Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2020, 10:21 AM

262 posts, read 433,537 times

Advertisements

I share some of the above concerns, and question the intelligence behind choosing a bustling metropolis as one of the quarantine sites, especially if civilian facilities would be needed to treat the infected. But then, who knows... Maybe they consider a deadly fallout in San Antonio to be less damaging to the country than risking East Coast communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2020, 09:16 AM

894 posts, read 1,547,261 times
I believe the fear is misplaced. First, the people potentially being quarantined have only been in the area of exposure and aren't confirmed to have the disease. Second, they are being quarantined and not just put down here to roam around the general population. Lastly, the flu this season has produced 8,633 cases (per the CDC) with 68 deaths. That is far more frightening and worthy of discussion, yet we have large groups of our population that don't take advantage of immunizations. Maybe we should be quarantining them. Flu is the real killer in our midst.

Old 02-04-2020, 10:25 AM

1,514 posts, read 890,913 times
I think comparing the flu (the influenza virus) to the Coronavirus is an inaccurate comparison. They are not in the same family of viruses and the Coronavirus has shown in its history (SARS, MERS etc) to be significantly more fatal percentage wise (those who die among those infected). Even this version of Corona virus has a significantly higher fatality percentage then Influenza.

However, the US and other countries outside of China do seem to have a good handle on this. No significant increases in the numbers infected. The government and large hospitals throughout the States must be adequately implementing policies, equipment and procedures that is positively affecting this. Right now and for the forseeable future (if this trend continues) Americans have nothing to worry about. Eventually, the China outbreak will eventually burn out, just like it did with SARS.

Old 02-05-2020, 04:55 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proffer View Post
I share some of the above concerns, and question the intelligence behind choosing a bustling metropolis as one of the quarantine sites, especially if civilian facilities would be needed to treat the infected.
The decision probably has more to do with San Antonio having some of the country's best military medical facilities. Remember a few years ago, after the last BRAC round, when San Antonio was the beneficiary of $2 Billion in defense construction spending? A lot of that went to SAMMC and probably position it near the top of the list in quality medical facilities.

The advantage to using military medical facilities for a quarantine is security. We should want a deadly virus to be contained in a secure facility. It's not likely the CDC will want to resort to less-secure civilian facilities while there's a chance of containing the infection.

Old 02-05-2020, 10:11 AM

262 posts, read 433,537 times
Bo, I was commenting based on the CNN article that stated the plan to use civilian hospitals.

Old 02-05-2020, 10:21 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Why not quarantine in one of the many bases we have outside the country? It's not like they can see their family and friends in person anyway. Someday there is going to be a catastrophic epidemic and my bet is it will be because everything we thought we knew about how to quarantine and contain it turn out to be ineffective against it.

Old 02-05-2020, 11:11 AM

282 posts, read 341,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Why not quarantine in one of the many bases we have outside the country? It's not like they can see their family and friends in person anyway. Someday there is going to be a catastrophic epidemic and my bet is it will be because everything we thought we knew about how to quarantine and contain it turn out to be ineffective against it.
The transportation considerations and required infrastructure requirements notwithstanding I bet the host country would not be too happy. It would create a diplomatic and political nightmare that would most probably end in us being thrown out of the country as soon as possible. Might add that the title of this thread is a bit misleading as the proposed quarantine is for people potentially exposed not for those who are actually suffering from the virus.

Last edited by Randyk47; 02-05-2020 at 11:22 AM..

Old 02-05-2020, 11:32 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyk47 View Post
The transportation considerations and required infrastructure requirements notwithstanding I bet the host country would not be too happy. It would create a diplomatic and political nightmare that would most probably end in us being thrown out of the country as soon as possible. Might add that the title of this thread is a bit misleading as the proposed quarantine is for people potentially exposed not for those who are actually suffering from the virus.

Transportation? That is going to be an airplane no matter where they go and the distance from China to just about anywhere else in the world would be less than to San Antonio. Infrastructure? That I don't know but I'm going to believe that it could be handled by some of the hundreds of bases until proven otherwise. Diplomatic and political nightmare? Send them to South Korea. They aren't going to kick the US out. Or better yet, Diego Garcia. No local population or government, completely inaccessible to civilians, the base is essentially already a quarantine.

Old 02-05-2020, 11:41 AM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Send them to South Korea. They aren't going to kick the US out. Or better yet, Diego Garcia. No local population or government, completely inaccessible to civilians, the base is essentially already a quarantine.
They are US citizens, no? They have every right to return home and access homeland hospitals and care.

I would like to see the link to CNN news.

Old 02-05-2020, 01:22 PM

282 posts, read 341,826 times
Quote:
Transportation? That is going to be an airplane no matter where they go and the distance from China to just about anywhere else in the world would be less than to San Antonio. Infrastructure? That I don't know but I'm going to believe that it could be handled by some of the hundreds of bases until proven otherwise. Diplomatic and political nightmare? Send them to South Korea. They aren't going to kick the US out. Or better yet, Diego Garcia. No local population or government, completely inaccessible to civilians, the base is essentially already a quarantine.
I think you have an inflated idea of the number, size, and capabilities of US military installations overseas but would allow South Korea and maybe Diego Garcia could handle a few hundred. Hopefully it won’t come to that and the situation gets under control quickly. The “worry meter” hasn’t really moved yet. When the Federal and local government take over say the Alamodome and the AT&T Center then we’d have a really serious problem. Meanwhile Elnina makes a good point and US citizens should be brought back to the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio