Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 06:21 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,409,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
The roots of Texas Independence are racist despite having such inspired Tejano leaders/heroes like Jose A Navarro, Juan Seguin, Losoya and others who died to defend Texian independence. Little did they know that their descendants would endure such oppression from the waves of greedy, white Southern trailer trash who would overtake them in numbers and kill them and steal their lands. When I have attended Fiesta, I chose to remember and honor them, Sam Houston, Bowie & Stephen F Austin, not the century and a half of institutional racism after Independence

AH! The race card!

Old 04-14-2019, 10:08 AM

3,163 posts, read 1,725,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar View Post
AH! The race card!
That is not the race card. That was reality. You are always so quick to defend the cruelty of your ancestors. Why not accept that they used devious tactics to achieve true goals for riches and move on? Lord knows, you ppl are always expecting all of the other groups to do the same. You are the one that plays the “race card”

Old 04-14-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkay66 View Post
The roots of Texas Independence came from the Tejanos. The Texian Anglos joined in later.

Tejano suppresion came after independence, when more and more Anglos immigrated to the new republic.

Please stop deriding what Navarro, Seguin, Losoya and other Tejanos did in your zeal to trash the later Anglos.
I had a crappy Texas Histoty teacher in the 7th grade with a bunch of bussed-in blacks who were always raising a ruckus. I might have missed that part. I’ll get back to you on that, def worth the research. For which reasons would the Tejanos want to have independence from mexico?

Last edited by Hopeful for Life; 04-14-2019 at 10:33 AM..

Old 04-14-2019, 10:37 AM

4,433 posts, read 5,347,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
That is not the race card. That was reality. You are always so quick to defend the cruelty of your ancestors. Why not accept that they used devious tactics to achieve true goals for riches and move on? Lord knows, you ppl are always expecting all of the other groups to do the same. You are the one that plays the “race card”
You do realize your talking in circles right?

Old 04-14-2019, 10:46 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,005,970 times
The sooner Anglos and Mexicans can reconcile the better...
I always open doors and I am the only "guero" as they call me at my favorite restaurant most days. All of the employees know me and like me, why is it so hard for others to get along? They seem genuinely happy to see me every day. And they probably don't have any white people in their neighborhood.
I grew up in Alamo Whites and I can honestly say I never met anybody who was actually racist towards hispanics. It would be impossible, the school is 40% hispanic. Where are all of these racist white people?
Forgive and forget.
Regarding Mexico, many of the wealthy are descended from Conquistadors, and they are called racist there, yet in Texas, y'all all get along quite well, all calling yourselves Mexican/Hispanic and being offended if somebody points out you are white. Why can't the same thing happen with Anglos? In most cases of the city we are all friends. The UTSA students really want to stir hatred. I would love to attend school there but it seems horrible with all of these politics.
If you can't get over the "stealing of the land" (which I have still not gotten an explanation for) you are know better than the black people who cry for reparations 150 years later. It is an endpoint to the discussion. There will be a civil war or balkanization before reparations, in my opinion.

Old 04-14-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
The sooner Anglos and Mexicans can reconcile the better...
I always open doors and I am the only "guero" as they call me at my favorite restaurant most days. All of the employees know me and like me, why is it so hard for others to get along? They seem genuinely happy to see me every day. And they probably don't have any white people in their neighborhood.
I grew up in Alamo Whites and I can honestly say I never met anybody who was actually racist towards hispanics. It would be impossible, the school is 40% hispanic. Where are all of these racist white people?
Forgive and forget.
Regarding Mexico, many of the wealthy are descended from Conquistadors, and they are called racist there, yet in Texas, y'all all get along quite well, all calling yourselves Mexican/Hispanic and being offended if somebody points out you are white. Why can't the same thing happen with Anglos? In most cases of the city we are all friends. The UTSA students really want to stir hatred. I would love to attend school there but it seems horrible with all of these politics.
If you can't get over the "stealing of the land" (which I have still not gotten an explanation for) you are know better than the black people who cry for reparations 150 years later. It is an endpoint to the discussion. There will be a civil war or balkanization before reparations, in my opinion.
You are the most intelligent of anybody on this forum, including myself. At least, you have a desire to learn and make an effort to reach across. I’m not so sure that local mex-Americans like the wealthy Mexicans who come here. I sure don’t. They are spoiled, arrogant and they talk way too loud for my tastes. Obviously, it’s ok if you feel differently.

Old 04-14-2019, 11:05 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,776,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
You do realize your talking in circles right?
I am reading it that way also. Can’t make much sense of what point(s) are trying to be made (if any).

Old 04-14-2019, 11:12 AM

I just realized I put "you are know better" lol

Old 04-14-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
I just realized I put "you are know better" lol
Lol- I never really said anything about reparations for those who lost their lands at the hands of wicked ppl. That has probably been played out through every conquest since time began. I don’t know the details, but I believe that some of those had Mexican land grants that were supposed to be honored as part of the conquest- several have sought relief from the courts, but I’m uncertain if any has been successful. I do think that the majority of Mexican-descended ppl are better off here than had they remained part of Mexico. I just wish that they didn’t have to go through so much grief to get to this place in time.

Old 04-14-2019, 11:30 AM

A fair assessment, in my opinion. I think if Mexico had gun rights they could defend themselves from the cartel. I would quite like to live there if it was safer. I think the culture is much more traditional at this point than in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio