Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2020, 06:06 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,391,470 times

Advertisements

What could possibly go wrong?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/pentagon-...201851368.html

Last edited by elnina; 03-14-2020 at 02:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2020, 06:12 PM

61,090 posts, read 85,880,338 times
Probably nothing:
The Department of Defense is only providing housing support, and US military personnel will not come in direct contact with any quarantined individuals, who will not have access to any areas on base other than the quarantine facilities. The Department of Health and Human Services will handle care, transportation, and security issues.

Old 02-02-2020, 07:38 AM

61,090 posts, read 85,880,338 times
Update:
https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2020...h-coronavirus/

Mayor Ron Nirenberg said last night:
“We were notified that the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and Department of Defense have decided to evacuate American citizens from China and quarantine them at U. S. military installations, including Lackland Air Force Base. We have been told that these individuals have no symptoms of the virus and pose no risk to our community. We should all be comforted by the extra precautions being taken by federal, state and local health officials," said Nirenberg. "We do not currently have any individuals diagnosed with the coronavirus here in San Antonio, and our Metro Health Department will continue to monitor the situation and exercise an abundance of caution.”

Old 02-02-2020, 08:31 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,165,451 times
I pray everyone on these bases stay safe. I pray for those coming back from China. And i pray it doesnt spread in our country.

Old 02-02-2020, 11:49 AM

262 posts, read 431,264 times
There is a problem, though. As CNN reported it yesterday, if any of the quarantined people become ill, the Department of Health and Human Services will turn them over to be treated at local civilian hospitals. THAT is when the cat gets out of the bag, as health care workers in China in full protective gear have, by some reports that I can not find, fallen ill themselves.

Old 02-02-2020, 12:14 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,561,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proffer View Post
There is a problem, though. As CNN reported it yesterday, if any of the quarantined people become ill, the Department of Health and Human Services will turn them over to be treated at local civilian hospitals. THAT is when the cat gets out of the bag, as health care workers in China in full protective gear have, by some reports that I can not find, fallen ill themselves.
Part of that could be due to the fact that there are no noticeable, trackable symptoms in the earliest days of infection and being contagious at the same time. My bet is the contagion protocols didn't go into effect early enough and sick health care workers caught it from the first round of infected patients.

Old 02-02-2020, 01:43 PM

1,514 posts, read 880,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
Part of that could be due to the fact that there are no noticeable, trackable symptoms in the earliest days of infection and being contagious at the same time.
Yes, a big concern of this version of Coronavirus is the slow burn time and in effect the relatively stealth transmission (transmitting before exhibiting symptoms). According to a source I read, China may be under reporting cases and this virus is ballooning total infected numbers.

Also, while this version of the Corona virus is much less fatal (fatality percentage wise among infected people) then the SARS Corona Virus, this version is still showing a much higher fatality percentage then the general Influenza virus (common flu).

All of these factors make this news a bit unnerving to say the least. No need to panic. Just unnerving that they are potentially bringing it here locally.

I may sound like a bit of a jerk saying this but I would rather potentially infected people be brought to other cities and states then here in San Antonio where me and my kid lives and those close to me live. It only takes one mistake for this to balloon out of control and with the stealth transmission properties of it, infection would happen to people before they would even know they are infected. Hopefully the government, and they local big hospitals they know what they are doing

Old 02-02-2020, 02:25 PM

The problem is the word, 'HOPEFULLY". Keep them on the coast and not mid America.

Old 02-02-2020, 02:33 PM

1,514 posts, read 880,681 times
Here is a local news article from a SA news source about bringing people who will temporarily need to be quarantined here:

Lackland approved as quarantine site:
https://news4sanantonio.com/news/loc...of-coronavirus

Old 02-02-2020, 07:35 PM

Somehow the two officials that say we have nothing to fear, our mayor and Lloyd Doggett, give me me no level of confidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio