U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2008, 10:07 AM

5,615 posts, read 13,508,468 times

Advertisements

During the inspection process for the house I have an offer out on we discovered that the roof is more or less at the end of its useful life. I'm not sure how negotiations will go, but one of the things I've been looking into is replacing it with a metal roof. If they cover the cost of a standard one I was thinking I could kick in the rest to get a better roof. There's a house down the street that looks like it has one (the kind that looks like tile) so I'm not too worried about HOA issues. But is it worth it? How much more than the cost of a regular roof does this typically run? How about energy savings, tax deductions, and insurance discounts? There's gotta be some experience with this here.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 10:15 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,080 posts, read 34,817,411 times
I have heard many radio commercials and testimonials from local radio personalities for metal roofs installed by this place. They could probably give you the info you seek and references by customers.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:24 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,359,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
During the inspection process for the house I have an offer out on we discovered that the roof is more or less at the end of its useful life. I'm not sure how negotiations will go, but one of the things I've been looking into is replacing it with a metal roof. If they cover the cost of a standard one I was thinking I could kick in the rest to get a better roof. There's a house down the street that looks like it has one (the kind that looks like tile) so I'm not too worried about HOA issues. But is it worth it? How much more than the cost of a regular roof does this typically run? How about energy savings, tax deductions, and insurance discounts? There's gotta be some experience with this here.
I know westcreek doesn't allow metal roofing, we already researched it. I don't understand why and I wish they would reconsider. It is so much for durable. We were watching a diy show last night and they were doing a metal roof (may have been This Old House) and the salesman was saying you can get a 30% discount on insurance. I cant remember how much energy savings but it was quite a bit (they were doing a Texas house because they were talking about the hot sun and how well the metal reflects it) I also dont know the footage on the house they were doing but it was going to cost about $10,000. (it looked about average size) And the roofing they used was from recyclable material.

We have a metal roof on our house up north and we have been very happy with it.

Last edited by luckygreeniii; 04-22-2008 at 10:26 AM.. Reason: adding info

Old 04-22-2008, 10:54 AM

529 posts, read 2,563,765 times
I called one of those companies that are always on TV - I think it was factory direct. I told them I wanted them to come out and do an estimate. Well, I must have sounded poor over the phone because the receptionist said (in a very condesending tone) "it's going to cost 3 to 6 times the cost of a regular roof.
I have read posts in other forums that said medal roofs can be a little loud when it rains. I don't know. I never went through with putting one on my house.

I was attracted to them because they said you can sometimes put it right on top of your original roof. I liked that idea. My roof wasn't having any problems but it was older. I would hate to take off an good roof then start having problems.

If I were you, I would still ask the HOA to be sure. Just because you see a metal roof in the neighborhood, doesn't mean that it is allowed. That person might be in a legal battle with the HOA right now.

My convenants state that all animals must be restrained on a leash on in a yard, but loose dogs run around all over the place.

Oh yeah, I would only do a metal roof if I were planning on living in the house a very long time. I'm not expert but I doubt that you would back very much of your investment if you sold the house with the metal roof.

Good luck!

Old 04-22-2008, 11:18 AM

We have a metal roof on our house in WI, we never noticed that it was loud. Up there we got lots of snow, the roof warms up and big chunks slide down all the time. That was noisy sometimes! (not really an issue down here, huh?) More expensive yes, but if you calculate having to replace a regular roof, you are probably saving money. (again, the guy on tv last night said it should last 40 years +)

Old 04-22-2008, 11:41 AM

4,278 posts, read 8,741,297 times
When I lived in the tropics with a metal roof it was loud, but that's because there was no attic.

Our house here in SA has a metal roof and we don't hear the rain anymore than normal, but we have an attic. Maybe it's louder up there. Metal is much more durable, you don't need to replace it as much and it's supposed to be more energy efficient, but I don't have any data for you.

All I can say is we much prefer our metal roof to anything else (well, I like tile, but that wouldn't work on this house)

Honestly, after living in the tropics, though, I prefer the sound of the rain on metal....brings back fond memories.

Last edited by Chaka; 04-22-2008 at 11:51 AM..

Old 04-22-2008, 11:47 AM

5,615 posts, read 13,508,468 times
Thanks for all the info; it's a lot to take into consideration. I'm really not sure how it'd affect the resale of the place and who knows how long I'll be there. Guessing 5 years at the moment but you never know how it works. My parents thought 5 years back in 1976 and they're still in the same house...

I'm not even sure how or where the HOA meets or operates. If I decide to look more into it I guess I'll have to make sure it'd be ok, then get someone out to have a look, take into account tax deductions, energy costs and insurance to work out the true break even point. Not enough info at the moment I guess since they're all still kind of unknowns.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
When I lived in the tropics with a metal roof it was loud, but that's because there was no attic.

Our house here in SA has a metal roof and we don't hear the rain anymore than normal, but we have an attic. Maybe it's louder up there. Metal is much more durable, you don't need to replace it as much and it's supposed to be more energy efficient, but I don't have any data for you.

All I can say is we much prefer our metal roof to anything else (well, I like tile, but that wouldn't work on this house)
Our house doesnt have an attic either but I honestly didn't notice except when we got hail!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio