Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 03:09 PM

2,027 posts, read 7,024,798 times

Advertisements

People aren't going to stop drinking and driving if things stay the same. We seem to take a "If it's broke don't fix it" stance on this situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 04:49 PM

1,222 posts, read 4,605,007 times
The cops need to do something about it.

Old 04-26-2008, 05:05 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millie61 View Post
The cops need to do something about it.
As the thread below discusses, SAPD would like to use more aggressive measures against drunk driving, but they need the legislature's help.

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...ion-drink.html

Old 04-26-2008, 05:22 PM

323 posts, read 829,416 times
Unfortunatly, this is a problem everywhere. I do see it as quite bad here though. I see a lot of the injured people from accidents, and many of them are from alcohol related accidents. I wonder what can be done to change it.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:58 PM

3,060 posts, read 7,423,026 times
Personal responsibility and self-value. I am responsible enough not to D&D, and I value myself to not be one of those that does. I don't want to be the reason someone loses a loved one, nor do I want my loved ones to lose me because I was an idiot.

Old 04-26-2008, 09:11 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,554,543 times
SA is the worst I've experienced for drink-driving, however in other cities I've lived I didn't drive as much anyway (and rarely on highways) so didn't have as much opportunity to see drunk drivers (or what looked to be drunk drivers). i don't know if it's the worst, but it's pretty darned bad.

Old 04-27-2008, 05:58 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,387,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin9150 View Post
Unfortunatly, this is a problem everywhere. I do see it as quite bad here though. I see a lot of the injured people from accidents, and many of them are from alcohol related accidents. I wonder what can be done to change it.
I think it's an education thing. Most people of average intelligence can see that drinking and driving can kill themselves or other people. I haven't exactly been bowled over by the intelligence level of many people in this city and that's probably where the problem is. They just aren't intelligent enough to realize what they are doing is stupid and very dangerous.

Old 04-27-2008, 06:07 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,100,002 times
I don't think it takes a highly intelligent person to realize drinking and driving is dangerous.

Old 04-27-2008, 06:31 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,451,919 times
My concern is there seems to be no accountability for Fiesta attendance and drinking drunk as there is for other venues that sell alcohol.

Park and Ride??? You get in your car at the end of the line and drive home....also, how come there has never been a "wristband" available where you pay for 2-3 beers in advance, and then you can only drink as they pull one from your wrist??? That would ensure that there were limits imposed. I think if the drinkning was under control at the Fiesta NIOSA, lots more of us would be willing to attend.

Doubt seriously some form of monitoring and restrictions will ever be imposed....it is a HUGE money maker and in this case, I think that is the FIRST priority for those running NIOSA.

When you can not go downtown for the festivities without getting beer sloshed all over you and your feet, I have no need to go downtown. As much as I love Fiesta activities, NIOSA is out of control IMHO.

Old 04-27-2008, 04:43 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,026,845 times
"Get Out of Jail Free" Card for Drunk Drivers | WOAI.COM: San Antonio News

I know a lot of people don't like the "sensationalist" type of coverage that WOAI is famous for, but on Monday night they are doing a story about drunk drivers getting caught and let go while they're still drunk.

Maybe something will change if the PD is embarrassed by this. Maybe when one of them is affected by drunk driving (other than being the drunk driver) things will change.

I don't belong to MADD, but I am mad. And disgusted with people who think it's their right to put the rest of us in danger. They make excuses about the legal limit being too low. GMAB. Even the taxi excuse is weak, IMO. Someone can go out and pay $7-8 for a mixed drink (several times over) and then complain about a $15 cab ride???? Sorry, I think that's pretty absurd when we are talking about preventing innocent lives being lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio