Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2019, 07:42 AM

9 posts, read 16,185 times

Advertisements

I am from San Antonio and moving back next week. Interested in updated information for where to live. South Boerne or Helotes for schools and my commute time. I have searched the forum and don't see recent threads (most are 5 years ago or so). I will be working in the medical center area and have 3 boys (6th grade, 5th grade, and 1st). We'd like an acre or so of land and of course good schools. I see Boerne ISD and NSISD both have great schools in the area we are looking just curious from real life experience if one is better? Budget up too $500,000. I have seen good houses that meet our needs in both areas. Which town South Boerne or Helotes will be better in the ongong future? I know traffic can be a killer for either route. I will be working 7:30 - 4 so hoping it will be a little lighter. Any thoughts appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2019, 07:55 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,076,693 times
They recently finished the first reverse flow intersection in SA at bandera and 1604. The intersection has become a lot more efficient. It definitely slows down once you get outside 1604. The commute up Bandera or I-10 to med center is really not bad at all. As long as traffic is not heavy its less than 10 minutes (from bandera and 1604). I would think Boerne is a 30 minute commute. There has been construction going on at I-10 there for a long time, and still going.

Just to throw it out there, if you buy chance run or bike, and are not familiar with the "Greenway trail system", check it out. (IMO its the greatest thing in San Antonio that's changed over the last few years). Its a 10ft wide trail system that runs along the drainage canal. It currently circles almost the entire city, and never crosses a street (traffic). Its all inside 1604 except up near I-10 & 1604. Just thinking three boys and want to enjoy the outdoors. You could get something nice in that budget but no clue on the schools.

Old 07-10-2019, 08:29 AM

318 posts, read 570,350 times
We have lived in the Boerne area for 17 years an have loved the community and the public schools. In fact, we moved there prior to having children because of how good the schools are. They are among the best in the state. There's also a reason why Family Circle declared Boerne one of the 20 best communities nationally to live and raise a family.

By "South Boerne" and your housing desires, I assume you're looking more at Fair Oaks Ranch or possibly the Village Green area. $500k can be a stretch on an acre, but it can be done. You will find that newer custom properties on an acre are typically $750k-$1.5M in the Boerne ISD. You would likely find more options on 1/2 acre or so in your price range in areas near I-10 and Fair Oaks Parkway. There are also more options if you're willing to go slightly closer to Boerne or further out Ralph Fair Road further into Fair Oaks Ranch.

The area I described above would put you within 30 minutes of the Medical Center on most days; occasionally a bit longer if there is an accident on I-10. When the I-10 expansion is complete hopefully late this year, that drive is likely closer to 20 minutes.

I hope that helps!

Old 07-10-2019, 01:46 PM

9,850 posts, read 13,692,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post

Just to throw it out there, if you buy chance run or bike, and are not familiar with the "Greenway trail system", check it out. (IMO its the greatest thing in San Antonio that's changed over the last few years). Its a 10ft wide trail system that runs along the drainage canal. It currently circles almost the entire city, and never crosses a street (traffic). Its all inside 1604 except up near I-10 & 1604. Just thinking three boys and want to enjoy the outdoors. You could get something nice in that budget but no clue on the schools.
I’m wondering if the 78240 area near Thornton Elementary near Valero would be a good fit for OP the homes in that area are on very large lots and is very close to the Leon vista entrance.

Old 07-10-2019, 04:17 PM

9 posts, read 16,185 times
Thank you for the responses. I will take everything into consideration. Glad to hear some of the construction has ended or will end soon. Look forward to checking out that trail system. San Antonio has changed sooo much over the years.

Old 08-08-2019, 12:02 PM

858 posts, read 680,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speechmommy View Post
I am from San Antonio and moving back next week. Interested in updated information for where to live. South Boerne or Helotes for schools and my commute time. I have searched the forum and don't see recent threads (most are 5 years ago or so). I will be working in the medical center area and have 3 boys (6th grade, 5th grade, and 1st). We'd like an acre or so of land and of course good schools. I see Boerne ISD and NSISD both have great schools in the area we are looking just curious from real life experience if one is better? Budget up too $500,000. I have seen good houses that meet our needs in both areas. Which town South Boerne or Helotes will be better in the ongong future? I know traffic can be a killer for either route. I will be working 7:30 - 4 so hoping it will be a little lighter. Any thoughts appreciated.

The traffic from Boerne to Med Center is not just bad - its impossible.
I10 is a parking lot constantly under construction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio