Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2019, 09:12 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,394,221 times

Advertisements

No one is a native of Houston, they are all transplants- there are no norms so everyone displays the worst of where they came from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2019, 11:06 AM

715 posts, read 1,350,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
At least Houston has more of a "cosmopolitan" atmosphere. SA will always be considered the big city with the small town feel and most seem to be OK with that. And they have an NFL team and the SUPPORT that goes along with it.
I hate that saying! I don’t wanna be “small town”. I’m definitely not one that’s ok with that.

Old 09-13-2019, 11:10 AM

2,911 posts, read 2,016,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davi78239 View Post
I hate that saying! I don’t wanna be “small town”. I’m definitely not one that’s ok with that.
I don’t want to be a small town either, but it is what it is. Has a lot to do with the “mentality” around here. Growth always comes with hesitation in SA.

Old 09-13-2019, 11:36 AM

1,647 posts, read 2,051,558 times
I want to be a small town.

Old 09-15-2019, 01:36 PM

858 posts, read 669,518 times
All these reasons explain why the posters do not live in Houston, but not why San Antonio actively disparages Houston every chance they get.

I would never live in in Chicago, but I don't go around making rude comments about the place for no reason.

Is as if San Antonio is jealous of Houston!

Old 09-15-2019, 06:57 PM

178 posts, read 376,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar View Post
No one is a native of Houston, they are all transplants- there are no norms so everyone displays the worst of where they came from.
Im native to Houston, born and raised. And I actually lived in San Antonio from 2009 to 2012. I also received a lot of comments from people who seem to think all Houstonians are ghetto or extremely arrogant/proud. I don't hold any ill will towards that but people have to understand the 2 cities are 2 completely different worlds. Houston is a global internatonal powerhouse. It's the 4th and will soon be the 3rd biggest city in the United States. It is a coastal city with a port that produces an enormous amount of GDP. San Antonio is a tourist trap in texas, I don't mean that to be a bad or condescending comment but even to me San Antonio represents Texas more than any other city in texas to outsiders.I don't look at it as a big city with a small town feel I look at it as a big town with a small city feel. San Antonio cannot be compared to Houston because it is a completely different world like I said before, but thats not a bad thing.

Old 09-15-2019, 10:14 PM

6,478 posts, read 7,437,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRoadkill View Post
Is as if San Antonio is jealous of Houston!
SA is not jealous of Houston, I am from SA but haven't lived there full time in quite sometime. I will tell you that Houston is not a place that many Americans see in pictures say, "I want to go there". Houston may be an economic power house, but it is not in the public's eye like San Francisco, Las Vegas, Seattle, Miami, LA, NY, or even SA. It's more along the lines of Phoenix or Minneapolis, it's a place where people go to work to make money, but no one really wants to be there.

Old 09-15-2019, 10:22 PM

1,168 posts, read 763,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
SA is not jealous of Houston, I am from SA but haven't lived there in quite sometime. I will tell you that Houston is not a place that many Americans see in pictures say, "I want to go there". Houston may be an economic power house, but it is not in the public's eye like San Francisco, Las Vegas, Seattle, Miami, LA, NY, or even SA. It's more along the lines of Phoenix or Minneapolis, it's a place where people go to work to make money, but no one really wants to be there.
Honestly, I don't think people really want to be in San Antonio either. For the average American, Texas is just Texas.

The truth is every city in the state is mostly the same, but SA benefits from its history and amusement parks while Austin is a booming college town. Houston and Dallas simply lack attractions to draw people's interest, but that doesn't mean they don't have a lot going for themselves.

Old 09-16-2019, 09:11 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,302,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
Honestly, I don't think people really want to be in San Antonio either. For the average American, Texas is just Texas.

The truth is every city in the state is mostly the same, but SA benefits from its history and amusement parks while Austin is a booming college town. Houston and Dallas simply lack attractions to draw people's interest, but that doesn't mean they don't have a lot going for themselves.
No they are definitely not.

Old 09-18-2019, 01:12 PM

12 posts, read 10,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
No they are definitely not.
I got the impression that Dallas and Houston were the two "high-culture" cities in Texas. That is, if you really want to do all kinds of upscale stuff -- opera, ballet, museums, 5-star dining etc -- those are the two areas you'd want to live in or near.

San Antonio is the most historical city, while Austin is the national media-grabber.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio