U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2020, 02:29 PM

15,589 posts, read 6,540,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyk47 View Post
I think you have an inflated idea of the number, size, and capabilities of US military installations overseas but would allow South Korea and maybe Diego Garcia could handle a few hundred. Hopefully it won’t come to that and the situation gets under control quickly. The “worry meter” hasn’t really moved yet. When the Federal and local government take over say the Alamodome and the AT&T Center then we’d have a really serious problem. Meanwhile Elnina makes a good point and US citizens should be brought back to the US.

Inflated idea? That's funny.

"Despite recently closing hundreds of bases in Iraq and Afghanistan, the United States still maintains nearly 800 military bases in more than 70 countries and territories abroad"
https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...e-world-119321

What exactly is a quarantine? It is the isolation of people who *potentially* have a contagious disease from being around other people in order to prevent spread of the disease. Correct? You have any issue with that? So to that effect, it would seem prudent to not have those isolated people near major population centers. And the plan to remove those who display symptoms from military base isolation and send them to civilian hospitals for treatment sounds downright mad.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2020, 03:39 PM

269 posts, read 264,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Inflated idea? That's funny.

"Despite recently closing hundreds of bases in Iraq and Afghanistan, the United States still maintains nearly 800 military bases in more than 70 countries and territories abroad"
https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...e-world-119321

What exactly is a quarantine? It is the isolation of people who *potentially* have a contagious disease from being around other people in order to prevent spread of the disease. Correct? You have any issue with that? So to that effect, it would seem prudent to not have those isolated people near major population centers. And the plan to remove those who display symptoms from military base isolation and send them to civilian hospitals for treatment sounds downright mad.
The vast majority of these “bases” are nothing more than small camps and outposts. The majority make Camp Bullis seem like a major city. Prior to my retirement I was the head of the Army’s Real Property Inventory Branch in the Pentagon and maintained the worldwide inventory computer system.

Old 02-05-2020, 03:43 PM

Quote:
The vast majority of these “bases” are nothing more than small camps and outposts. The majority make Camp Bullis seem like a major city. Prior to my retirement I was the head of the Army’s Real Property Inventory Branch in the Pentagon and maintained the worldwide inventory computer system.

Sounds like just the kind of place to send potentially contagious people.

Old 02-06-2020, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Sounds like just the kind of place to send potentially contagious people.
Well you didn’t get your wish. There’s a plane apparently in the air and scheduled to land this morning with evacuees from China. I haven’t heard the exact number on board but supposedly Lackland AFB can handle 250 evacuees in private accommodations and up to 1,000 in less private group accommodations.

Old 02-06-2020, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Well you didn’t get your wish. There’s a plane apparently in the air and scheduled to land this morning with evacuees from China. I haven’t heard the exact number on board but supposedly Lackland AFB can handle 250 evacuees in private accommodations and up to 1,000 in less private group accommodations.

I'm shocked. I thought the Pentagon had me on speed dial and ran all major decisions by me.

Old 02-06-2020, 11:56 AM

262 posts, read 387,098 times
It is news on CNN from Feb 1. CNN was quoting a Pentagon official's statement. Here is the link, and please scroll down to the headline "Defense Department Will Provide Housing..." https://cnn.it/37Ozam9

Old 02-06-2020, 12:37 PM

4,262 posts, read 1,663,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar View Post
Keep them on the coast and not mid America.
Why?

Old 02-06-2020, 12:58 PM

Apparently the plane supposedly coming to Lackland AFB this morning stopped and unloaded its passengers at Travis AFB. Latest is the plane scheduled for here hasn’t left China yet and won’t arrive until Friday or Saturday.

Old 02-06-2020, 01:23 PM

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/06/asia/...ntl/index.html The young Chinese doctor who first raised the alarm and was basically attacked by the government for it has died of the disease. Rest In Peace doctor.

Old 02-06-2020, 04:24 PM

1,506 posts, read 1,995,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Why?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/06/asia/...ntl/index.html The young Chinese doctor who first raised the alarm and was basically attacked by the government for it has died of the disease. Rest In Peace doctor.

THAT'S WHY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio