Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2020, 11:05 PM

19 posts, read 10,474 times

Advertisements

Deferring a problem is not solving a problem. While I understand the theory about not overwhelming the medical system, I also understand that the current action plan (or lack of action plan) is not sustainable. We will be suffering for this shutdown for the next 3 years. Also wearing anything other than a rated face mask is just plain stupid and will cause more infections. Your better off wearing nothing at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2020, 08:05 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times
Many years ago, AIDS was an automatic death sentence - period. By working to control the spread, they bought time to research and find treatment. That disease isn't nearly as deadly as it once was (mortality down by about half), and its' new infection growth has slowed. So, delay is a better course of action than saying "Good luck, folks - hope you make it!"

Old 04-27-2020, 08:29 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Many years ago, AIDS was an automatic death sentence - period. By working to control the spread, they bought time to research and find treatment. That disease isn't nearly as deadly as it once was (mortality down by about half), and its' new infection growth has slowed. So, delay is a better course of action than saying "Good luck, folks - hope you make it!"

We didn't shut down the world to stop it's spread or buy time for development. That effort was not an inconvenience much less a crushing blow on mainstream society.

Old 04-27-2020, 10:47 AM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
We didn't shut down the world to stop it's spread or buy time for development. That effort was not an inconvenience much less a crushing blow on mainstream society.
It's also transmitted in a very different way.

Old 04-27-2020, 01:17 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,408,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
It's also transmitted in a very different way.
The panic in the airline community was quite similar.

Old 04-27-2020, 01:49 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,236,028 times
Quote:
If being locked down for over a month has not flattened the curve then that shows locking down is an ineffective way to flatten the curve thus no sense in continuing to destroy the economy doing something ineffective.
If you cant flatten the curve with every one staying home, what do you think is going to happen when every one starts going back out?

Old 04-27-2020, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
If you cant flatten the curve with every one staying home, what do you think is going to happen when every one starts going back out?
First, we know we have hospital rooms for the 5% that require it.

Second, we have the nursing homes shut down so that they do not burden the ICUs

Third, we have PPEs, masks and ventilators for those that might require them.

Fourth, we have a "shelter in place" for the most susceptible- morbidly obese, uncontrolled hypertension, elderly and diabetic.

Fifth, we can identify the symptomatic sufferers and quarantine them.

Sixth, with the Spring and Summer heat along with social distancing, hopefully herd immunity can be garnered with minimum danger to the rest of the community until a vaccine is developed.

Old 04-27-2020, 02:44 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,428,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by excape View Post
Also wearing anything other than a rated face mask is just plain stupid and will cause more infections. Your better off wearing nothing at all.
Really? Please state your evidence for that "cause more infections" claim.

Doctors and scientists have stated that the virus can be expelled as far as 9 feet. So if you are wearing a bandana and sneeze or cough, it doesn't go any further than your bandana. Then, if you are infected and don't know it (or don't care), that bandana will at least cut back on the distance the virus may travel to infect another person.

Will it protect the uninfected from the virus? Not sure, but it's certainly better than "nothing at all." If you sneeze on me, I have several layers of cloth between me and the virus (and your snot or spit). Oh, yes, that's definitely better than your boogies landing on my face, by a long shot.

I'll keep paying attention to actual scientists and keep wearing my bandana. I've saved the few rated face masks we have for my 95-year-old mother.

Old 04-27-2020, 05:14 PM

Governor Abbott issues guidelines for reopening Texas.

https://gov.texas.gov/news/post/gove...56MO3Fucdehxt4

Old 04-27-2020, 06:15 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times
Quote:
Actually, in some respects we did - and it would have been worse had we not had an early idea as to transmission methods. But if you were single during that time, your lifestyle definitely took a hit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio