Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2020, 12:05 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,409,515 times

Advertisements

Thanks to the mayor, he has created a panic. One positive test and the city is in upheaval.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2020, 12:11 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,832,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar View Post
Thanks to the mayor, he has created a panic. One positive test and the city is in upheaval.
As much as I have NO use for the mayor, I'm not gonna blame him - it's the idiots out there stocking up like it's the End of the World to blame. We're well stocked (always are) - and folks are buying in quantities that'll last them a year. Friend watched a guy going down the meat section at one of our local grocers, literally filling two carts with meat. We're taking bets on how much of it will be freezer burned by the time he gets to the point of actually eating it.

Old 03-14-2020, 12:27 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,409,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
As much as I have NO use for the mayor, I'm not gonna blame him - it's the idiots out there stocking up like it's the End of the World to blame. We're well stocked (always are) - and folks are buying in quantities that'll last them a year. Friend watched a guy going down the meat section at one of our local grocers, literally filling two carts with meat. We're taking bets on how much of it will be freezer burned by the time he gets to the point of actually eating it.

If the mayor and Jeanne Travis has pronounced Fiesta was on schedule, the only run would have been on
cascarones.

Old 03-14-2020, 01:10 PM

5,576 posts, read 6,504,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post

Why? Just, why? Can someone here, who has fallen into this hysteria, please reply so the rest of us sane people can maybe understand your mindset? TYIA.

Old 03-14-2020, 01:35 PM

1,033 posts, read 875,406 times
People are selfish sheep in times like these

Old 03-14-2020, 02:02 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,613,847 times
From what I've read, H.E.B. has a good grip on the situation and plenty to restock with.

Old 03-14-2020, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
Why? Just, why? Can someone here, who has fallen into this hysteria, please reply so the rest of us sane people can maybe understand your mindset? TYIA.
I'm in Phoenix. Most of the cleared out shelves in the grocery store last night were items with long shelf lives - flour, canned goods, pasta, frozen veggies, etc. Plenty of dairy and veggies in stock though. If you or a family member are suddenly told to self-quarantine for whatever reason, the last thing you should be doing is zipping up to the grocery store for a last shopping trip. I suspect many are buying in the off-chance that they, their family, or their neighborhood is locked down. It's happing in other countries, and has in a few spots already here in the U.S. I do think the hoarders are overreacting, but those buying 3-4 weeks worth now instead of their normal weekly allotment aren't being all that nuts, just proactive.

Old 03-14-2020, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar View Post
I flew into town Thursday and stopped by my neighborhood H-E-B for a few essentials. I was astonished to find the parking lot full and non locals with three and four shopping carts full of toilet paper and water.

Folks, the pandemic is short-lived. By mid April, the worst will be over and by mid May, an asterisk.

San Antonio has one case and that is travel related. Anyone know anyone ANYWHERE affected?

How about the Swine Flu 2009, anyone catch it or know anyone who did?
The difference is with Swine Flu, entire families were not quarantined for 14 days at a pop. Big difference. Yes, I do think many are overeacting. But those stocking up with an additional 2-3 weeks of nonperishable foods? That's proactive, not panic IMO. I used to do the same when I lived in Florida. I'd stock up for hurricane season in June, then eat it after hurricane season ended if it was an uneventful season.

Old 03-14-2020, 11:21 PM

61,691 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
From what I've read, H.E.B. has a good grip on the situation and plenty to restock with.
Great business time for HEB and other stores.

Old 03-15-2020, 03:42 AM

4,062 posts, read 5,644,222 times
Did you hear about the new HEB hours, from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.? From what I've seen and heard, there were big problems...when restocking high-demand items while store was open, there had been fights between customers and chaotic grab-athons. Then they put in item limits and had guards close the aisle, followed by stockers who came, then they started letting a few customers at a time come in without carts and leave with the items. Seeing as many empty shelves as I saw Friday night, I was disappointed. Couldn't get the same milk I usually do, couldn't get the big refill brand for my hand soap in the bathrooms, couldn't get the meat I wanted, etc. I did finally get t.p. and paper towels after the restocking started, but it was weird. The guards must get expensive. Earlier in the day, I had gone to Sprouts and everything looked fairly normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio