Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 10:16 AM

303 posts, read 365,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post

Racist much?
Again, no. I've already had to back you off another issue (chase policy?) by DESTROYING YOU WITH FACTS AND LOGIC like Ben Shapiro, so... . I'm kidding....

I'm actually pointing out the lack of diversity in a San Antonio institution that is a self-serving bubble and completely insular. And let's be realistic. That whole dog and pony show look-at-me! effort raised a little over a million dollars. There are some private schools in San Antonio that raise almost that much just for their annual funds.

Like I pretty much said in the title - it's a big circle jerk for the 209 crowd and really doesn't do THAT much for the community. It's more of a huge social process for a lot of folks.

Anyway, I'm being much more light hearted about this whole thing than most of you. It's fun to poke fun at these folks sometimes, and it's good to have the tough conversation every once in a while about this stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2019, 10:43 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbcfy View Post
I'm actually pointing out the lack of diversity in a San Antonio institution that is a self-serving bubble and completely insular. And let's be realistic. That whole dog and pony show look-at-me! effort raised a little over a million dollars. There are some private schools in San Antonio that raise almost that much just for their annual funds.

Like I pretty much said in the title - it's a big circle jerk for the 209 crowd and really doesn't do THAT much for the community. It's more of a huge social process for a lot of folks.

Anyway, I'm being much more light hearted about this whole thing than most of you. It's fun to poke fun at these folks sometimes, and it's good to have the tough conversation every once in a while about this stuff.
You're being light hearted about slamming folks for trying to help others? That's rich - and about as disingenuous as it comes. You're taking digs at folks that are guilty of nothing more than trying to help others - how they do so is their choice. And their "lack of diversity" is something they don't have any control over - it's up to folks that WANT to join their cause to do so. Maybe you're taking a jab at the wrong folks.

And last time I looked, a million dollars isn't laying around on the streets waiting to be picked up.

Old 10-15-2019, 11:49 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times
Quote:
If it’s not blue hairs sitting prim-and-proper for the photographers on furniture that probably smells like mothballs, it’s pictures of the up and coming society ladies who married into old 209 wealth (oil, real estate development) posing with disadvantaged children that they’re raising money for. “Children Benefit Always” - as well as all the egos.
I can see why someone who is not white would think this after reviewing the online print of the magazine. No matter how good the cause is, it is pretty white and I say that as a white person.

Old 10-15-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
I can see why someone who is not white would think this after reviewing the online print of the magazine. No matter how good the cause is, it is pretty white and I say that as a white person.
So....white people aren't allowed to be generous any more....check!

Old 10-15-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
You are pretty good at twisting words.

Old 10-15-2019, 12:13 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,501,700 times
Quote:
Apparently we are supposed to lay low and walk on eggshells these days.
Some people get so sensitive and upset about the stupidest things.

Old 10-15-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
Nobody alluded to or said any of this!

Look, I realize that you both are hoping to someday relax in the warm plush chairs that smell like mothballs to have your photos taken for the Rotogravure, all the while sporting your suit, pantsuit, or dress and jewels sponsored by San Antonio's finest retailers, but, it's not going to happen because you aren't one of them.

It's really just more fun to turn up your nose, call it kinda gross, and maybe point out that publication cost $85k to distribute. LOL! ... and to point out that lily-white gold-tinted traditions still do exist right in your face in a HUGE diverse community that is San Antonio.

Old 10-15-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Nobody alluded to or said any of this!
It's really just more fun to turn up your nose, call it kinda gross, and maybe point out that publication cost $85k to distribute. LOL! ... and to point out that lily-white gold-tinted traditions still do exist right in your face in a HUGE diverse community that is San Antonio.
IOW, since you can't be one, make fun of them? No, thanks - I have other things to do that are productive. Your anxiety to call out racism would be funny if it wasn't so crass - but you go ahead and do you, sweetheart!

Old 10-15-2019, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
Thing is. I am not upset or saying "white people aren't allowed to be generous".

What I am saying though is that I could be flipping through that magazine and think the same thing as the OP if I am not white.

You want to talk about people being sensitive? It seems to be the case on BOTH sides of the fence in this thread!

Old 10-15-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
IOW, since you can't be one, make fun of them? No, thanks - I have other things to do that are productive. Your anxiety to call out racism would be funny if it wasn't so crass - but you go ahead and do you, sweetheart!
Um, I'm kinda doing me... so, thanks for the permission? If you've got other things to do that are more productive, what are you doing in this thread? First you called me a racist, now you've pivoted to me being anxious about racism.

And sweetheart? That's pretty misogynistic don't you think? I suppose two can play the "i'll stuff words in your mouth" game. LOL!

Either join me with my faux outrage or go rack up on the reputation points in another thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio