Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 10:35 PM

604 posts, read 1,871,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntoQT View Post
The lights are on the main road because, when you're trying to cross the highway, it's next to impossible. Hwy 16 traffic is heaviest in the morning and late afternoon from people coming and going to work. If you don't have lights and try to cross the highway, you'll never make it.
Well duh i'm not saying remove the lights- the lights will obviously stay there, but moved over to the access road so that they could build bridges/overpasses over the intersections to improve traffic flow and congestion- you know, convert it into a freeway like they had planed to back in the day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
Ah, duh! <slaps self upside head!> I was thinking "Poteet to Jourdanton", not Poteet-Jourdanton as the name of it. duh.
that's just silly

Old 04-15-2008, 10:36 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,177,710 times
Traffic problems are relatively new to that area, so there hasn't been a need for a freeway there, and traffic volumes and congestion in that area are still not bad enough to warrant one, especially compared to other parts of town. Even if there was a need, it would take several years to do anything because of all the environmental clearances that would needed for a project of that size, not to mention funding issues.

BTW, TxDOT is in the process of converting the interchange at I-35 to a standard access road interchange, so there are obviously no plans to upgrade Spur 422 to a freeway anytime in the foreseeable future.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:40 PM

But it's such a short strip of roadway, they cant build 2 or 3 overpasses? because that would be the bulk of the project, it just doesn't seem like it would be that big of a project- everything is already set in place except for those 2 or 3 overpasses...

Old 04-15-2008, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSA_wxatUIW View Post
But it's such a short strip of roadway, they cant build 2 or 3 overpasses? because that would be the bulk of the project, it just doesn't seem like it would be that big of a project- everything is already set in place except for those 2 or 3 overpasses...
Unfortunately, it's not that simple. Building those overpasses would require utility relocations, extensive drainage work, and lots of heavy grading, plus, to do it right, would also need interchanges at both I-35 and Loop 410. Sure, it's fairly short and would be easier than building a whole new freeway from scratch, but it would still be a sizable project.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:22 PM

2,397 posts, read 6,455,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSA_wxatUIW View Post
Well duh i'm not saying remove the lights- the lights will obviously stay there, but moved over to the access road so that they could build bridges/overpasses over the intersections to improve traffic flow and congestion- you know, convert it into a freeway like they had planed to back in the day
Uh, duh...do you know that what was intended back in the day?

Old 04-16-2008, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntoQT View Post
Uh, duh...do you know that what was intended back in the day?
Yes, that was the intent. It was discussed in a planning document I came across a while back while doing research for my website. And it's pretty obvious that was the intent given the configuration of the road: frontage roads, an interchange at I-35, and the road was even named Poteet-Jourdanton Freeway. Back then, it was projected that the city would grow south, and that route was primed to be upgraded to a freeway to support that growth. Of course, that never happened (at least, not yet.)

BTW, this completely slipped my mind last night, but another reason that road will never be upgraded to a freeway is because the proposed route for the Kelly Parkway is just a mile or so west of there, and will merge into Highway 16 a mile or so south of Loop 410.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:28 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,587,297 times
Once the traffic gets to the point where thousands of people are up in arms and demanding that something be done it will be determined that the only way to fix the problem is to make it a toll road.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:47 AM

2,397 posts, read 6,455,797 times
They should have upgraded the minute they knew Toyota was coming to the southside, instead of waiting until it got to this point. However, as I said, I'm not hearing any complaints from home, so I presume it's not that bad.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexHwyMan View Post
Yes, that was the intent. It was discussed in a planning document I came across a while back while doing research for my website. And it's pretty obvious that was the intent given the configuration of the road: frontage roads, an interchange at I-35, and the road was even named Poteet-Jourdanton Freeway. Back then, it was projected that the city would grow south, and that route was primed to be upgraded to a freeway to support that growth. Of course, that never happened (at least, not yet.)

BTW, this completely slipped my mind last night, but another reason that road will never be upgraded to a freeway is because the proposed route for the Kelly Parkway is just a mile or so west of there, and will merge into Highway 16 a mile or so south of Loop 410.
Oh yeah, Kelly Parkway I forgot about that too! But then, what are they going to do with spur 422?? It just seems like a waste. Are they at least going to sync the lights or expand it or so something with the usless access roads or SOMETHING??????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio