Mexican restaurants. My favorite still stands to be the Taqueria next door from Hills N Dales across from UTSA. Great chips and salsa and enchiladas verdes (white cheese only)!

Old 04-10-2008, 08:00 AM

3,111 posts, read 9,170,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovevintage View Post
Can I throw this out there? There is a restaurant in S.A. that has spinach enchiladas on their menu and I would love to try them. I just forgot where I heard of them. I love hole in the wall Mexican restaurants. My favorite still stands to be the Taqueria next door from Hills N Dales across from UTSA. Great chips and salsa and enchiladas verdes (white cheese only)!
I agree, Taqueria Aguas Calienta (next to Hills n Dales) is VERY good.
El Chappareal in Helotes has spinach enchiladas, I've never had them but heard they were good.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:09 AM

796 posts, read 3,037,942 times
Casa Sol has spinach enchiladas. It is very good. Our whole family loves the place. We prefer the one that I think is off of San Pedro and Isom? They also have a location off of Fredricksburg Rd and I think Callaghan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio