Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 10:16 AM

74 posts, read 251,725 times

Advertisements

I am researching SA for a future relocation. I have narrowed the areas to NISD-NEISD neighborhoods. One thing that I have noticed is, a huge majority of the schools in these 2 districts, have half to over half of the student body receiving reduced/free lunches. Now where I am from this tends to indicate schools that have low income/section 8- housing students. Hopefully, without offending anyone, these tend to be low- achieving schools that you would want to avoid. Does anyone know why the % is so high? I keep reading that these are the 2 good school districts. Please help. Thank you!

Old 04-12-2008, 11:31 AM
cwh

345 posts, read 942,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIAcakes View Post
I am researching SA for a future relocation. I have narrowed the areas to NISD-NEISD neighborhoods. One thing that I have noticed is, a huge majority of the schools in these 2 districts, have half to over half of the student body receiving reduced/free lunches. Now where I am from this tends to indicate schools that have low income/section 8- housing students. Hopefully, without offending anyone, these tend to be low- achieving schools that you would want to avoid. Does anyone know why the % is so high? I keep reading that these are the 2 good school districts. Please help. Thank you!
I dont know what it means, but I do know you get more of things that are subsidized. My mother-in-law works in a school cafeteria(not in SA) that has a very high percentage of kids on free lunch. While these kids dont have money to buy lunch, they appear to have plenty of money when they want to buy snacks from the cafeteria.

Old 04-12-2008, 01:06 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,952,889 times
Maybe it means that the controls on the school lunch subsidies need to be tighter? If that's the case, you're better off using the TEA ratings that come from standardized testing as a yardstick for comparison.

Old 04-12-2008, 01:59 PM

2,027 posts, read 7,001,969 times
I think a lot of time parents will get their kids in free lunch even though they could easily afford it. I remember in school it wasn't hard for students to obtain free/reduced lunches. The schools in NISD are nice looking schools and I hear few complaints about them.

Old 04-12-2008, 02:06 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,520,011 times
Honestly, this is one of my "soapbox" issues (see my most recent rant in the Off Topic thread ). I noticed it more when we lived in Atascosa County, but there seems to be a real "entitlement" attitude today. I don't know if it's more prevalent here or if it's all over. But it seems like people just figure that they're "entitled" to everything for free. They think of "the government" as this mythical entity that is swimming in money. For some reason, the fact that the money from "the government" is really coming from all us taxpayers escapes their thinking. While I'm sure that there are lots of people out there who truly need the help, there's an awfully lot of folks out there who can somehow afford to buy the latest, greatest, name brand clothing, shoes, electronics, what-have-you for their kids and yet feel compelled to use the free/reduced price lunch hand out.

Old 04-12-2008, 02:08 PM

2,397 posts, read 6,433,106 times
When my kids were attending school in the South San District, I had noticed that they had stopped sending home the application for free/reduced meals at the beginning of the year. While my kids didn't utilize the program, I was curious as to why this was. I called the school and was informed that the ENTIRE district was qualified for free (not reduced) meals. When I protested, saying that there were plenty of families in the district who could afford lunches, I was told that processing each application was time-consuming and costly. Personally, I realized that this explains why some people take advantage of the system.

Old 04-12-2008, 05:07 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,517,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
I think a lot of time parents will get their kids in free lunch even though they could easily afford it. I remember in school it wasn't hard for students to obtain free/reduced lunches. The schools in NISD are nice looking schools and I hear few complaints about them.

I have several students on FR lunch-some need it, some CLEARLY don't. If you drive a BMW 325i, you don't. If your child has a different pair of high $$ Nike sneakers that coordinate with every outfit, you don't.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:53 PM

72 posts, read 266,581 times
Ditto here. When I was student teaching in Detroit 2003, 90% of the kiddos at my school had free lunch. I found it surprising the number of Denalis that picked the children up-lots of self-employed people who seemed to know how to work the system.

Old 04-12-2008, 11:25 PM
cwh

345 posts, read 942,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
I have several students on FR lunch-some need it, some CLEARLY don't. If you drive a BMW 325i, you don't. If your child has a different pair of high $$ Nike sneakers that coordinate with every outfit, you don't.
Clearly they were impoverished only being able to afford the bottom end bmw.

Old 04-12-2008, 11:34 PM

418 posts, read 1,234,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIAcakes View Post
From what I've read in the past, free and reduced lunch does not have a cost of living adjustment.

As a result of lower costs/income, more people in this city qualify.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio