Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 12:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,579 times

Advertisements

The same reason Austin is virtually vote In the top 5 of every "best of" list known to man. GOOGLE IT. That being said..... I am moving to San Antonio next week and hope to make it a little "cooler".

But in all seriousness. Austin has more young people and is very "UNIQUE". It has a centralized downtown. It is a beautiful city with lake running through the middle. TONS of young professionals great vibrant nightlife. Super liberal and progressive. Its a "green city". Its a "health conscious" city. Great schools and has the "it" factor that is hard to label. I'm sure I'm leaving something off.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:03 PM

2,027 posts, read 7,023,204 times
"Cool" isn't something absolute. It is an opinion. You can't literally say anything is "cooler" than any other thing. To do so would not be factual. That said, younger less-family oriented people tend to favor Austin. It is emerging as a very artistic city. UT is a big draw for the young crowd. Being the state capital is a big draw as well. The city has a lot more dense development going on right now, which really targets that specific crowd. San Antonio on the other hand tends to be a very diverse city. There really is no way to explain SA. Everything from a dense CBD to urban sprawl, tourism to military, healthcare to industrial, etc.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:09 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,093,737 times
Maybe it has to do with the age of the mayors?

San Antonio's mayor was born in 1934.

Austin's mayor was born in 1961.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:45 PM

47 posts, read 243,138 times
Keep Austin Weird.

Keep SA Lame.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:58 PM

53 posts, read 164,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manthechange View Post
this is correct...just look at the differences in posts from the SA board to Austin board. For example, the post I made earlier on biking to work turned into a post on driving cars vs scooters.

San Antonio - Family, Conservative, Stuck in it's ways.

Austin - Single, Liberal, Forward-thinking.

Since when did "conservative" become a synonym with bad and "liberal" become a synonym with good? That is one of the most uneducated comments I've ever seen. No wonder the dems can't even decide on a candidate. How can you unite the country when you can't even unite your own party?

Old 04-24-2008, 03:10 PM

200 posts, read 121,699 times
Austin is a younger, more educated city.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:32 PM

164 posts, read 555,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonapr78 View Post
Since when did "conservative" become a synonym with bad and "liberal" become a synonym with good?
Since the begininng of time.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:01 PM

83 posts, read 299,772 times
i hear a lot of people saying austin is more open minded and all this stuff. well if yall are so open minded then why are so many not open to the way san antonio is and the feel of our city?? sounds like yall are pretty closed minded to me, and stuck in your ways. at least from what im getting on the forum. i been to austin many times. never stay long. dont like it much. just do bizz there sometimes and have a few friends there. but i wouldnt talk down on the city. i just like my home better. personal preference. and who says austin is cool. maybe they just think they are because austinites (or whatever) keep telling each other that. and im big on music. work in that field. in my opinion, austins music scene is way over rated. 6th street to. at least now. it used to be better. maybe there is things in sa over rated to. im not saying sa is better than austin. im just saying i dont think we are that far off from eachother. both places got strong and weak points. cant everyone just accept that?

Old 04-24-2008, 04:48 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,334,139 times
When I moved to S.A. 5 years ago, I was told that Austin would be a better fit for me. Austin apparently has the artsy, earthy, down to earth, weird type people like massage therapists, accupuncturists, reiki masters, and a lot of holistic healing people like myself that are into herbs and vitamins, etc.
Austin has a diverse group of people from everywhere. San Antonio is made up of locals mostly.
I've never lived in Austin and don't plan to and I do enjoy S.A. regardless of the negative things I sometimes hear about it. There are things I'll miss when I leave here.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:10 PM

53 posts, read 164,482 times
Default Just Locals? I don't think so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
When I moved to S.A. 5 years ago, I was told that Austin would be a better fit for me. Austin apparently has the artsy, earthy, down to earth, weird type people like massage therapists, accupuncturists, reiki masters, and a lot of holistic healing people like myself that are into herbs and vitamins, etc.
Austin has a diverse group of people from everywhere. San Antonio is made up of locals mostly.
I've never lived in Austin and don't plan to and I do enjoy S.A. regardless of the negative things I sometimes hear about it. There are things I'll miss when I leave here.
I appreciate the comment, however, you are incorrect about San Antonio being mostly Locals. The top 10 cities with the largest growth include San Antonio and Austin. 4 Texas Cities Among Top 10 in Growth: Financial News - Yahoo! Finance (broken link)

San Antonio is VERY diverse. It is true that Austin has a more artsy feel to it in the sense that it's more driven that way, however, San Antonio has exploded since I first moved here in 1992. I then left in 1997 and returned in 2007 and I can tell you that the city is VERY different since I first moved here about 16 years ago. All this nonsense about which city is cooler is absurd.

Austin has UT, 6th street, it's art district and music scene (mostly alternative rock, etc.)

San Antonio has the SPURS, Riverwalk, country music scene, booming business growth, etc. Look at all the business from Cali that came here for crying out loud? Just look at the drivers now...you now it's a Cali invasion And yes, I lived in LA so I know what's it's like there..lived on the East Coast too in Boston for a few years.

Both cities have their draw but to say one is cooler than another is simply someone's opinion but San Antonio is definitely not made up primarily of locals. The word has spread about SA and its growing at an amazing pace.

Austin will grow too but much like Vegas being constrained by the lack of water, Austin is constrained by the lack of proper city infrastructure. The only major road is 35 and traffic there is absolutely horrific! San Antonio has it's traffic problems too but is much further along in its' development.

Can't Austonians and San Antonioans just get along?

PEACE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio