Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 06:45 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,119,141 times

Advertisements

Toyota earmarks $391 million for next era of Texas pickup production.

https://www.autonews.com/automakers-...kup-production

Mainly points out that the SATX plant will continue to make both Tacoma and Tundra trucks but the twist is to combine the platforms onto one (F1) platform.

I just recently got to see the production up close. What is a major complexity to them is sharing one line for both trucks and the process they use to prepare the frame assembly with the frame upside down initially and later transition it right side up. They have a plan to get them to a simpler infrastructure such that it will eliminate much of the components that they need to go through this flipping process process.

The article said no new jobs (except for robots), but expectations that it will impact an additional 900 jobs in Cibalo through one supplier. I thought that one news station reported some additional Toyota jobs as well.

Some tax abatement also for the next 10 years in exchange for the investment.

If you ever get a chance, take the plant tour. It is fascinating and very clean.

The robots doing the stamping for the body panels are pretty amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2019, 10:15 PM

6,502 posts, read 7,531,718 times
This summer I noticed that 1604 stretch between 281 South and IH37, which is actually outside of the SA city limits, is on the fast track to becoming a freeway. I am sure this has a lot to do with growth of the Toyota Plant on the South Side among other growth in the area. The various sandpit trucks and Halliburton trucks also cause congestion in this rural part of the County.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashfearless View Post
Some tax abatement also for the next 10 years in exchange for the investment.

If you ever get a chance, take the plant tour. It is fascinating and very clean.

The robots doing the stamping for the body panels are pretty amazing.
Do you have to know somebody or is the tour readily available to anyone?

Old 09-19-2019, 02:29 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,119,141 times
Visit http://www.tourtoyota.com

Old 09-19-2019, 07:38 AM

6,706 posts, read 8,775,152 times
Some of the information regarding Tundra/Tacoma in the first post is not entirely correct but yes Toyota is shifting to TNGA for all models, not just the trucks.

TNGA is Toyota New Global Architecture. It has been in the works for awhile.

Aisin is opening a plant near Schertz to manufacture automatic transmissions.

San Antonio (and Texas) is becoming a major Toyota investment area.

Old 09-19-2019, 08:21 AM

4,433 posts, read 5,346,276 times
Quote:
SAN ANTONIO - Navistar, a manufacturer of commercial vehicles and diesel engines, has announced plans to build a production facility in South San Antonio, according to a press release.

Navistar International Corporation plans to invest more than $250 million and the new facility will create approximately 600 jobs for the area. The investment is contingent on finalization of various incentive packages, the press release said.
https://www.ksat.com/business/navist...e-600-new-jobs

Old 09-19-2019, 10:32 AM

9,850 posts, read 13,693,812 times
I heard on the news up here in Austin that they were going to have the expansion in Szhertz, which makes no sense to me. Has anyone else heard that?

Old 09-19-2019, 10:51 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,409,515 times
Makes no sense to me but Azure110 reported it.

Old 09-19-2019, 12:18 PM

6,502 posts, read 7,531,718 times
In the last 10 years or so, the truck culture in Texas (and the US as a whole) has quickly accepted Toyota Tundra /Tacoma as viable truck options in a land where people have stubbornly stuck to their Ford, Chevy and to a lesser extent Dodge trucks for decades.

People have accepted this because although it is a Japanese multinational company, those trucks are built in Texas by Texans (as the bumper sticker reads).

Smart move on the part of Toyota strategically placing the plant where they did from a financial and marketing standpoint.

Ford seems to have countered this by bringing back the beloved Ford Ranger to the North American Market to compete directly with the Tacoma, where for the last 10 years or so the only new Rangers one saw on the road had Mexican licence plates.

Old 09-19-2019, 01:49 PM

6,706 posts, read 8,775,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I heard on the news up here in Austin that they were going to have the expansion in Szhertz, which makes no sense to me. Has anyone else heard that?
Toyota is not expanding in Schertz/Cibolo area. Aisin is building a new location there. Aisin is a supplier of many components to Toyota and other auto makers as well.

Navistar on the other hand is not a Toyota supplier. Not even Japanese.

Old 09-19-2019, 03:52 PM

9,850 posts, read 13,693,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
Toyota is not expanding in Schertz/Cibolo area. Aisin is building a new location there. Aisin is a supplier of many components to Toyota and other auto makers as well.

Navistar on the other hand is not a Toyota supplier. Not even Japanese.
Then they just must have smushed the two stories together. It made no sense to me to have Toyota expand in Schertz.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio