Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2020, 11:37 AM

3 posts, read 4,450 times

Advertisements

My husband is a veteran and we decided to stay in Texas after he got out of the army. We’ve lived in San Antonio for 5 years now in the medical center area. We’ve outgrown our apartment with the addition of our second child and renting a 3 bedroom apartment or house cost as much as a mortgage around here. We visited a development on the SE side and the neighborhood seemed quite and I saw that their were a lot of other builders building in the nearby vicinity, KB homes, LGI, Lennar, Dr Horton. My questions are:
1) is this area relatively safe
2) how is East central ISD (I’ve heard mixed reviews and am considering sending my 1st grader to a charter school
3) is the area safe
4) are their plans to build up this area, because their doesn’t seem to be much to do in the immediate vicinity but I’ve seen so many new build homes around here.
*my job is pretty flexible so tbh the area I live in doesn’t matter but my budget is limited to under 217k for a home and I have certain specifications in floor plan that only two builders around here seem to offer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2020, 03:18 PM

9,850 posts, read 13,693,812 times
Try searching CD based on zip code. There are great stats based on zip code and at the bottom they show threads with keywords for the area. What is the general area you are looking into that is "southeast"? Do those builders have any other communities throughout SA? You are in a good school area in the Medical Center. ECISD is not going to be the same as NISD. ECISD is a mix of still rural communities and low income communities. I'm a huge proponent of public schools and would caution against moving to an area that doesn't have schools that are up to your standards. Charters can close at anytime because they area business and at times, if your kids have any special needs, could say that it's a not a good fit and kick them out. I see it all the time in Austin.

Old 01-12-2020, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Try searching CD based on zip code. There are great stats based on zip code and at the bottom they show threads with keywords for the area. What is the general area you are looking into that is "southeast"? Do those builders have any other communities throughout SA? You are in a good school area in the Medical Center. ECISD is not going to be the same as NISD. ECISD is a mix of still rural communities and low income communities. I'm a huge proponent of public schools and would caution against moving to an area that doesn't have schools that are up to your standards. Charters can close at anytime because they area business and at times, if your kids have any special needs, could say that it's a not a good fit and kick them out. I see it all the time in Austin.
Thank you! I had looked up the zip code in city data (78222) and they few articles I found were older. Thank you for the info on the school district I couldn’t find much info on it, I was considering sending my son to an IDEA charter school and I also applied for SAISD parents choice. I wish I could stay in the medical center but we’ve outgrown our current apartment and buying a home in that area was out of budget. I’ll definitely look into other areas then, I know they are building homes (DR Horton) that are in the Southwest independent school district, do you know if that’s better than east central or are they pretty equal?

Old 01-12-2020, 04:38 PM

9,850 posts, read 13,693,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanna544 View Post
Thank you! I had looked up the zip code in city data (78222) and they few articles I found were older. Thank you for the info on the school district I couldn’t find much info on it, I was considering sending my son to an IDEA charter school and I also applied for SAISD parents choice. I wish I could stay in the medical center but we’ve outgrown our current apartment and buying a home in that area was out of budget. I’ll definitely look into other areas then, I know they are building homes (DR Horton) that are in the Southwest independent school district, do you know if that’s better than east central or are they pretty equal?
Are you working with a realtor to see if there are older homes that may meet your expectations? Are you desf set on a new build? I don’t know a lot about SWISD. Someone else may be able to chime in.

Old 02-01-2020, 03:53 PM

268 posts, read 357,529 times
I've lived on the SE Side for over 40 yrs.

Let me know if i can help.

Old 02-06-2020, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dihappy View Post
I've lived on the SE Side for over 40 yrs.

Let me know if i can help.
Thank you, but we ended up not buying the home on the SE side, the builder had another subdivision on the far west side that we were able to transfer our contract to, so we decided to go with that one and now we’re just waiting for the home to be built.

Old 02-26-2020, 08:39 AM

11 posts, read 21,035 times
Default Where on the west side?

Can you tell me your builder/community? I’m looking too. I haven’t been back to SA in 6 years and I’m trying to do research from Dallas. Thanks!

Old 01-09-2021, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanna544 View Post
Thank you, but we ended up not buying the home on the SE side, the builder had another subdivision on the far west side that we were able to transfer our contract to, so we decided to go with that one and now we’re just waiting for the home to be built.

Congratulations, how did your move go?
Can you disclose your builder? Any issues?

I helped some clients purchase a KB recently and this was October, home is still about 4 months from completion.

Old 01-09-2021, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noclue View Post
Can you tell me your builder/community? I’m looking too. I haven’t been back to SA in 6 years and I’m trying to do research from Dallas. Thanks!
Noclue,
Feel free to contact me, i'm happy to help.

Old 01-13-2021, 03:10 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,427,891 times
So even though you already found your home, to anybody else who wonders about crime in a certain area, do subscribe to the spotcrime report. You get daily emails telling you how much crime is happening around you. It's personalized and it's free.

https://spotcrime.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio