Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 09:07 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,231,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0vemberHAWK View Post
San Antonio's downtown is garbage.

I would love for San Antonio to have a beautiful skyline but the city leaders in the past have seemingly wanted to hold San ntonio back from becoming a major metro and wanted to keep us as a big city with a small town charm.

Yea, well, that small town charm must be synonymous for lack of highways and very poor people.

This city has a lot of potential, but people need to stop holding on to the dream of this being a large city with small town charm.

Things are what they are and if it takes away some uniqeness to get us more pro sports teams, more national coverage, better freeways and a population that actually has money, then so be it.
San Antonio has one of the best downtown's in the nation, people rant and rave about downtown. Don't confuse downtown with skyline, those are two different things.

And one of the reasons SA lacks a major downtown skyline is because we have so many suburban highrises.

Also, SA is not lacking in highways. Man, you're a trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2006, 09:47 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,336,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert123 View Post
As a non-Texan who is new to all Texas cities, I agree that Houston has a much better looking downtown. For me, this is because it has many glass towers. .........

Now, I would love to be wrong here, so please write in with a published, RETRIEVEABLE, international (or at least non-Texan) source that ranks any SA hospital as being "world class" or that lists SA as being a top ranked medical center compared to other US or world hospitals (not just in Texas!!).
Wow Robert...glass buildings are better looking? To each his own I suppose.
A skyline doesn't make a city great in my opinion. I think you're confusing "new" things with being "better". Being in the architectural/design business, glass buildings in the desert Southwest are a economical nightmare for the tenants and investors. All the tinting and reflective glass in the world cannot compare to hot/cold insulating construction. Sometimes there is a reason for what some might consider "yuck".

Regarding world class medical facilities......google "BAMC"...Brooke Army Medical Center. If you haven't been out there to visit, stop in some day. We were out there last week visiting the son of a friend who had been badly burned in Iraq. I'm sure you'll find plenty of sources outside of TEXAS that hold BAMC as one of the top burn centers in the world.

Just wondering....I'm not new to SA....but have not lived here my entire life. Why such petty complaints about this city? It sounds more like personal bitterness being directed inappropriately than really having valid complaints about this community. The population growth is increasing here at unprecedented rates. Something is happening here that people like....but if we don't watch out we'll grow faster than than we can keep up. THAT is where city planning finds headaches and nightmares......knee jerk planning to fast population growth is a recipe for disaster. hope it never happens.....but sadly it's already begun.

Old 12-28-2006, 01:36 AM

217 posts, read 670,018 times
I had written asking for someone to post a published, retrievable, non-Texan, (and now non-military) source that ranks BAMC as being world class or as being one of the world's best burn centers in this case (i.e., are people in Sweden talking about it?). But nobody has. The responsibility for proof rests with the people who make the claim that it's so wonderful.

I do think glass is much better looking than 1970s Brady Bunch beige brick buildings. Among cities of its size, San Antonio is the only city that I can think of that does not feature glass heavily. But it's good to hear that people all over the country--in Los Angeles, New York, Chicago, Boston, and Miami--are ranting and raving about SA's downtown. The building my Chicago friends really talk about a lot is the Chase bank building at I-10 and Huebner (yes, joke

Old 12-28-2006, 05:43 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,399,821 times
Suburban high rises? In San Antonio?

For it's size, San Antonio SERIOUSLY lacks any high rise living alternatives. Even for Texas, the pickings are slim in SA. Instead, condos in San Antonio are basically one story duplexes they try to pan off as condos. Note the "condos" they are building across from the HEB in Lincoln Heights.

San Antonio has a lot of potential. The culture is unique and the Riverwalk is fun. But, almost no one lives downtown and even if you wanted to live downtown the options are slim to say the least. I think I would enjoy moving back to San Antonio and living downtown where I could walk to the Riverwalk. But that option just isn't there in San Antonio. The developers would rather bulldoze thousands of acres outside 1604 creating more sprawl. Sad.

Old 12-28-2006, 08:38 PM

Hi Irwin, Where do you live now?

Old 12-28-2006, 09:03 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,399,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert123 View Post
Hi Irwin, Where do you live now?
Phoenix, AZ and it's terrible.

But I am moving to Boston in May, so I only have to put up with sprawl and block after block of strip malls for a little bit longer. I miss the Northeast and the city.

Old 12-29-2006, 01:20 AM

Too cold for me, but Boston is fantastic. A real city.

Old 12-29-2006, 08:38 AM

283 posts, read 1,834,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
San Antonio has one of the best downtown's in the nation, people rant and rave about downtown. Don't confuse downtown with skyline, those are two different things.

And one of the reasons SA lacks a major downtown skyline is because we have so many suburban highrises.

Also, SA is not lacking in highways. Man, you're a trip.
You are right.

SA has enough highways, they are just not BIG enough.....YET.

1604 is a joke and will remain that way until it is a full highway with NO TRAFFIC LIGHTS!

Ok, you got me on the downtown thing.

I meant skylines.

Downtown skyline is trash, IMO.

Old 12-29-2006, 09:39 AM

2,703 posts, read 3,400,900 times
San Antonio subarban "skylines" are bunches of 5-10 story business parks. Not much of a skyline.

Old 12-29-2006, 11:52 AM

1,722 posts, read 2,231,941 times
Actually, those buildings are 15-20 stories, 5-10 would barely register.

Sure there are a string of 7-10 story buildings east of the airport, but that's basically it, everything else is 15-20 stories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio