Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 06:56 AM

1,062 posts, read 980,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
That doesn't begin to take into account all the other taxes/fees CA pours onto their citizens - from gas being $1+/gallon more to income taxes, etc. For example, CA taxes you $6,149 on income (that's beyond your federal taxes)......that offsets the TX property taxes quite a bit.

On a 100k/yr gross income:

CA: $70,792/net
TX: $76,941/net

In LA, for example, a $200k home will be about $2k/yr in property taxes. In Texas, about $6k/yr. (actually less, I'm pretty sure - but let's say it's that). You're paying $4k/yr more in property taxes.....but 2k/yr less in net taxes.

Funny how that works......
It does take into account all taxes. That's the point. They analyze every tax and show you the actual amount that different percentiles pay! Texas fools you with the "no income tax" which is really a method to shift most of the tax burden on the poor and middle class. Read the full study here https://itep.org/wp-content/uploads/...-ITEP-2018.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2019, 07:27 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,834,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
It does take into account all taxes. That's the point. They analyze every tax and show you the actual amount that different percentiles pay! Texas fools you with the "no income tax" which is really a method to shift most of the tax burden on the poor and middle class. Read the full study here https://itep.org/wp-content/uploads/...-ITEP-2018.pdf
Quoting from their cover page:

"A PROGRESSIVE GRADUATED INCOME TAX IS A CHARACTERISTIC OF
THE LEAST REGRESSIVE STATE TAX SYSTEMS. "

That statement tells one everything needed to know about the outlook of that group. 10% of your income is 10% of your income....unless you're of the opinion that someone should pay a higher percentage simply because they work and earn more. Why is that fair? Someone making $100k/year is going to (on average) live in a more expensive home, therefore paying higher taxes. They're also less likely to use all the various governmental programs that taxpayers pay for to "support" low-income taxpayers. When someone gets back MORE in taxes than what they pay in, that's pretty regressive in my book.

I have no real issue helping someone that needs a hand - but I DO have an issue with someone, for example, that gets food stamps, Section 8 housing, etc - having their THIRD child at the taxpayer expense. At some point, you need to take responsibility for the mouths you bring into this world - or stop having them.

Old 03-13-2019, 07:56 AM

54 posts, read 49,604 times
Default Property Taxes,

Homes in Detroit Metro area suburbs, malcorub, have appreciated 100% since 2010, after the Great Recession began. That is, in the burbs they have. Detroit proper has also recovered to a lesser degree. Still, Detroit will not, ever recover, its' former prominence as at the beginning of the fifties as America's fastest growing city. Alternatively, instead of being a 24 hour shift city where theaters and restaurants never closed downtown, it will continue its' decay. This year 4000 more abandoned homes are set to be demolished. Bad,very sad. Ford motor company is investing 750 million dollars downtown in a autonomous
vehicle development center.

Florida is gorgeous, lush, and taxes are cheap, surely malcorub, as you stated in an earlier post here. Alternatively. Homeowner's insurance is the highest in the nation though, due to the threat of storms and hurricanes. Money will only go to State Farm instead of the State property taxes.
Flood insurance and hurricane insurance add to the costs. On a 300,000.00 home in Florida the insurance costs are $5,500.00 to 6000.00 annually. Perhaps higher. After hurricane Charley cut a destructive swath straight across Florida in 2004,from south to north, causing 4 billion in damages, things changed. Building codes,insurance rates, etc. Four hurricanes made landfall in 2004 in Florida. I think, over twenty people died.

I could not live in California. Unless, I was a seismologist being paid a lot of money for doing nothing except waiting for the San Andreas fault, great seismic shift.

I have only known a few nurses whom made 100,000.00 annually. One, a unit manager and another intensive care room manager who was promoted to emergency airlift evacuations, via helicopter. As much as some Doctors.
The third Nurse was a hospital,patient, family coordinator in Oncology in a huge hospital Chicago.
In my unabashed opinion these were all gone nuts.
The floor nurses are the hardest working, underappreciated, people in Medicine. Unless- they are incompetent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
She is on the high end then and must be in a position of authority, probably not the average bedside nurse.

It's not like Detroit where neighborhoods were abandoned altogether. The houses on market in SoCal get snatched up immediately when for sale and home prices keep increasing so people are buying and moving in.

My home value in SD, for example, has gone up 75% since we bought in 2010 and I live in a more blue collar area of outside of town akin to La Vernia/Converse. My property's value in Texas has increased as well since 2010 but I wouldn't say more than 20%.

Old 03-13-2019, 11:52 AM

19 posts, read 22,851 times
Our biggees are hubby getting all his medical through the VA so we don't want to have to drive more than about half an hour for appts.
The other one, for me, is tornadoes. I do not like them! Boerne/SA seems to be in a kind of quiet zone. New Braunfels doesn't appear so.

Old 03-13-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Quoting from their cover page:

"A PROGRESSIVE GRADUATED INCOME TAX IS A CHARACTERISTIC OF
THE LEAST REGRESSIVE STATE TAX SYSTEMS. "

That statement tells one everything needed to know about the outlook of that group. 10% of your income is 10% of your income....unless you're of the opinion that someone should pay a higher percentage simply because they work and earn more. Why is that fair? Someone making $100k/year is going to (on average) live in a more expensive home, therefore paying higher taxes. They're also less likely to use all the various governmental programs that taxpayers pay for to "support" low-income taxpayers. When someone gets back MORE in taxes than what they pay in, that's pretty regressive in my book.

I have no real issue helping someone that needs a hand - but I DO have an issue with someone, for example, that gets food stamps, Section 8 housing, etc - having their THIRD child at the taxpayer expense. At some point, you need to take responsibility for the mouths you bring into this world - or stop having them.
OK, so you're a fan of the California taxes which come out to be pretty flat. That's what the far right wing believes in and it's philosophically self consistent because it's a simple view of fairness that just ignores ability to pay, IE who can afford taxes. But I get it.

But Texas taxes are REGRESSIVE. The lower incomes pay more.

An organization that advocates for progressive taxation is giving you real data showing that California is flat and Texas is regressive. Politicians who want you to believe that Texas has low taxes don't want you to understand how regressive our taxation is or how much more you pay here than you would in a state with flat or progressive taxes.

Last edited by earthisle; 03-13-2019 at 12:22 PM..

Old 03-13-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Except that the average home value in Texas is $325k and in California it is $638k. A $200k home in CA is in the middle of nowhere if it exists at all.
The median in California is $548k

The median in Texas is $195k

Old 03-13-2019, 12:37 PM

6,503 posts, read 7,533,875 times
Quote:
The median in California is $548k
Great for those of us that bought between 2009-2013 or before 2000 as we are sitting on a ton of equity. Not great for those young families trying to buy today. I sometimes ponder selling in CA and building something nice, cash, on our land in Texas even if it means taking a paycut...living without a mortgage is so tempting...but I can't convince my California wife to go along with it. In the mean time the property in Texas has a couple of mobile homes on it to keep the market value low and consequently the property tax low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayssanantonio View Post
Florida is gorgeous, lush, and taxes are cheap, surely malcorub, as you stated in an earlier post here. Alternatively. Homeowner's insurance is the highest in the nation though, due to the threat of storms and hurricanes. Money will only go to State Farm instead of the State property taxes.
Flood insurance and hurricane insurance add to the costs. On a 300,000.00 home in Florida the insurance costs are $5,500.00 to 6000.00 annually. Perhaps higher. After hurricane Charley cut a destructive swath straight across Florida in 2004,from south to north, causing 4 billion in damages, things changed. Building codes,insurance rates, etc. Four hurricanes made landfall in 2004 in Florida. I think, over twenty people died.
You bring up a good point and something I had not thought of in the high homeowner's insurance rates in Florida. I don't like insurance probably almost as much as I don't like taxes, at least with house insurances at least I can feel that i get something back personally if a pipe breaks and does damage where as taxes many times feel like a black hole.

Old 03-13-2019, 04:58 PM

54 posts, read 49,604 times
It is said the money any average person earns before eleven A.M. goes to the Government. Well if one adds all of the insurance costs people are stuck with, it is most probably nearer two in the afternoon before take home pay begins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Great for those of us that bought between 2009-2013 or before 2000 as we are sitting on a ton of equity. Not great for those young families trying to buy today. I sometimes ponder selling in CA and building something nice, cash, on our land in Texas even if it means taking a paycut...living without a mortgage is so tempting...but I can't convince my California wife to go along with it. In the mean time the property in Texas has a couple of mobile homes on it to keep the market value low and consequently the property tax low.

You bring up a good point and something I had not thought of in the high homeowner's insurance rates in Florida. I don't like insurance probably almost as much as I don't like taxes, at least with house insurances at least I can feel that i get something back personally if a pipe breaks and does damage where as taxes many times feel like a black hole.

Old 03-13-2019, 05:09 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,709 posts, read 58,042,598 times
It is due to Californication of Property values in states that do not have the luxury of Prop 13.

This kicked us off our Colorado ranch in the 1970's and has displaced many lifelong residents, especially of MT, ID, OR, WA, WY, NV, AZ (where CA are most likely to flee. )

Could have been solved 40 yrs ago by CA requiring equity beyond average USA house price to stay in CA. CA would have been very rich today, and the rest of us would still have an affordable place to lay our head.

I have lost 3 homes to Californication of property values.

My current primary residence taxes went from $800 / yr to $14,700 / yr due to inflows of CA RE equity.

In TX, there is a significant problem with school funding. They enjoy a blank check.

Old 03-13-2019, 05:13 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,834,325 times
Quote:
OK, so you're a fan of the California taxes which come out to be pretty flat. That's what the far right wing believes in and it's philosophically self consistent because it's a simple view of fairness that just ignores ability to pay, IE who can afford taxes. But I get it.

But Texas taxes are REGRESSIVE. The lower incomes pay more.

An organization that advocates for progressive taxation is giving you real data showing that California is flat and Texas is regressive. Politicians who want you to believe that Texas has low taxes don't want you to understand how regressive our taxation is or how much more you pay here than you would in a state with flat or progressive taxes.

I'm not in "favor" of ANY tax - but if it's there, it should be applied equitably. How is a lower income person paying more taxes in Texas? When you answer that, tell me also what programs that person qualifies for that are paid for by other taxpayers (food stamps, school lunch programs, EITC, etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio