U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2020, 11:08 PM

6 posts, read 3,076 times

Advertisements

We are moving to SA in the next few months and having the hardest time figuring out which area or neighborhoods. Ive never been anywhere except downtown. We currently live in DFW, Keller/Southlake area, we are late 30s, three kids 12 and under. What we love about living here and hoping to find there is its a cute suburb feel for quiet when we want it, but close (15ish minute max)to shopping and restaurants. No crazy traffic just to take our kids to their friends or the grocery store, or to run short errands. (but of course i expect traffic when we hit busy roads to go shopping, etc...highways to work...) We also like how the neighborhoods around us here have side or back garages and a little bigger lots so the houses arent 5 feet apart. Just a little bigger, not much, I dont want an acre or anything. Big mature trees scattered around is on my wish list, we have 4 big oaks currently....

Schools are also very important. Actually #1 on my list. Elementary, Middle and High. Hoping for low crime in the area we move to, families all around, etc. A good dyslexia and speech program in the schools. Ive started narrowing it down and have been looking into North San Antonio the last few days mainly. Comal County ISD and NEISD. Timberwood Park, Stone Oak, etc... Timberwood i notice are building a lot of new schools and dont have a lot of rating info or reviews for them, (like Pieper Middle and a new HS i guess opens next year...)so i guess i need help about just that area in general and what the "talk" is. Do people love it, hate it? Stone oak seems to have two good feeders into Regan and Johnson, is one better than the other? Are there other areas i should look into as well during this journey? Is it true if i buy a home in say JoeX Middle School boundary, if they say they are full my kids cant go? Even if we live in that boundary? (thats never the case here)

Any help or advice from locals would be amazing! Thank you!

Last edited by B480; 01-22-2020 at 11:29 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2020, 08:10 AM

7,901 posts, read 10,135,345 times
Either is a solid choice. Traffic will be bad no matter where you go in that area. Is a commute a concern? Where will work be? Or do y'all have jobs yet? If for some reason your job is way on the southside of town a drive from Timberwood Park would be almost as dreadful as Dallas traffic. What is bearable for you? Do you want to be near things? Shopping? Outdoor activities? Restaurants? Or is suburbia what you're looking for? What is your budget? You may also want to try a search of the forum for more insight about those areas.

Old 01-23-2020, 08:31 AM

2,383 posts, read 1,181,745 times
Alamo Heights > Johnson > Reagan when it comes to public schools

Old 01-23-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
What makes you say that, especially based on their wants? If they want something Southlake-y I think they've identified a pretty solid option.

Old 01-23-2020, 06:17 PM

908 posts, read 738,501 times
TWP is kind of redneck in my opinion, so if you're into that kind of thing, I would choose there. If I had to do it all over again I would do Shavano Park.

Old 01-23-2020, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashfearless View Post
TWP is kind of redneck in my opinion, so if you're into that kind of thing, I would choose there. If I had to do it all over again I would do Shavano Park.
Do Shavano Park kids still go to Clark? Or do they go to Brandeis? I'm all about the Clark life as an alumni, but I don't get the vibes that it's the "best" school or feeder pattern.

Old 01-24-2020, 01:02 AM

1,307 posts, read 1,911,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Sorry, not anymore. Pretty much every ranking has Reagan much higher than Heights and even Johnson now. I thought Johnson was similar to Reagan but I met a Johnson mom a few weeks ago who described it as laid back compared to Reagan. Last year Reagan had over 200 Summa *** Laude graduates. That said, competition is insane-the top 10% have at least a 100 gpa with the top 25% having A averages at Reagan. If you’re bent on UT you might not want Reagan. With 110+ GPA my son wasn’t accepted at UT but is through the interview stage at much more elite schools and has a great scholarship/honors offer from an out of state school higher ranked in his major. In retrospect we should have moved to Timberwood...

Old 01-24-2020, 01:06 AM

1,307 posts, read 1,911,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Do Shavano Park kids still go to Clark? Or do they go to Brandeis? I'm all about the Clark life as an alumni, but I don't get the vibes that it's the "best" school or feeder pattern.
According to the boundaries Shavano feeds into Clark not Brandeis

Old 01-24-2020, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat4 View Post
According to the boundaries Shavano feeds into Clark not Brandeis
That’s what I thought. NISD would be insane if they moved Shavano park kids from the Hobby —> Clark pattern. I recall when Rawlinson opened it being a thing when they kept shavano park kids at Hobby. I wonder how many shags I park students go to basis on lock hill-Delma. (I’m strongly opposed to charters and live and die by public education).

Old 01-24-2020, 05:38 PM

6 posts, read 3,076 times
Thanks! Budget is $600,000 and under. We do have jobs there, but I'll be the only one driving to the office. Its right off 410, in between I10 and Bandera. My husband will continue to work from home. Commute isnt that big a deal as long as its under an hour, the neighboorhood and schools are more important. I dont want to live near downtown where Alamo Heights is. The last time i was there for work i stayed for two weeks in a VRBO there, its much to crowded and doesnt have the suburb feel im looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio