Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 11:30 PM

9 posts, read 20,351 times

Advertisements

Thanks. Pool isn't necessary since we're going to Seaworld anyway. But ideally we'd like to have a fridge in the room.

The valencia seems a bit too rustic judging from their website pics. The Contessa is particularly interesting because of their bed and breakfast program (a big plus for me), but I like La Mansion the best based on their pics.
Unless if anyone can suggest an excellent breakfast place within short walking distance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 01:21 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,820,840 times
The Valencia is anything BUT rustic: It's basically San Antonio's version of a W hotel. Very sleek, dark and contemporary.

The Watermark is hands down the top hotel in town. Both Conde Nast and T&L rate it tops in the country with a spa to match. Expensive, but worth it. I'd advise going through the FHR/AMEX program or Virtuoso to get the upgrade packages available. Always worked for me.

Painted Lady, albeit a weird location, is always a winner in my book.

Haven't stayed at the Vista Riverwalk (another new B&B). Located right on Commerce Street. Looks to be great riverwalk views, huge factory windows and large rooms. Decent prices too.

La Mansion is in a bit of a slump right now. What was once a great property has turned into a run-of-the-mill convention hotel. Omni hasn't put much money into it since they bought it out years ago.

Also, have a look-see at the Emily Morgan Hotel. Contemporary and some of the best bedding in Texas.

BN

Old 09-04-2008, 08:39 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,366,291 times
Being a tourist city, the rates at hotels on the River Walk will vary considerably depending on what is going on, re: conventions, Fiesta, weddings....and time of year. May is a big travel month toward the end of the month after school gets out. Most public schools finish on or around Memorial day and universities are done mid to early May.

When you narrow your list, call the hotels directly and talk to their in house reservations. Ask them about off peak rates. If you have any flexibility in your travel dates, you should be able to find something in your price range.

I also second the Palacio Del Rio (Hilton) since they have totally remodeled. It's got great views on either side...and just about the best location on the River Walk and possibly the most affordable. The others listed are wonderful hotels as well, but may be a bit more expensive.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:10 AM

9 posts, read 20,351 times
Thanks.
We're planning to spend two nights at the riverwalk and then move to SeaWorld area for easy access, maybe for another two nights, and then maybe go to Austin. Not sure.

But since this will be our first time in SA, I'd like it to be the most memorable, within a reasonable cost of course. The rates at the hotels mentioned above are around $200-$250 a night (late December around Christmas), not including parking and tax, which I think will be worth it. I'm particularly excited, it'll be pretty over there in December I bet. The watermark starts from $309 and up and it's a bit much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio