Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2020, 11:21 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,834,325 times

Advertisements

Let me ask you something....if the masks are so vital, why were they just implemented? Why not when all this first started? I can tell you why - because it's all about making it look like "We're doing something." NOW they want to make them mandatory....that's kinda like putting someone on birth control after they're pregnant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2020, 07:25 AM

894 posts, read 1,546,967 times
Study recently done by Arizona State U answers the question of whether wearing a mask will help. https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...117?via%3Dihub

Old 05-05-2020, 07:27 AM

2,438 posts, read 7,012,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txbullsfan View Post

Also, you also did not answer the question on if you (or any of the the rest of the small groups of people opposed to temporarily wearing masks) would feel guilty if it was "traced" back to the non mask wearer as the cause of someone's reasonably avoidable suffering and/or death by the non mask wearer refusing to take reasonable temporary precautions to have prevented such. Its a simple yes or no answer. In fact, you did not answer any of the questions I asked.

Basically put, some people do not like the fact that people tell them what to do. Am I against wearing a mask? No, I put mine on. Do I complain about other people not wearing a mask? Nope, I simply get out of their way and let them handle their own demise when it happens. Its not "IF", it will eventually happen.

I do not have the strength or energy to deal with other people who do not respect other people. But I will say this.. I don't come on here to put down people on a board because they do not wear a mask. Simply put. You are in control of yourself, no one else. If you do not like the fact that someone is around you without the mask. Move around them at a safe distance and keep going. Sooner or later you will read about them in the newspaper (obituary). Stressing yourself out about it wont clear matters up. Posting about it on here will not help either.

That's why we have the freedom to do what we want. Handle your situation accordingly.

Old 05-05-2020, 12:18 PM

1,514 posts, read 890,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man in SATX View Post
Basically put, some people do not like the fact that people tell them what to do. Am I against wearing a mask? No, I put mine on. Do I complain about other people not wearing a mask? Nope, I simply get out of their way and let them handle their own demise when it happens. Its not "IF", it will eventually happen.

I do not have the strength or energy to deal with other people who do not respect other people. But I will say this.. I don't come on here to put down people on a board because they do not wear a mask. Simply put. You are in control of yourself, no one else. If you do not like the fact that someone is around you without the mask. Move around them at a safe distance and keep going. Sooner or later you will read about them in the newspaper (obituary). Stressing yourself out about it wont clear matters up. Posting about it on here will not help either.

That's why we have the freedom to do what we want. Handle your situation accordingly.
I get that some people do not like people telling them what to do. I have a rebellious spirit as well. I can relate to that. As a child my parents can also attest to that.

What I do not get is the acceptance of some when that rebellious spirit results in actions that are detrimental to others and even the majority of society. Like assaulting a park ranger into a lake because they disagree with them, shooting a security guard because they tell you to put on a mask, threatening leaders lives and safety because they are putting reasonable temporary measures in place to protect the greater public and are waiting out the all clear from the medical community and scientists, threatening employees with verbal abuse and violence because they state a face mask is required, holding protests with loaded weapons with police present while they yell in their face without a mask on, being in a position of leadership and advocating for such actions and groups, or holding up traffic so that ambulances and essential personnel can not effectively get to destinations to save lives and do their jobs. Now those are extreme examples and most will not resort to them. However, that is when personal opinion becomes more then just personal opinion. Its when that opinion results in actions that are detrimental to others external to that person. Refusing to wear a mask, social distance etc. with SARS / Covid - 19 when these things have shown to (at least to some degree) reduce community spread puts me and my family (and the majority) at increased risk, even if we are following proper guidelines and sanitary procedures. I (and according to most polls - most people) are in agreement with current restrictions in place and are opposed to actions that put society in increased risk with such a potentially detrimental situation. That is when this becomes more then just a difference of opinion.

Its ok to be rebellious. Its ok to despise (or at least distrust) the government. It's ok to have an opposing opinion. It's ok to think that some scientifically accurate things are a hoax or fake news. Its ok to not like people telling me what to do. Its ok to peacefully protest all of this. It's ok to speak out about my right to my freedom versus the government telling me what to do on a forum like this. Its not ok to put me, my family and the greater public at risk because of rebellious actions. That is when it becomes not ok.

I don't get on here to speak out against if someone has Bermuda grass over st Augistine. If my neighbor paints his house pink and I don't like pink. If one likes pizza over steak. If one drives a Chevy over Ford. What I am passionate about is reasonably protecting my family and myself and also about advocating for the greater good of society. Anyone who does reckless behavior, like drunk driving, recklessly swinging a loaded gun around (or pointing it at people) even if it does not go off in a public place etc. etc. I will speak up to and out against. Not following reasonable temporary measures to reasonably mitigate risk to society in this time of human history with what is going on, whether it is because people do not like others telling them what to do (insert reason here), is as reckless to me as those things in my eyes. I will speak up against that.

Also, no one on here, from reading through this thread (including myself) is putting someone down because they have a difference of opinion. No one on here is beneath anyone else. No one on here is "unwashed". Everyone on here is entitled to their opinion and is a human being deserving of respect. What we have in this thread, throughout this forum etc is people voicing their opposition to what they believe is reckless behavior by a small group of people performing actions that are detrimental to society. Yes, I believe not wearing a mask, not social distancing, and doing things in opposition to what the science, the medical experts and what testing is showing is reckless behavior. I will handle my situation accordingly so that my family is protected and that I do my part in not negatively affecting society but when others are swinging the loaded gun around (literally or metaphorically with other unsafe actions) in my families direction, it is no longer about just minding my business, keeping to myself and handling just my situation. It becomes more then that at this point. One is free to go ahead and drive a Ford or paint their house pink, like pineapple on their pizza and protest to their hearts content but do not... point that loaded weapon in the direction of me or my family.

There are those who agree with my stance and others who do not. Fair enough. Just do not put me and my family at risk and I will continue to speak out against these behaviors as long as this continues. I've said my piece. I'll get off my soapbox now and let others have the floor. I hope everyone on here stays safe regardless if we disagree or not. We are most definitely living in unsettled times and each of our human lives is so very important.

Old 05-05-2020, 12:52 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,012,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txbullsfan View Post

There are those who agree with my stance and others who do not. Fair enough. Just do not put me and my family at risk and I will continue to speak out against these behaviors as long as this continues. I've said my piece. I'll get off my soapbox now and let others have the floor. I hope everyone on here stays safe regardless if we disagree or not. We are most definitely living in unsettled times and each of our human lives is so very important.

Most importantly to this.. do not let someone put you or your family at risk. Because simply put.. there are people out there who do not give a rats behind what happens to you and your family. That's why I say you can not control others.. but you can (at 100% of the time) control what you do.

I will make sure no one puts me or my family at risk and have been practicing this since March 13th of this year. If I see those that don't give a rats behind. I maneuver away from/around them.

Old 05-05-2020, 03:03 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man in SATX View Post

Sooner or later you will read about them in the newspaper (obituary).

Come back to planet Earth Sparky.

Old 06-17-2020, 12:58 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times
If Wolff has his way, face masks are once again mandatory in Bexar county at all businesses starting this coming Monday. Word is that he is lawyer'ed up and ready to fight the Texas gov should there be any hesitation. There will be $1,000 fine for those that don't follow the rule.

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/lo...s-15346482.php

Quote:
Bexar County Judge Nelson Wolff issued an order Wednesday mandating that businesses require customers and employees to wear masks when they’re on the premises after Gov. Greg Abbott once again refused to allow local authorities to make the requirement mandatory for all residents.
Quote:
“The action that I’m taking today may be pushing the legal bounds a little bit,” Wolff said. “But our attorneys believe we can defend this order in court.”

But a spokesman for Abbott’s office indicated Wolff’s workaround just might fly.

“Judge Wolff’s order is not inconsistent with the governor’s executive order,” Abbott spokesman John Wittman said.

Old 06-17-2020, 01:24 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Let me ask you something....if the masks are so vital, why were they just implemented? Why not when all this first started? ...
As you may well remember...

The CDC (failed USA organization) announced: "Do not wear a mask" (but the fine print read) "Save them for our First Responders and Medical personnel", To NOT cause a mad rush...
a) Because, of course... there were not adequate masks in USA,
b) Because, of course ...USA outsourced manf to CHEAP countries who already HAD been through SARS and been a headstart on Covid-19,
c) those countries were filling their own pipeline before exporting.
d) Once masks were being shipped to USA, US Government commandeered the shipments to states and instead distributed them to 'The Swamp" DC and NYC. (Home of big cheese who?)...

Very simple to look at the stats of those countries whose citizens jumped on the solution, rather than expecting Gov to respond.

Some Governments are 'Pied Pipers' of sorts.
Wednesday, February 12, 2020
https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2...ranscript.html

One important aspect of this is taking steps to make sure there are enough supplies and appropriate guidance to prevent the spread of the disease, especially among health care personnel caring for patients.

CDC does not currently recommend the use of face masks for the general public. This virus is not spreading in the community. If you are sick or a patient under investigation and not hospitalized, CDC recommends wearing a face mask when around other people and before entering a health care provider’s office, but when you are alone, in your home, you do not need to wear a mask.

16 Jun 2020
Texas 95,793 Total +4,413 (New cases in ONE day) Largely from Community spread.

Covid 19 KILLS those from infant to +
https://www.thedailybeast.com/infant...th-in-illinois
https://www.floridatoday.com/story/n...19/5196995002/

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 06-17-2020 at 01:35 PM..

Old 06-17-2020, 03:17 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
If Wolff has his way, face masks are once again mandatory in Bexar county at all businesses starting this coming Monday. Word is that he is lawyer'ed up and ready to fight the Texas gov should there be any hesitation. There will be $1,000 fine for those that don't follow the rule.

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/lo...s-15346482.php

Since when do judges get to enact laws?

Old 06-17-2020, 09:11 PM

6,504 posts, read 7,533,875 times
Surprised to see former Mayor Nelson Wolf on the national news tonight at minute 9:00 of the video below.
I was planning on coming back home this week to Texas for a few weeks but think I will lay low at least until 4th of July for now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xanfj8zzX-I
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio