Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2020, 11:36 AM

1 posts, read 704 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on moving to San Antonio next year and I'm looking into taking an alternative certification program since my bachelor degree is unrelated to education. I'm thinking about teaching middle school math and would like any feedback on the likelihood of me actually being able to find a job. I know not all school districts in San Antonio are willing to hire ACP teacher interns unless truly in need, but are there a good number that are willing? Also any advice on which programs you would recommend or just working as a teacher in San Antonio? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2020, 06:35 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,952,470 times
I'd go through region 20 for alternative certification and take the 4 - 8 math and science certification.

Old 02-26-2020, 10:20 PM

7,105 posts, read 11,738,487 times
That, or Special Ed.....they're usually in need of those, as well.

Old 02-26-2020, 10:50 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,474,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
That, or Special Ed.....they're usually in need of those, as well.
Retired English secondary teacher here
I think my friend who is still teaching said that the state upgraded standards recently and required all teachers to get the ESL endorsement (without an upgrade in pay of course)

The deal with alternative certification is that it is a negative when a district is evaluated by the state
The number of teachers w/alternative certification vs a read education degree is counted as a penalty if it goes over a certain number—some ration of teachers to students per school and district is used

So makes principals reluctant to hire alternative certification teachers especially in their first year when they lack any real endorsement and are working for employment credit

Math is usually always a desired field though and if you have a degree with enough hours in it vs just the credation courses then makes you a better candidate

Old 02-26-2020, 10:52 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,474,655 times
PS you can look at the Region’s web site and maybe see all jobs listed for public charter schools (try not to get hired there because almost impossible to cross back to an ISD) and private schools
It least my districts in DFW area had employment pages several years ago when I knew someone looking for job

Old 02-29-2020, 04:30 PM

153 posts, read 518,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emrn10 View Post
I'm planning on moving to San Antonio next year and I'm looking into taking an alternative certification program since my bachelor degree is unrelated to education. I'm thinking about teaching middle school math and would like any feedback on the likelihood of me actually being able to find a job. I know not all school districts in San Antonio are willing to hire ACP teacher interns unless truly in need, but are there a good number that are willing? Also any advice on which programs you would recommend or just working as a teacher in San Antonio? Thanks.
It’s definitely possible for you to get hired, especially if you interview well and are open to teaching in any school district in the city. However, have you worked in a middle school setting before? If not, I would highly suggest that you do some substitute teaching or classroom observations before deciding to pursue this career. Even if you are relatively young, you may find that today’s middle school is not at all what you remember it to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: