Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 12:18 PM

529 posts, read 2,711,354 times

Advertisements

Please consider leaving the dog in the house as opposed to a tie-out when you aren't able to observe. Or taking the dog to doggie day care.

Invisible fences are okay, but I wouldn't rely on them. They require training to work and even after training, if a dog is determined, they will put up with the momentary shock to chase a squirrel out of the yard or something. Or what if there is a malfunction so that it doesn't deliver a shock or worse, the malfunction delivers too strong of a shock or a shock at the wrong time.

Also, an invisible fence isn't going to stop anything from getting in. - Humans or other animals. Which means, a human can easily walk into your yard and pick up your dog. Or if your dog is aggressive and someone gets hurt, you will still be blamed even though the person is traspassing.

Resons - not to tether without supervision:
Like you said - a dog can easily get tangled
being tangled the dog can seriously get injured or can't get to the water bowl in this heat.
-A dog can chew his/her tether and escape
-Chidren and/or sociopaths love to pick on dogs that are tied up.
-Other bigger or stronger dogs or animals can get to your dog and your dog will have no way run away

If you are worried about the dog going potty in the house, just confine him/her to a non carpeted area and clean it up when you get home.

I'm so sorry to get off topic and I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend's baby. I hope the puppy gets back home soon.

I feel I should mention one other off-topic issue that I have seen mentioned in this thread. Puppies can be fixed as soon as they are weaned - 6 weeks. I'm not blaming anyone by that statement. I've been working volunteering at a animal shelter for 6 years and they have been fixing puppies at 6 weeks old all that time. I know some people think they have to be so many months old or they have to have a littler first, I just want to put that out there in an area such as ours were we have the worse euthanasia rate of all cities in the U.S.

Once again, I'm so sorry for your friend.

Good luck and let us know if you have any leads or sightings. I will be on the lookout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtrkgrl View Post
I just bought an invisible fence last weekend. Haven't installed it yet but today our little guy is on a 30' tie out cable attached to a 30' cable run between trees. I am soooooo worried about him being tied up, I'm scared he is going to get wrapped around some trees while I'm not there. I have someone going by to check on him today.
I absolutely hated tying him up this morning and I told him I love you but you MUST stay in the yard while I'm gone. I hugged him and gave him lots of special attn this morning but I still think he was mad at me as we was glaring at me as I drove away.
I know it is for his own good but it still hurts.

Ms. Snake, any word on your friends puppy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 12:29 PM

3,111 posts, read 9,207,318 times
I know you mean well but this is the best solution for us. I will not leave my dog inside my house all day. He absolutely HATES it inside.
I have spoken with two different vets on the invisible fence and they assured me there is no harm done to the dog so that is the route that I will go.

I love my dog and this is only done for his own good. I live on a ranch so I do not have to worry about people walking by and messing with my dog or coming into my yard. I woke up on Sunday morning to a gunshot and I just knew that it was the guy from the neighboring ranch, who has livestock, shooting at my dog. I was relieved to find my dog inside my yard when I went out to check. I have had people tell me to put him in a kennel all day but I think that is more cruel than the invisible fence. He has a one acre yard to run around in, I hate to put him in a kennel.

It is very disturbing for me, but he will be shot if I continue to let him roam.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:31 PM

759 posts, read 3,689,421 times
Quote:
I just bought an invisible fence last weekend. Haven't installed it yet but today our little guy is on a 30' tie out cable attached to a 30' cable run between trees. I am soooooo worried about him being tied up, I'm scared he is going to get wrapped around some trees while I'm not there. I have someone going by to check on him today.
I absolutely hated tying him up this morning and I told him I love you but you MUST stay in the yard while I'm gone. I hugged him and gave him lots of special attn this morning but I still think he was mad at me as we was glaring at me as I drove away.
I know it is for his own good but it still hurts.
Please, I beg you to do your research on invisible fences. Dogs are NOT meant to be left out in an invisible fence alone. Any vet that tells you otherwise is dead wrong and I would find a new vet instantly. What is to stop another animal from getting in and harming your dog? NOTHING... absolutely nothing. Many dogs have a high prey drive and an invisible fence with not stop them. My cousin's ran through their invisible fence and got shocked over and over again bc in her panic she couldn't figure out how to get back in. And they were home at the time. Dogs have to be trained over and over again on how invisible fences work. And again dogs are not meant to be left unattended inside an invisible fence!!! That is not what they were designed for.

As far as tying up your dog, I am now very worried about him as well. That is no way for a dog to live. And it's actually illegal in the city of San Antonio, thank gawd.

MrsSnake... sorry to highjack (just think of it as another bump!)

Old 04-22-2008, 01:41 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,800,808 times
Okay, folks... we're getting way off-topic here. If you have any information to help the OP find the puppy, please continue to respond as we'd all like to see a happy ending here!

The other discussion only belongs in the dog forum - see: Dogs Forum - Relocation, Moving, Local City Discussions - City-Data Forum

Thanks!

Old 04-22-2008, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2sa View Post
Okay, folks... we're getting way off-topic here. If you have any information to help the OP find the puppy, please continue to respond as we'd all like to see a happy ending here!

The other discussion only belongs in the dog forum - see: Dogs Forum - Relocation, Moving, Local City Discussions - City-Data Forum

Thanks!
Sorry
I hope she finds her puppy. Any word yet? Have you checked the newspaper and the pound. I really hope we get some good news from the OP.

BTW, I just had someone check on my dog and he is happy as can be

Old 04-22-2008, 02:16 PM

Default http://salostpets.com/

Check with the pound is a great idea. And you must physically go there. They are too big of an organization to be able to really help over the phone. But they do have a website were they take pictures dogs they bring in. You could check that everyday. I just checked their site and I saw several chi's on there.
Lost Pet Search Results BB

Might want to check all the other shelters in SA as well. There are bunch of them.

Good luck

Quote:
Sorry
I hope she finds her puppy. Any word yet? Have you checked the newspaper and the pound. I really hope we get some good news from the OP.

BTW, I just had someone check on my dog and he is happy as can be

Old 04-22-2008, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenane View Post
Check with the pound is a great idea. And you must physically go there. They are too big of an organization to be able to really help over the phone. But they do have a website were they take pictures dogs they bring in. You could check that everyday. I just checked their site and I saw several chi's on there.

Might want to check all the other shelters in SA as well. There are bunch of them.

Good luck
Thanks for posting. That is a good site for anyone who has lost a pet.

Old 04-22-2008, 02:57 PM

Default Animal Shelters in SA

This is just a handful of the shelters in the SA area. I haven't updated in it years, but I know many on the list still exist.

Animal Shelters, Foster Networks, Animal Rights

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenane View Post

Good luck

Old 04-22-2008, 08:48 PM

337 posts, read 826,306 times
Thanks guys. Still no Antonio. I honestly think that someone came bye at the moment that her husband went to the bathroom and grabbed him.
I truly hope he makes it back home soon. Thanks for keeping your eyes open. The more people looking the harder it is to hide the cutie.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:08 AM

1,532 posts, read 3,698,898 times
Please check on craigslist. I was on there today, and there are a couple of dogs that match the description of your friends dog on there. I would just check and see if maybe it might be one of them. Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio