Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 08:13 PM

2,027 posts, read 7,030,286 times

Advertisements

La Cantera "Shoppertainment" Center
http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/8190/lacanteraareawi1.gif (broken link)
When completed, the area in and around the intersection of I-10 and Loop 1604 will become one of the largest "shoppertainment" destinations in the US. When Fiesta Texas was built in 1992 nobody could have predicted what the area would become. The area saw little growth until the opening of the Mira Vista apartments in 1998 and the Westin La Cantera Resort in 1999. Still it was another 6 years before The Shops at La Cantera (opened in 2005) brought large amounts of retail to the area. All were built on over 1,500 acres owned by the La Cantera Development Company. This mixture of hotel, retail, residential, and a theme park sparked the interest of other developers. Housing in and around the area also modestly increased over the years. The next major project in the area, known as The Rim, opened its first stores in 2006. The development includes retail, office, hotels, and residential. The Rim is expected to be complete in 2009. La Cantera is well underway on its first expansion phase, and will soon begin on a second expansion phase. Several developers have since announced plans for the area including Eilan (éilan), Cresta Bella, The Landmark, Hill Country Plaza, Promenade Place, Brass Funds business park, and La Joya. The La Cantera "Shoppertainment" Center can roughly be defined as being within 2-3 miles of the La Cantera/I-10 intersection (which is central to most of the developments). Once complete the area will boast some large numbers:
  • 7+ million sf. of retail
  • 4.3+ million sf. of office
  • Over 8,000 new housing units
  • 2,500 hotel rooms
  • 200 acre theme park (added new rides in 2007 and 2008)
It is also directly across the street from the University of Texas at San Antonio (over 30,000 faculty and students) as well as the Valero world headquarters. Look for more announcements regarding the area, as I am sure the growth will continue.

For more information of the individual projects currently under contsruction:

Hill Country Plaza -
HPI - property

Cresta Bella -
Post Oak Development of Texas | Properties | 412+ Acres on Interstate 10 (http://postoakdevelopment.com/properties/Cresta_Bella.php - broken link)

12-story Drury Inn at La Cantera -
Drury Inn & Suites San Antonio Near La Cantera, Texas

Staybridge Suites at La Cantera -
Staybridge Suites SAN ANTONIO Hotels | SAN ANTONIO LA CANTERA | Welcome

Eilan -
CB Richard Ellis - eilan (http://www.cbre.com/USA/US/TX/Houston+Galleria/property/eilan.htm - broken link)

La Joya -
Design International: La Joya

The Rim -
Thomas Enterprises: The Rim . San Antonio, TX

Promenade Place -
Galo Properties -

La Cantera Phase II -
USAA Real Estate Company - Development Services - Projects In Progress (http://www.usaarealco.com/developmentCapital/projectsInProgressDetail.aspx?hmy=36 - broken link)

La Cantera Phase III - MySA.com: Business (http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/stories/MYSA032808.01C.LaCantera_032808.2f0a402.html - broken link)

The Landmark -
Galo Properties -

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 04-12-2008 at 02:02 PM.. Reason: OP's request
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 10:00 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,145,801 times
I sure hope that all of the shoppertainment doesn't ruin Camp Bullis.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:23 PM

The city just hired a company to conduct a study in relation to all the development around Camp Bullis.

San Antonio solicits expertise on land-use study at Camp Bullis - San Antonio Business Journal:

Old 04-11-2008, 07:04 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,724,564 times
no thanks. the shop is already a dud, I can't believe they are still promoting that.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:06 AM

73 posts, read 123,578 times
The Shop??

Old 04-11-2008, 04:31 PM

791 posts, read 3,963,304 times
Not to begrudge your hard work, tgannaway, in gathering good data on development, but am I the only person in the United Shopping Mall of America that is concerned about how shoppertainment has fostered a shallow, materialistic culture that promotes never-ending debt as a permanent lifestyle and replaces most positive intellectual, cultural and artistic entertainment in middle-American lives with consumption as a band-aid for all emotional needs and desires? And Americans wonder why our kids need more and more stuff while being less and less happy, and why so many people around the world see us as ignorant and shallow!

oh, sorry... didn't see that soapbox I just tripped over.

Last edited by CelesteDF; 04-11-2008 at 04:47 PM..

Old 04-11-2008, 06:28 PM

378 posts, read 1,443,464 times
^^^ I agree but I like those residential plans though a new look other then the cookie cutter houses usually found in that area. The Eilan and Landmark are the ones that stand out the most cause of the mix use of residential, retail, and office space the put in it.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:52 PM

I'm not sure if you fully understand the idea of this project. They aren't seeking some "nice" shopping centers around a few neighborhoods in the wealthier parts of San Antonio. They are trying to create a shopping and entertainment region that attracts visitors from a distance. The idea of Fiesta Texas, Bass Pro Shops, IMAX, etc. are to attract out-of-town visitors. La Joya is planned as the ultimate in entertainment retail. Eilan (being developed by a Dutch company) is planned as a unique luxury shopping/office project. The Landmark is comprised of mid-rise new age
office buildings. The Village at The Rim will bring a 13-story hotel/condo and more retail, and the business section of The Rim may bring some mid-rise offices. Brass Funds business park will add a few mid-rise office buildings to the scene. Cresta Bella will stand out with numerous fountains down its main drive. Each project is unique. With the exception of maybe a Chik-fil-a (one in Shops at La Cantera and The Rim) and Starbucks (Shops at La Cantera and The Rim) there will be little duplication. You will not find many typical quick serve restaurants in any of them. It is being built not only as something unique to the city, but to the state. The increase in visitors brings more money to our schools, hospitals, and city.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:13 PM

378 posts, read 1,443,464 times
I understood the concept. I was just joking with how America is so materialistic which you just prove me right by stating this is being constructed for tourism as well as to attract more people to the booming area. I also posted that in the earlier comment stating the I enjoyed the complex and uniqueness of the projects. Being a hotspot for suburban activity I liked the idea of the more urban projects as well as the european concepts that were added with Eilan.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:19 PM

418 posts, read 1,241,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
I sure hope that all of the shoppertainment doesn't ruin Camp Bullis.
Funny. I'm not sure what you mean by ruin Camp Bullis? There will be no Camp Bullis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio