Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2019, 06:05 PM

422 posts, read 756,998 times

Advertisements

I do not go anywhere past 410 NORTH EVER! I avoid the northside like the plague. Plus high taxes...first thing I told the realtor I DO NOT want to live on the North Side before you tell me that they have great schools I'm a teacher it ain't the schools...our son is an A student top of his class. I have masters and I came from a city down in the valley with population of 3000. SO no the schools don't matter you want to travel that nightmare that they call 281, I-10, and 35n go for it...all you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2019, 07:35 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tejano2828 View Post
I do not go anywhere past 410 NORTH EVER! I avoid the northside like the plague. Plus high taxes...first thing I told the realtor I DO NOT want to live on the North Side before you tell me that they have great schools I'm a teacher it ain't the schools...our son is an A student top of his class. I have masters and I came from a city down in the valley with population of 3000. SO no the schools don't matter you want to travel that nightmare that they call 281, I-10, and 35n go for it...all you want.

I'm not arguing your beliefs and how you raised your children. I'm sure your son is great and did well, because of you and your expectations. And if I'm not wrong, tax rate is the same for the county. Your tax rate may be slightly different based on your school district though. So, saying that you don't want to live in an NISD area because the taxes are higher is kind of a crap reason not to live on the Northside.

A student who has a 95 at Harlandale is not the same student who gets a 95 at Brandeis or O Connor, I'm sorry. I see this in urban Austin and heard of it in SAISD. Solid A+ students at under performing, low income schools opt out of going to LASA (a continuously top rated US Weekly magnet school) to go to their B- ranked (according to new state standards) school so they rank higher and then can get in top 10%. Then they get into UT and bail after a semester because the coursework is too rigorous and they hardly took 1 AP class because the school was too bust offering technical career classes because that's what the school demands.

Old 12-10-2019, 08:08 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
They're already planning to expand 1604 to four lanes between Bandera and I-10. http://www.texashighwayman.com/lp1604exp.shtml

Old 12-11-2019, 06:52 AM

36 posts, read 25,691 times
Default Wowee!!

This is indeed a huge undertaking at one billion dollars in cost of this Loop 1604 segment. This is indeed tremendous and good news.
The traffic will probably be in a snarl until it is completed due to lane closures etc. during the completion of this project. It could only take one year to complete in some areas of the country but here it will take probably five. This stuff takes longer here than any other place I have ever seen. Unless enough of us complain to our representative. I have never seen anything like the snails pace done here by these road building jockeys. It is beyond ridiculous, it is ludicrous.
Really. They get away with murder here, time wise. A good job is done make no mistake, it is high quality work,Beautiful, but labor is so undercompensated that there is no sense of urgency at all from either labor or management here. Costs are cheap.
Never have I seen work at such a snails pace down our roads and highways with projects taking multiple times longer than any place I have ever seen, in the many years I have been experiencing this. All over the place too. It is as though no one gives a dang. The larger Contractors rule the roost do to huge influences.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
They're already planning to expand 1604 to four lanes between Bandera and I-10. http://www.texashighwayman.com/lp1604exp.shtml

Old 12-11-2019, 10:42 AM

3,163 posts, read 1,726,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loquacious View Post
This is indeed a huge undertaking at one billion dollars in cost of this Loop 1604 segment. This is indeed tremendous and good news.
The traffic will probably be in a snarl until it is completed due to lane closures etc. during the completion of this project. It could only take one year to complete in some areas of the country but here it will take probably five. This stuff takes longer here than any other place I have ever seen. Unless enough of us complain to our representative. I have never seen anything like the snails pace done here by these road building jockeys. It is beyond ridiculous, it is ludicrous.
Really. They get away with murder here, time wise. A good job is done make no mistake, it is high quality work,Beautiful, but labor is so undercompensated that there is no sense of urgency at all from either labor or management here. Costs are cheap.
Never have I seen work at such a snails pace down our roads and highways with projects taking multiple times longer than any place I have ever seen, in the many years I have been experiencing this. All over the place too. It is as though no one gives a dang. The larger Contractors rule the roost do to huge influences.
You should have seen how long it took for them to complete the 410-I 10 intersection near Wonder Land during the mid-80s. It felt like it lasted 10 years.

Old 12-11-2019, 11:18 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,329,790 times
I recall during that mess, folks said why don't you work during all the long daylight hours during the summer. The government or company mouth piece said they didn't want to disturb the people who lived near there in the evening. But no one lived near there. It was all commercial. Obviously there is money to be made in the slow pace. It is the same with most projects. You see long stretch of road. They prepare the whole thing and then start some work and go down the whole road again. Not being an engineer, but it seems to me that you could prepare section A, and then move to B. Finish A as B is worked on. Rather it is prepare and then work on A-Z months later. I'm told they work that way on German highways.

Don't forget they screw up and then have to rip it up and do it again because some sub was a clown show (whose cousin was that?).

Old 12-11-2019, 11:20 AM

624 posts, read 906,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tejano2828 View Post
Tax rates
AHISD $1.19
NEISD $1.29
NISD $1.30
SO San ISD$1.45
Harlandale $1.49
SAISD $1.53
Tax rates lower in north SA, but over all tax bill higher location, location, location.

Last edited by BillyH; 12-11-2019 at 11:42 AM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 12-11-2019, 04:27 PM

Default Dabble In,

A little dabble here and a little dabble there to build and pave a road you wrote of here?
It is as though the Original Contractor filed bankruptcy and did not have to complete the work and then another contractor took over the work. The project may have changed hands? I do not know.
These excessive delays happen not only in roadbuilding but in the commercial projects too. A slower pace due to the heat is somewhat understandable. Heatstroke , heart attacks, exhaustion, sure.
I have noticed city roads also take- forever plus a day. There is no bad ground here in this part of the country, there is not a reason one for such excessive time for completion of these projects. The excavation here is all very, very, cut and dried here. No muck.
No pun intended. This is not the Alaska Highway.

One street overly long in delays, in particular, I noticed here was UTSA Blvd. Also known as tx53-spur, in northwest San Antonio. I do not remember the name of the street contractor but it took two or three years to complete about a three or four mile stretch of street.
UTSA Blvd. from where it intersects with Babcock, due southwest- to the intersection where the Costco sits @ near I-10. This is very nearly only a mile of street completed, per year.
This is a snails pace indeed. A Desert tortoise could walk this distance more quickly.
I have never seen such tomfoolery as this example. It is crazy. For all I know it is still, incomplete. I would not be startled by such news. Some may have retired off this one project alone. Milking it; for all it is worth.

At other times some brand new concrete pavement does not pass the state's tests for hardness, porosity or some other reason after it has been poured, paved and cured. Yes. So? Rip out and Replace it. It happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM-Texas View Post
I recall during that mess, folks said why don't you work during all the long daylight hours during the summer. The government or company mouth piece said they didn't want to disturb the people who lived near there in the evening. But no one lived near there. It was all commercial. Obviously there is money to be made in the slow pace. It is the same with most projects. You see long stretch of road. They prepare the whole thing and then start some work and go down the whole road again. Not being an engineer, but it seems to me that you could prepare section A, and then move to B. Finish A as B is worked on. Rather it is prepare and then work on A-Z months later. I'm told they work that way on German highways.

Don't forget they screw up and then have to rip it up and do it again because some sub was a clown show (whose cousin was that?).

Old 12-12-2019, 06:36 AM

4,437 posts, read 5,348,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyH View Post
Tax rates
AHISD $1.19
NEISD $1.29
NISD $1.30
SO San ISD$1.45
Harlandale $1.49
SAISD $1.53
Tax rates lower in north SA, but over all tax bill higher location, location, location.
Facts hurt.

Old 12-15-2019, 07:47 AM

Default Debatable,

Ashbeeigh. You must be an educator, and a fine one whom knows her subject. However I must make a statement to counter, for inner city kids.
This statement to cover all kids from Harlandale , Highlands and other inner city schools with a blanket of inadequateness and ill-prepared for University studies might be somewhat inaccurate. More than just a little.
There are some kids who are simply not college material. Sure.
However I , was an ill educated "City Kid" as was my Dad, hell, was a farm kid who graduated from Sidney Lanier High and you might be astonished at Dad's career and, life. Without doubt actually. Mom and Dad do not want to be mentioned here or else I might say.
Never mind the twins.
I do not swallow this for a moment, this categorization of children of non-privilege. Nah.
To say that what is inside of these children is more important, is more accurate. In spite of Advanced placement classes. Querida.
I have four sons, two, who were in gifted and talented programs and two, not. To write at this time
that the ones that were in the G&T classes are more successful is inaccurate. All are doing well however. Please do not misunderstand what I write.
One son tested in the top five percent of all first graders in achievement tests in the country and is now, a plumber. A straight A kid- he was. Even in college. He quit college and is now a plumbing contractor and doing very well. To say the least. He wasn't even motivated as far as scholastics is concerned though.
One with only a high school degree is doing even better in a technical field. So far.
A rant or bragging rights is not the aim of this post, it is to say that what you are saying to this man @ Harlandale ,
"Ain't neessarily so." I wanted to put in my couple cents worth in defense of people.
Though it is essentially an entirely accurate post yes, it is not, entirely accurate.
I am sure your knowledge is far greater than mine. Having had all this real world experience of rearing kids and family history, I have entered it.
Betsy Devoss wants to gut the educational system for we, the people ? Might I be wrong? The American Federation of teachers is on C-Span right now and saying essentially, this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I'm not arguing your beliefs and how you raised your children. I'm sure your son is great and did well, because of you and your expectations. And if I'm not wrong, tax rate is the same for the county. Your tax rate may be slightly different based on your school district though. So, saying that you don't want to live in an NISD area because the taxes are higher is kind of a crap reason not to live on the Northside.

A student who has a 95 at Harlandale is not the same student who gets a 95 at Brandeis or O Connor, I'm sorry. I see this in urban Austin and heard of it in SAISD. Solid A+ students at under performing, low income schools opt out of going to LASA (a continuously top rated US Weekly magnet school) to go to their B- ranked (according to new state standards) school so they rank higher and then can get in top 10%. Then they get into UT and bail after a semester because the coursework is too rigorous and they hardly took 1 AP class because the school was too bust offering technical career classes because that's what the school demands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio