Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 11:21 AM

657 posts, read 1,936,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
It's called the C.L.U.E report;

Frequently Asked Questions About C.L.U.E.

I had heard that not only does it "follow" the house, but also the homeowner. Example;

My neighbor was selling her house. It had a roof that needed repair/replacement (discovered during the inspection). She "cleverly realized" that the problems where due to hail damage and filed an insurance claim. House got a new roof, buyer was happy (he thinks the seller was just the smartest person ever! ). What the RE agent apparently didn't explain to them (oh, did I mention that he represent both the seller AND the buyer??? yeesh.) was that the claim would not only "follow" the house, potentially increasing the new owner's rates, but also the seller!! ha ha!
The FAQ posted does state that prior loss history can only be used if a company can show a relationship between the prior owner’s loss and the probability of a future loss to the home. In the case above I doubt that could be made, nothing about that loss predicts future likely hood of hail damage.

If the loss was for broken pipes a case could be made that other pipes in the structure might have a higher incidence of failure, therefore rates need to be raised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 11:28 AM

3,468 posts, read 8,554,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty12 View Post
The FAQ posted does state that prior loss history can only be used if a company can show a relationship between the prior owner’s loss and the probability of a future loss to the home. In the case above I doubt that could be made, nothing about that loss predicts future likely hood of hail damage.

If the loss was for broken pipes a case could be made that other pipes in the structure might have a higher incidence of failure, therefore rates need to be raised.
Excellent point! But, since we are in an area that is prone to hail...........

Also, the point that the loss "follows" the homeowner is intriguing. What I had heard in discussion about it (at a Realtor meeting where an Insurance agent was speaking about CLUE reports) is that if a homeowner shows a "pattern" of filing claims, that kinda alerts them. Real similar to vehicle insurance.

OH DANG!!!! This is REALLY off topic! Sorry!!!!!!!

Carry on........

Old 04-16-2008, 11:42 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,177,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post

Got any sources on it TexHwyMan? I'll see if I can get an answer outta any of the agents that are in this area (we're right on the border of city limits).
Sure, how's this:

"One factor that affects your home insurance premium is how well your city copes with fires. For example, if your town has a volunteer fire department, your premiums are likely to be higher than those in a community with a professional department."

(Source: Homeowners premiums fluctuate with community's fire-fighting ability)

The rest of that article goes into greater detail about how the fire departments are graded and how that figures into insurance rates.

Some other sources:
ISO - Effective Fire Protection - A National Concern
AFC - Community Forestry - Rural Fire Protection (http://www.forestry.state.ar.us/ruralfire/rural_p5.html - broken link)
Regulators Approve ISO Fire-Protection-Class Database of U.S. Property Addresses for Insurers' Use a
CAS: Fire Protection Classification of Homeowners Insurance (http://www.casact.org/dare/index.cfm?abstrID=2807&fuseaction=view - broken link)
The Cost Of Homeowners Insurance And How To Lower It

Old 04-16-2008, 12:00 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,554,592 times
Thumbs up Fantastic!!

Thanx TexHwyMan!!! (We can always count on you to get us the goods!!)

I'll hafta read those well, and see if it helps in the calculations I've been wanting to do. I wanna get some good hard number on how much a homeowner truly saves in the long run by not paying city taxes. Between a bit higher trash collection and potentially higher homeowners insurance (don't know about car insurance), that .5% (ish) could dwindle fairly quickly. Add in the intangibles like city police protection ~ makes ya think.

(and to quote SilverCreek) Or I could be wrong.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:36 PM

By the way, I checked my homeowner's policy and it lists a PPC rating of 3 (I'm in the city of San Antonio.)

Old 04-30-2008, 09:00 AM

I guess KENS was watching this thread!

MySA.com: KENS 5: I-Team (broken link)

Old 04-30-2008, 09:50 AM

529 posts, read 2,711,517 times
Very interesting. It looks like the higher priced neighborhoods have the worst ratings?? What's up with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexHwyMan View Post
I guess KENS was watching this thread!

MySA.com: KENS 5: I-Team (broken link)

Old 04-30-2008, 10:40 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenane View Post
Very interesting. It looks like the higher priced neighborhoods have the worst ratings?? What's up with that?
The fire chief for Shavano Park claimed that the rating doesn't include new equipment that was purchased since his department was last reviewed by the rater 5 years ago. Converse was rated higher than SA because they opened a second station and purchased a bunch of new equipment that figured into their rating.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:18 AM

529 posts, read 2,711,517 times
What about Alamo Heights and Hollywood park?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
The fire chief for Shavano Park claimed that the rating doesn't include new equipment that was purchased since his department was last reviewed by the rater 5 years ago. Converse was rated higher than SA because they opened a second station and purchased a bunch of new equipment that figured into their rating.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:10 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenane View Post
What about Alamo Heights and Hollywood park?
Chiefs there either weren't interviewed weren't included in the story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio