Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 08:30 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstxcop View Post
anyone tried Dickey's on the corner of Bandera/Eckhert Rd??? --- we have and it's a little pricey, but the brisket was pretty good
My family tried it once and we liked it a lot. I really dislike driving in that area of 410 and generally avoid that part of town because of that. Otherwise I would have been back by now. I'd be happy to see another Dickey's location here in North Central SA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 08:36 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times
It's really not anywhere near 410. I've never tried it because I've heard and read not-so-good reviews, and when we want bbq we drive clear across town for the good stuff.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:38 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstxcop View Post
anyone tried Dickey's on the corner of Bandera/Eckhert Rd??? --- we have and it's a little pricey, but the brisket was pretty good --- but i have never been impressed with their side items ---
The was a big thread on it a while back...

Dickey's BBQ Any Good?

...but the place looks too fast-food-ish for me to try. Heck, some of the best BBQ I have ever had was in condemned buildings!

By the way, if anyone gets out toward the East Coast, Sonny's, a chain out there, has some really good Q as well! The closest one to us is in Baton Rouge, LA...but the first one opened up in Gainesville, Florida (where I went to college...Go Gators!) in 1968. We used to eat there all the time when I was in school.

Cheers! M2

Old 06-23-2008, 08:42 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
It's really not anywhere near 410.
410 is how I'd get there if I was making a special trip. It's not far south of Huebner IIRC, but the dozens of traffic lights make Huebner a real drag to use for a long trip.

Quote:
I've never tried it because I've heard and read not-so-good reviews, and when we want bbq we drive clear across town for the good stuff.
Lukewarm reviews don't surprise me. Dickey's is more Southeastern BBQ than Texas BBQ, so I can imagine that it's not going to supplant the local joints in the hearts and minds of the local critics. It suits me, though.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:45 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times
OIC about 410--I avoid it like the plague, so I understand. I do sacrifice, though, to get to Augie's, and Rolando's Super Taco every once in a while.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:58 AM

259 posts, read 909,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
By the way, if anyone gets out toward the East Coast, Sonny's, a chain out there, has some really good Q as well! The closest one to us is in Baton Rouge, LA...but the first one opened up in Gainesville, Florida (where I went to college...Go Gators!) in 1968. We used to eat there all the time when I was in school.
Cheers! M2
The local Sonny's was the only BBQ joint in town when I lived in Florida and I ate there all the time, but I don't think it can even compare to Bill Miller and certainly isn't in the same league as places like Rudy's and City Market.

(I also went to school at UF.)

Old 06-23-2008, 01:28 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,505,520 times
The BBQ Pitt on Hary Wurzback is pretty good.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:21 PM

21 posts, read 72,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
what is it with the pulled pork--did you guys grow up in TX or someplace else

anyone within an hour or 2 of Luling only needs to go to City Market BBQ to get the best in the state/southwest/nation...duh...
My Dad grew up in Pflugerville. As a child we would go visit my Grandfather. On Saturdays there was a Bar-B-Q place that had the best sausage they called "hot guts" (for obvious reasons.) City Market in Luling is the only place I've found that recreates that memory. I remember coming home from Austin and taking a "little" side trip for lunch. When I got to the front of the line, I was told they were out of brisket. I was a little panicked but was told there was plenty of sausage. Whew !! I like the atmosphere. Your "plate" of butcher paper & their great sauce in re-cycled tabasco bottles...grab plenty of napkins !

I also like the ribs at Salt Lick in Driftwood, the brisket at Louie Mueller's in Taylor and I agree that Harmon's in Cibolo are good. Want to try Augie's too.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:07 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,541,177 times
We love Dickeys. They are around the Dallas area. They are a tad pricey but I love their brisket. Very good.

Old 08-09-2008, 07:58 AM

1,720 posts, read 4,505,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatotex97 View Post
We love Dickeys. They are around the Dallas area. They are a tad pricey but I love their brisket. Very good.
It's pretty good, Theres also a place in Kyle, Rail Road BBQ I belive its pretty good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio