Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 05:23 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,007,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
Wonder what the next "ban" is going to be about?

Having a smoke after inhaling chick-fil-a at the airport apparently is a sin.

How about banning cell phone use by city council members during a meeting, and actually listen to what people have to say?

I'm not seeing any concern about the 600 knives and stun guns confiscated at the Big Red festival...guess they consider that normal.

Oh the times we live in
They should ban cell phones altogether if they care about our health as much as they claim they do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 06:18 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,615,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Why does the government and media push against tobacco so hard? If you just listened to what they had to say you would think it is far worse than alcohol...
Seriously? This is a joke question I hope. Secondhand smoke is as dangerous to those who inhale it as the smoking is to the smoker.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:31 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,078,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
Seriously? This is a joke question I hope. Secondhand smoke is as dangerous to those who inhale it as the smoking is to the smoker.
Its worse, 4x worse. Second hand smoke doesn't get filtered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
YAY!!! More overreaching government!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Then you really don't "hate government interference" - you just want them to interfere in a way YOU approve of. There's lots of things folks do/say that I don't like/care for - but you know what? I move on down the road. I don't ask for laws to ban it - because the next person has THEIR rights as well. This country is gradually coming to to rule by mob - and it's scaring the blazes outta me, because those of you applauding it haven't yet realized - your time is coming. The very people you cheer today will be after YOU sooner or later.....then what?

Making a pretty big leap aren't you? You can at least agree that we've confirmed the carcinogens from burning anything, especially when you start including the chemicals in cigarettes and forcing them into your lungs, is not good for you right?

You do see there are some obvious reasons to this:
That a significant portion of people who use the trails and parks are trying to enjoy nature, and probably exercising, including children with developing organs. (smell, and lung problems)
The city doesn't want to spend time and money cleaning up butts (your tax dollars at work).
The slim possibility of a fire. (safety)
Wildlife eating the butts. (its okay to stick up for animals that didn't get to speak at the meeting).
-Do you need more reasons? These were just off the top of my head.

How is this not the same "government interference" as them trying to stop people from:
Shooting off their guns whenever and wherever they want.
Being able to drink and drive (, heck as long as you're sitting in traffic you won't spill your beer).
Driving at whatever speed you want, in whatever lane you want, without having to stop for red lights or stop signs, or just pushing the other vehicle out of the way.
Getting rid of all that used oil down the nearest drain.
ETC....

They aren't banning cigarettes entirely, just in places they don't make sense, that they take care of. Your attitude about it, is LITERALLY THE REASON, we need laws like this; because "you don't want to have to give other people a minimum level of respect." All I hear from your post is a lack of wanting to be part of a society because of fear and ignorance.

Old 05-22-2019, 02:03 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,226,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
The slim possibility of a fire. (safety)
Not so slim. We live next to the river south of downtown by a hike and bike trail. We put significant money and effort into cutting back the overgrowth along our property line to make sure a fire doesn't jump the fence and spread to the house. It could happen. It's not unusual to see burned patches along the trails.

Old 05-22-2019, 04:13 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,007,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
That doesn't answer my question. I didn't say smoking cigarettes. Why do they push against Juuls and dip which don't have anything to do with secondhand smoke?

Old 05-22-2019, 09:36 PM

Quote:
That doesn't answer my question. I didn't say smoking cigarettes. Why do they push against Juuls and dip which don't have anything to do with secondhand smoke?
e-cigs/vape is still the same: stinky, toxic, addictive chemicals that are in cigarettes; you are just not burning it to inhale them.

Old 05-23-2019, 10:42 AM

6,504 posts, read 7,536,063 times
I am not a big govt guy either, but whenever an activity becomes a public nuisance, usually having to do with encroaching noises or smells... I think it's fair game for the govt to ban something like smoking from a public space.

Quote:
Why does the government and media push against tobacco so hard? If you just listened to what they had to say you would think it is far worse than alcohol...
Can't drink alcohol at a public park either, only drinking is much more easy to conceal than smoking.

Old 05-23-2019, 06:29 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times
I think the wording "smoking ban" makes it sound worse than it really is. Simply put, there is a place to smoke or drink, including vaping as well. Both should be done where it is not a public nuisance.

A co-worker of mine told me back in the 80s, he worked in an accounting firm where smoking was allowed at the desk. It bothered him too.

Old 05-23-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
I think the wording "smoking ban" makes it sound worse than it really is. Simply put, there is a place to smoke or drink, including vaping as well. Both should be done where it is not a public nuisance.

A co-worker of mine told me back in the 80s, he worked in an accounting firm where smoking was allowed at the desk. It bothered him too.
You must have been born later than that, I remember it being so common it wasn't even a question of if:
Restaurants
airplanes
buses
taxis
grocery stores
malls
even hospitals it was either just allowed or had a smoking section.
ETC...

In the 80s there were fewer places you couldn't smoke, because they didn't want to keep people out. Then the data started showing up, and we realized how bad it really is for you. Big tobacco hid the truth, and people played ignorant for a long time because they couldn't see there lungs. Some how tobacco stains on your fingers, clothes, teeth, and smelling it in your hair, clothes, breath, fabrics, just wasn't enough to figure it out.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:19 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times
I wish I was born after 1980 but no...I was born in the late 70s.

I just don't remember much public smoking as a child except I do recall ashtrays in restaurants like DQ, Arby's, etc. Those tinfoil ones. Teachers had a smoking room when I was in jr high. Stuff like that I do remember.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio