Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 01:56 PM

25 posts, read 66,580 times

Advertisements

Annie,

Wow, those do seem pretty nice. I'll give them a call later on to ask more questions. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_annie View Post
There is a new apartment complex off 1604 and Bowen's Crossing. It's right on 1604 so you would have easy access to the loop. It's a safe neighborhood and is next door to an elementary school. Here is a link that contains a video about the apartment complex:
View The Villages at Bowens Crossing Apartments For Rent in San Antonio, Texas - ForRent.com

There is also a nice apartment complex in Helotes right across Hwy 16 from O'Connor High School. I lived there for about a year but it might be a little higher and a little further commute than you would like. But it is also a safe area to live in.

I am unfamiliar with the three complexes you listed so I can't offer an opinion on those. Sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 02:06 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,654,724 times
I have no clue about number one, number 2 is in a good location and stay away from number 3, its is an older complex,run down and some folks that used to live there are really glad not to live there now.

Old 04-23-2008, 02:06 PM

I'll have to check the Villas out in a few minutes. I didn't think the entire zip of 40 was bad. However, the crime stats scared me enough since I didn't know which was a good area.

What zip codes would you recommend that would put me reasonably close (but not too close) to NVCC and UTSA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
I live in 78240 and have never had problems. I live at the Villas at Medical center. Their pretty pricey but very nice and the people are very tame. Lived in 78249 also very nice but both of these zip codes are a ways away from where you need to be.

Old 04-23-2008, 02:07 PM

Excellent--that one is scratched off my list. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neddy View Post
I have no clue about number one, number 2 is in a good location and stay away from number 3, its is an older complex,run down and some folks that used to live there are really glad not to live there now.

Old 04-23-2008, 02:14 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,797,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie2Austin View Post
Scuba Steve,

I live in the Auburn/Enumclaw area right now. Nice to hear that deerfield housing are nice neighborhoods. My goal later on is to purchase a house. However, I want to roam around the area first to get a feel for the place before I spend all that money on a house.

BTW, have you ever gone onto DiveBuddy.com - Global Social Nework for Scuba Divers? There's apparently a lot of diving activity in the SA area--at least from the individuals that I heard from.
Funny that you mention Auburn - I work there. Smart move to figure the area out first. I'd do the same thing except I've been to San Antonio in the past (my family lives in TX) so I sort of had a head start.

I think some coworkers of mine are on Dive Buddy a lot - they like to go out in the Sound when the weather is better. My name came from an old school movie though (Big Daddy).

If I'm reading you right and Northwest Vista Community College is where you'll be going to / from, the Deerfield area might be a pretty long drive. But then again if you wind up at UTSA later the commute gets a lot shorter, and if housing is a bigger concern than driving distance it may be worthwhile. There seems to be a lot to do around the Deerfield area - go down to I-10 / Huebner, towards Blanco Road, or find something to do around 281/1604. That's the impression I got anyway. Housing in San Antonio seems to be a lot more affordable than the Seattle area but I've been comparing houses to houses.

Old 04-23-2008, 02:47 PM

657 posts, read 1,937,558 times
Quote:
Good afternoon folks,

I’ve reviewed a lot of the posts within this forum and I’ve learned quite a bit from all of your advise. However, I want more. I cross-compared the apartments I previously selected with the SAPD crime stats for 2007 and found that most of the apartments I had previously selected were in the highest crime rated zip codes (98229 &78240 were the worst).

I then went on to two different apartment complexes in what seemed to be a less crime-rampant area (249 & 251) but these complexes had severe roach problems.

I’ve now settled on three potential apartments (since I can’t seem to find a house to rent in a good area for a decent price) and was hoping one of y’all could give me your opinion on my selections. Seeing as how I’m still in Washington State, it’s very hard to gauge the complex via online. I have a few friends of friends who are down there…but y’all have always been honest and I value your opinion more.

1. Deer Creek (Timber View Dr-78251)
2. The Marquis at Deerfield (Huebner Road-78248) (Can’t seem to find an accurate listing for pricing. Four websites have four different prices)
3. Winding Creek Apartments (NW Military Hwy-78231) (looks sort of old and run-down looking)

I want someplace relatively safe, close to NVCC for commuting but far enough away that I don’t have to hear/tolerate the frat party mentality. I realize crime is everywhere but after 3-years in Iraq, I don’t want to carry around my 9mm everywhere I go. I’ve gone through apartment finding agencies and apparently I’m pickier than they are since they sent me listings of places I wouldn’t want my worse enemy to live in.

Although I’m pretty certain I want to move to SA since I really enjoyed the people, atmosphere, etc. of the area, the crime rates and lack of affordable housing is beginning to worry me. Any suggestions or recommendations on my previous listings (or if you know of a good 1 bedroom for $5-650), please let me know. [SIZE=4] [/SIZE]
I used to live in Winding Creek, about 7-8 years ago, they weren't bad, but not the newest around either. Definately not an area you need need a 9mm.... Why not just sign a 6 month lease initially, then if it goes wrong you have options and can look while living here....

Old 04-23-2008, 06:49 PM

337 posts, read 1,432,151 times
I live in 78251....have not had one problem. Love it here and don't have too much trouble getting anywhere. I think the Deer Creek Apts. are in a decent location. I live pretty close to them. My family and I moved here 4 years ago from Olympia, WA. You will be welcome in San Antonio.....there's no nicer people on the planet!

Old 04-23-2008, 09:30 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,838,481 times
Several nice apt complexes, new ones right off Culebra in 78251, Micron called the Meadows of Pipe creek, new apt, nice and gated, and a complex across the street, area is quiet

Old 05-16-2008, 12:13 AM

I just wanted to thank everybody who helped me along the way. I finally selected an apartment, registered for school, and found a moving company. I'm so excited because in 2-weeks, I finally get to see my new neighborhood for the first time!!! :~D

Old 05-16-2008, 12:38 AM

2,438 posts, read 7,014,271 times
Quote:
1. Deer Creek (Timber View Dr-78251)
2. The Marquis at Deerfield (Huebner Road-78248) (Can’t seem to find an accurate listing for pricing. Four websites have four different prices)
3. Winding Creek Apartments (NW Military Hwy-78231) (looks sort of old and run-down looking)
I [SIZE=4] [/SIZE]
Out of these three.. Deer Creek.. is in an okay area..but is ran down as it is over 10 years old.. the Winding Creek apartments are even older then Deer Creek. Out of the three you ahve there I would recommend Marquis at DeerField.. as I am not very good with acronyms as to where you want to be close to.. it is right off of Huebner near 1604 and 281.. they are moderatly new apartments and are very nice..

Here is info on The Marquis at Deerfield

View The Marquis At Deerfield Apartments For Rent in San Antonio, Texas - ForRent.com

Pricing will change as they constantly have different specials going on.. if you want to get a ballpark figure.. this website has it but you could always call them and see what special they have going on for the month. Good luck on your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio