Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 12:48 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,001,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Talking about Austin hasexplosive growth from Cali, I believe SA has more Cali transplant then any other city in Texas. 90% of my subdivision are Cali transplant

All of our Cali transplants are not from San Francisco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2008, 12:50 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,234,959 times
I think the whole Californian thing is a stereotype. People move places from all over, not just from California. And there are very good people from California who move to places like Austin for example, that are just trying to make a better life for themselves. If some Austin natives were California natives instead many of them would look at doing the same thing, the cost of living here has gotten ridiculous.

I think where conflict happens is when people move somewhere expecting it to be as good or better as where they came from. Someone coming from let's say Orange County for example, shouldn't expect Austin to take the place of OC. They need to accept Austin for what it is and appreciate it, and at the same time still being proud of where they came from as nothing takes the place of home.

And I agree about people from San Antonio, so many of you seem very friendly and from what I have seen San Antonio looks nicer, but I've never been to either place so I can only go by photos and peoples opinions.

Old 04-19-2008, 01:37 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,371,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
And there you have it--who cares what they say on a message board? As long as they/we are friendly in person, that's a whole lot better!! If they were all "kumbaya" on here, and buttheads in real life, I think it would be far more disappointing!
Welcome to SA or Austin, whichever one you get sent to!
Thanks Sapphire! I'm sure I will be spending time in both places over the next 2 years. Speaking of that, does anyone know what the better hospitals in San Antonio are (to work at)?

You are so right....It is far better to meet someone in person and learn he/she is a great person. But based on some of the Austin posts, I am going to be wondering if it is a "fake" niceness

Old 04-19-2008, 01:41 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,371,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
As a transplant to San Antonio myself, I can only say that I've never felt any resentment at all from the natives. In fact, I married one. Even his family likes me.

I also am very clear that I am NOT a "Texan". I am an Illinoisian (downstater, thanks) who happens to live in San Antonio. Only people who were born in Texas are native Texans. So. When people try to say I'm FROM Texas, I say, "No, I LIVE in Texas, I'm FROM central Illinois."

Anyway. Move here. You'll love it. The winters are fabulous! I do miss spring and fall though. And I get mighty sick of the summer...but the winter makes up for it.
I have never felt any resentment from locals in Austin when I vacationed there over the past 10 years, however only a few knew of my plans to move there. And the ones who know are very welcoming. In fact, one has become a dear friend of mine.
I will always be from Pittsburgh--I bleed black & gold for the Steelers, but I do love the Texan way of life
I am looking forward to the winters in South Texas! I do love the heat though too!

Last edited by TexasGirl@Heart; 04-19-2008 at 01:42 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-19-2008, 03:04 PM

3 posts, read 6,524 times
We are thinking of relocating around the Hill Country area. What is the weather like there in the winter? How is the housing market and what is the year round weather like there. We live in Arizona and it is getting to hot and to expensive here.

Old 04-19-2008, 03:08 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,823,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polishmemaw View Post
We are thinking of relocating around the Hill Country area. What is the weather like there in the winter? How is the housing market and what is the year round weather like there. We live in Arizona and it is getting to hot and to expensive here.

What do you mean by "getting" too hot in AZ? It's always been hot, hot , hot.

Old 04-19-2008, 03:10 PM

3 posts, read 6,524 times
There are also a lot of California transplants moving here to Arizona and buying up a lot of properties so they can rent them out. Since they have been moving here this whole valley has really changed. They call Phoenix Little LA. Now those people are very rude and snobbish.

Old 04-19-2008, 08:11 PM

285 posts, read 677,763 times
[quote=LindaGrace;3511373]I also am very clear that I am NOT a "Texan". I am an Illinoisian (downstater, thanks) who happens to live in San Antonio. Only people who were born in Texas are native Texans. So. When people try to say I'm FROM Texas, I say, "No, I LIVE in Texas, I'm FROM central Illinois." quote]

Although I sadly will never be able to say I'm a native, I have been a Texan at heart since I lived in San Antonio for one year in 1967 and in Austin for college from 1970-73.

I was born in Ohio, moved to Georgia when I was 4, and have lived in Virginia for most of the past 35 years, but the second I see the moving van pull away from our home here and I hop in my car I'll be heading HOME to Texas!

If you don't agree, please humor me.

Lori

Old 04-19-2008, 08:17 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,029,649 times
[quote=Texan in Virginia;3514576]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
I also am very clear that I am NOT a "Texan". I am an Illinoisian (downstater, thanks) who happens to live in San Antonio. Only people who were born in Texas are native Texans. So. When people try to say I'm FROM Texas, I say, "No, I LIVE in Texas, I'm FROM central Illinois." quote]

Although I sadly will never be able to say I'm a native, I have been a Texan at heart since I lived in San Antonio for one year in 1967 and in Austin for college from 1970-73.

I was born in Ohio, moved to Georgia when I was 4, and have lived in Virginia for most of the past 35 years, but the second I see the moving van pull away from our home here and I hop in my car I'll be heading HOME to Texas!

If you don't agree, please humor me.

Lori
I won't humor you! I'm a WisCaliVirginTexican myself, and that's just the way it is. I've lived here longer than I've lived anywhere--got here in 1985 and I locked the gate and threw away the key. I love Texas, my kids are "true Texans", and I'm stayin'. My next move is up. (*points to the sky*)

Welcome home!!

Old 04-19-2008, 08:21 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
I'm a WisCaliVirginTexican myself
I guess that makes me an OhiNYTennWisTexan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio