Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 10:13 AM

119 posts, read 430,644 times

Advertisements

Wow....such good advice and I'm glad to hear more people are living greener. We do live in a society where success is measured by how much "stuff" you have.

I've taken several measures to live a more eco-friendly life:

Become vegetarian
Primarily buy used furniture and home decor (craigslist, thrift stores, garage sales)
Use more bamboo
If you have to drive far make sure that you multi-task and run several errands at a time.
Time your showers
Recycle plastic bottles, paper, etc...
Buy a water bottle
Use more reusable bags
Use less electricity, unplug outlets
Avoid buying leather or animal-made products
Buy more second-hand clothes or wear out the ones you have
If you have to shell out money, like has already been said, buy quality

I know there's a ton more we could do, but I'm still learning. For instance, I wish I could bike to work, but I don't know how far I'd get on this 1960's one-speed...on 1604 no less!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 10:35 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,554,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtrkgrl View Post
I think I would kinda miss the plastic bags. I use them for a lot of things. We have a huge ice machine that I bag ice from and I use these bags for that, I use them to line the bathroom trashcans, they are great to hang on the inside of the cabinet door to put my aluminum cans in (rinsed out of course ), and what would I use for a lunch bag

Of course, I don't need 20-30 a week so I do like the idea of the re-usable bags but sometimes I would have to get the plastic 're-usable' ones.

I think it is great to see everyone recycling more.
Oh we do use those bags (though there was a point when we were so good about bringing our canvas bags, we ran out of plastic bags at home). We use them for trash liners in the bathroom, for kitty litter (which is rare 'cause our cat always poops outside), for carrying soiled diapers when out of the house, for lunch, among other things. So we do acquire some, however I wouldn't be against having to buy bags for those items.

I actually do have a resuable lunch bag, but my containers never fit in there....

Last edited by Chaka; 04-22-2008 at 10:49 AM..

Old 04-22-2008, 08:12 PM

337 posts, read 1,431,629 times
Bought my green bags at HEB today! I'm really glad to have them and was amazed at how much more they hold than the regular plastic bags! Another perk....they sit flat! I made it all the way home without anything tipping or spilling out of a bag and rolling around in the back! I've loved reading this thread and have learned a lot from you guys...thanks for all the posts! (Still living Walmart-free!) :-)

Old 04-23-2008, 07:05 AM

152 posts, read 412,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovevintage View Post

I know there's a ton more we could do, but I'm still learning. For instance, I wish I could bike to work, but I don't know how far I'd get on this 1960's one-speed...on 1604 no less!

This town sucks for being biker friendly. There should be bike lanes (a safe distance from the road) on most parts of 1604, 281, 10, etc... I have no doubt that bikers would be out there if the lanes were available - especially with gas prices. Why not put funding into a project like that instead of opening toll roads and widening highways due to bad planning in the past? The lack of bike lanes made me ditch the bike for a scooter that gets 70mpg and can maintain a smooth 65 mph.

There's my rant. I'll stop now.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:09 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,026,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
From HEB:
Celebrate Earth Day with H-E-B (http://www.heb.com/yourHEBStore/specialPromotions-EarthDay.jsp - broken link)
I asked at the HEB Plus the other day, and the cashier told me that you can always bring in 5 plastics and get a free green bag. It's not just for earth day!

Old 04-23-2008, 07:43 AM

3,468 posts, read 8,554,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
I asked at the HEB Plus the other day, and the cashier told me that you can always bring in 5 plastics and get a free green bag. It's not just for earth day!
FANTASTIC!!! Our evening got too crazy to make it over there yesterday. I mean, it's not like spending a buck each is gonna break the bank, but still. Free is always better!

Old 04-23-2008, 08:08 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,026,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
FANTASTIC!!! Our evening got too crazy to make it over there yesterday. I mean, it's not like spending a buck each is gonna break the bank, but still. Free is always better!
I may just spend the buck--I hate to give up my plastics.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:34 AM

732 posts, read 3,552,966 times
My husband...the crazed bargain hunter that he is....drove to about 3 or 4 HEB's to get the free bags.

I now have 6 reuseable bags to store in the trunk of my car!

I'm also currently looking into buying one of those Sigg water bottles for each of us.....

Midorigreen is really going GREEN!!!!!

Old 04-23-2008, 09:52 AM

3,468 posts, read 8,554,034 times
I hope he was driving your Prius, or he spent more on gas than he would have just buying the darned things! LOL!

And those SIGG bottles are adorable!! Maybe those will be some my little girls will like!

Old 04-23-2008, 10:05 AM

732 posts, read 3,552,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
I hope he was driving your Prius, or he spent more on gas than he would have just buying the darned things! LOL!

And those SIGG bottles are adorable!! Maybe those will be some my little girls will like!
haha....true about the gas....unfortunately, he was driving our SUV (sigh...) What's the saying, "penny wise and pound foolish"?

I love the look of the sigg bottles. I needed to get one for myself for when I'm out running (I'm training to do the Rock N' Roll marathon 1/2 marathon...) so I just went online and bought some for all of us. I really like the kids designs. I think my girls will like them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio