Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 12:11 AM

409 posts, read 1,557,406 times

Advertisements

This is terrible! I am always SO afraid of something happening to out 'baby'! I'll be praying that they get their pup back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 04:14 PM

759 posts, read 3,681,062 times
Is he neutered?

One thing that helps when trying to find a "lost" dog is to, on the sign, say he needs medication. And if he's neutered, mention that.

Dogs are often stolen and used for breeding purposes... and in re: to the medication, no one wants to keep a sick dog!

Old 04-20-2008, 09:59 PM

337 posts, read 824,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren0319 View Post
Is he neutered?

One thing that helps when trying to find a "lost" dog is to, on the sign, say he needs medication. And if he's neutered, mention that.

Dogs are often stolen and used for breeding purposes... and in re: to the medication, no one wants to keep a sick dog!
No is still to young to be neutered. I saw my friend tonight and she is just crazy sick about him still not being back.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:25 AM

759 posts, read 3,681,062 times
Oh no.... that's not good. My dog was neutered at 3 months and he's a large breed. How old is the pup?
Sadly, chi's (and any breed really) can be stolen and used for breeding purposes (which is such a shame bc our city shelters are FULL of chi's needing homes and the last thing this city needs is someone breeding chi's and selling them for profit.)

I'll keep my fingers crossed for the little guy and hope he makes it home soon.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:27 AM

790 posts, read 1,875,502 times
I hope your friend finds her pooch. And you might suggest -- in a nice way -- that they keep their dogs on leashes when going out, even for a 'quick pee.' Dogs get distracted easily and can run away [or get taken]. Having your dogs on a leash is the best way to protect them [and, besides, it's the law in Bexar County]. Though I know some people find it a hassle to use a leash.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:04 PM

337 posts, read 824,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austindoxie1972 View Post
I hope your friend finds her pooch. And you might suggest -- in a nice way -- that they keep their dogs on leashes when going out, even for a 'quick pee.' Dogs get distracted easily and can run away [or get taken]. Having your dogs on a leash is the best way to protect them [and, besides, it's the law in Bexar County]. Though I know some people find it a hassle to use a leash.
Thanks, they were in their fenced in back yard. She would never just let them out to roam free. Thanks and hopefully things will turn out for them.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:40 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,399,158 times
I had the same misfortune in January, where I let my dogs out in the backyard and within 5 minutes they had found a hole in the fence and broken out. Unfortunately, one got hit and died almost immediately, and it tore my heart out. They'd never tried to break out before and I'm not sure why they did. I'm so lucky that I found his sister before she suffered the same fate.

My heart goes out to your friend and I truly hope she doesn't have to go through what my family did, as it's devastating.

And for the "leash" comment, there's a time and a place for that. Not here. That's a common sense statement and is pouring salt in a wound, saying "well if you did _____ your dog wouldn't be gone". Especially since what you assumed happened, didn't.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:05 AM

790 posts, read 1,875,502 times
Dogs are dependent on their owners to make sound and intelligent choices. When I had a back yard, I frequently walked the fence line to ensure there were no holes. Not just to protect my dog from getting out....but also to protect my dog from other animals/dogs getting in. I know, it sounds neurotic to walk the fence line [or maybe it's a shock of brilliance?], but I did it. Given the high number of dogs stolen in San Antonio, I was always vigilant with my pooch. My dog is lucky...I'm always thinking on her behalf, which is a cornerstone of dog ownership.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:20 AM

905 posts, read 2,949,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austindoxie1972 View Post
Dogs are dependent on their owners to make sound and intelligent choices. When I had a back yard, I frequently walked the fence line to ensure there were no holes. Not just to protect my dog from getting out....but also to protect my dog from other animals/dogs getting in. I know, it sounds neurotic to walk the fence line [or maybe it's a shock of brilliance?], but I did it. Given the high number of dogs stolen in San Antonio, I was always vigilant with my pooch. My dog is lucky...I'm always thinking on her behalf, which is a cornerstone of dog ownership.
I had to do the same thing in our yard, since one of our dogs figured out how to pop the bottom of the fence board and escape. Since then, we have reinforced the bottom of the fence with wire, boards, rock, you name it, to keep them from breaking free. I have no idea what was so interesting on the other side of the fence, but perhaps it was because they were getting bored in the back yard, or trying to chase the squirrels into the neighbor's yards. I still 'walk the fence line' -- the parts that I can't observe easily, just to make sure they haven't tried any thing new...

Old 04-22-2008, 10:25 AM

3,111 posts, read 9,181,427 times
I just bought an invisible fence last weekend. Haven't installed it yet but today our little guy is on a 30' tie out cable attached to a 30' cable run between trees. I am soooooo worried about him being tied up, I'm scared he is going to get wrapped around some trees while I'm not there. I have someone going by to check on him today.
I absolutely hated tying him up this morning and I told him I love you but you MUST stay in the yard while I'm gone. I hugged him and gave him lots of special attn this morning but I still think he was mad at me as we was glaring at me as I drove away.
I know it is for his own good but it still hurts.

Ms. Snake, any word on your friends puppy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio