Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 10:13 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,820,588 times

Advertisements

Brick is overrated. (I have brick..so no bias.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 07:37 AM

3,468 posts, read 8,552,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
Have to agree with you! We have all brick, too (all 4 sides), but I really think it's a regional thing. You see a lot more siding to the East (at least the Southern part, no firsthand experience on the Northern East), and out West there's lots of stucco.

You can have "cookie cutter" and still be all brick. Don't think 4 sides brick defines "not cookie cutter". (But then again, the term "cookie cutter" is so subjective ~ depends on who's defining it! )

Old 04-21-2008, 07:44 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,552,356 times
Quote:
I dunno. When I lived in Indiana in an all brick house, it was like being in a cave in summer. Despite the high humidity and heat, it was quite cool inside. (then we had a roof leak and the ceiling had stalagtites? -or stalagmites, I never remember...and it really was like a cave!)

Old 04-21-2008, 08:44 AM

1,740 posts, read 5,743,855 times
Quote:
In some way yes...but in terms of keeping a neighborhood better looking long term - brick beats siding hands down. Sadly - there are many neighborhoods with siding that after about 10-15 years look very tired and sad as the home owners don't clean and paint the siding as they should every 4-5 years. In this hot humid climate - brick just holds up better than siding - of any kind.

On a related note - there are some that have accurately commented about how brick can still be cookie cutter. I agree 100%. But even in that situation - I would still take brick over siding for the long term health of the community.

If you can afford it - choose architectural interest + brick over the alternative...but if you can't afford the architectural interest I would take a brick box over siding.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:50 AM

1,740 posts, read 5,743,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
Have to agree with you! We have all brick, too (all 4 sides), but I really think it's a regional thing. You see a lot more siding to the East (at least the Southern part, no firsthand experience on the Northern East), and out West there's lots of stucco.

You can have "cookie cutter" and still be all brick. Don't think 4 sides brick defines "not cookie cutter". (But then again, the term "cookie cutter" is so subjective ~ depends on who's defining it! )
Places like the north east with lots of siding know how to take care of it...and it doesn't typically equal cheap housing. There are mansions in the north east that are wood shingle covered...so the problem mainly lies in the problem with home owners in South Texas not taking care of their siding. Siding needs to be cleaned and painted ever 4-5 years to keep its clean fresh look. I drive through Stone Oak daily and sadly the big Pulte subdivisions of Arrowhead and Stone Mountain look tired and dated. The primary reason is the poorly maintained siding. Driving up Stone Oak and seeing the big siding covered boxes in need of TLC is sad... This problem is only worse in poorer parts of San Antonio.

And I agree - brick can still be cookie cutter. I wish people would value the exterior when picking upgrades on their homes. I don't know who many homes I have seen that had CHEAP exteriors and loaded to the gills interiors. Pay for the proper structure and a high quality architecturally pleasing "brick/stone" exterior - the things you can't change later - and then improve the interior as you have cash. You will get a better return on your investment long term if you go this route. Of course having enough money to do it all at once is best...but most people can't afford to. That is why you see siding covered boxes with big bucks luxury interiors that will not age well. Just my two cents...

Old 04-21-2008, 11:11 AM

1,510 posts, read 2,962,599 times
Banker,

Do these communities you mention have an HOA? I'm sure they do, but have to wonder why the organizations don't force the owners to repaint. After all, the provisions of most HOA rules I've been exposed to mention the exterior paint and appearance of a residence. Violation of the rules can result in anything ranging from a nasty-gram to a fine and, eventually, foreclosure.

--Dim

Old 04-21-2008, 11:25 AM

1,366 posts, read 4,486,155 times
i just don't know how much i agree with brick keeping a neighborhood looking better long term --- IMO keeping a house looking nice long term goes way beyond what the house is built with --- you can have a 4 sides brick home and have a crappy roof with shingles coming off or windows with torn screens or broken blinds hanging in the windows...or you can have 4 sides brick but have a yard full of weeds or overgrown grass or the paint on the garage door peeling or the paint on the trim chipping off ...

my parents have a home that is almost 50yrs old with vinyl siding on all 4 sides of their house --- they had the vinyl put on apx 20+ years ago --- but their home is one of the best looking on the block --- my mom has her yard landscaped to the "T" and keeps the lawn mowed and my dad keeps the paint fresh on the trim...

their neighbors, with all 4 sides brick, have a front yard that they equate to a junk yard, with stuff just thrown out there for all the world to see --- down the street the 4 sides brick home has a yard that is so overgrown you could lose a small child in there ---

i just think that home ownership and pride go hand in hand and that regardless of what your home is built out of ultimately it comes down to the people living in the home as to whether or not a neighborhood is going to be looking nice in 10-20 years...

Old 04-21-2008, 11:28 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,552,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstxcop View Post
i just don't know how much i agree with brick keeping a neighborhood looking better long term --- IMO keeping a house looking nice long term goes way beyond what the house is built with --- you can have a 4 sides brick home and have a crappy roof with shingles coming off or windows with torn screens or broken blinds hanging in the windows...or you can have 4 sides brick but have a yard full of weeds or overgrown grass or the paint on the garage door peeling or the paint on the trim chipping off ...
That describes an all brick house in Baja King William that I drool over - and it looks horrible. Amazing potential, but the place is falling apart

Old 04-21-2008, 12:58 PM

1,518 posts, read 2,761,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstxcop View Post

my parents have a home that is almost 50yrs old with vinyl siding on all 4 sides of their house --- they had the vinyl put on apx 20+ years ago --- but their home is one of the best looking on the block --- my mom has her yard landscaped to the "T" and keeps the lawn mowed and my dad keeps the paint fresh on the trim...

their neighbors, with all 4 sides brick, have a front yard that they equate to a junk yard, with stuff just thrown out there for all the world to see --- down the street the 4 sides brick home has a yard that is so overgrown you could lose a small child in there ---

i just think that home ownership and pride go hand in hand and that regardless of what your home is built out of ultimately it comes down to the people living in the home as to whether or not a neighborhood is going to be looking nice in 10-20 years...
I agree 100%

Old 04-21-2008, 11:00 PM

1,241 posts, read 4,333,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banker View Post
Do you sell new homes?

What is the purpose of this question?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio