U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2021, 04:40 PM

45,309 posts, read 64,773,863 times

Advertisements

I just ordered Flume 2 despite the fact that Flo by Moen is a better product and has the capability to shut off the water. Too big of a price difference...
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Minnesota,
Economics, Investing, Personal Finance, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2021, 06:05 PM

6,772 posts, read 10,033,892 times
This is a newer product - but one with some pretty significant advantages over some of the others discussed, since it has a cell phone interface rather than relying on WiFi connectivity. The app it comes with allows you to interface a valve in the water line so you can turn the water off remotely - plus you can install remote leak detectors that will feed back to the main control box (located in the meter box) that will also alert you to any leak at their location.

https://konalabs.com/collections/leak-detection

Old 02-22-2021, 09:00 PM

688 posts, read 395,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhsa View Post
I took SAWS up on their Flume II offer last November after reading the threads here. No problems, no complaints. The full rebate eventually showed up as promised.
After 3,000 gallons I compared the sensor report to the actual physical meter reading. I forget the exact number but the accuracy was much better than 0.5%; when the decimal places were rounded off the two were practically identical.
There weren't any existing leaks here to find, except every couple months one of the toilet tanks keeps running (which can quickly waste hundreds of gallons). It's a reliable reminder to turn the sprinkler off. It even helps with personal health monitoring, as it accurately tracks how often this older person "takes a leak" based on the specific 1.3 gallon flush spike.
I don't use the dishwasher so never had to deal with that repeating Notification.

It will always closely match the city meter reading. It actually runs off it. It is not a separate flow meter at all. The city would not allow a separate 'check' meter in their box.

Old 02-23-2021, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
This is a newer product - but one with some pretty significant advantages over some of the others discussed, since it has a cell phone interface rather than relying on WiFi connectivity. The app it comes with allows you to interface a valve in the water line so you can turn the water off remotely - plus you can install remote leak detectors that will feed back to the main control box (located in the meter box) that will also alert you to any leak at their location.

https://konalabs.com/collections/leak-detection
Another $500 gadget that has no rebate from SAWS and possibly not approved by the city. Not sure it's worth it. When a simpler device will tell me about possible leak that's all I want to know to take action.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Minnesota,
Economics, Investing, Personal Finance, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 02-23-2021, 01:40 PM

1,475 posts, read 590,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Another $500 gadget that has no rebate from SAWS and possibly not approved by the city. Not sure it's worth it. When a simpler device will tell me about possible leak that's all I want to know to take action.
Flo by Moen is an approved device eligible SAWS rebate but it is more expensive then the Flume.
https://www.gardenstylesanantonio.co...sensor-rebate/

Also, like the other referenced device, with the Flo by Moen you can install remote leak detectors that will feed back to the main valve unit control box that will also alert you to any leak at their location. It does not have a cell connection though.
https://www.moen.com/products/Flo_by...system/920-004

Regardless, I hope the Flume serves you well. I love my Flume and my Flo by Moen

Old 02-23-2021, 03:34 PM

Actually Amazon has a wide variety of those detectors for sale. Most have great reviews.
I got the Flume2 because with rebate it cost me only $22 and DIY set-up.
The more sophisticated gadgets need additional electrical set-up and plumber work. With the extra cost it's a $1000+ job.

Old 02-23-2021, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Actually Amazon has a wide variety of those detectors for sale. Most have great reviews.
I got the Flume2 because with rebate it cost me only $22 and DIY set-up.
The more sophisticated gadgets need additional electrical set-up and plumber work. With the extra cost it's a $1000+ job.
The one I posted is as an option. Installation by a plumber isn't required, unless you opt for installing the shut-off valve - but that's within the realm of many DIY homeowners. The ability to quantify usage in real time, and monitor for leaks is what makes it more interesting to me.

Sometimes, cheap has a cost all its' own.

Old Today, 07:19 AM

If there is no shut off just monitoring, cheaper gadgets can do it as well...

Old Today, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Well, we DO have folks here that aren't under the SAWS thumb....lol It's a much more expensive device to be sure - for me, not worth the $$$, but I had a customer ask about them (I don't deal w/them, but I get a lot of requests to "overlook" things for my customers, which I'm happy to do, because it also educates me) because he had a line rupture while they were out of town (not during the freeze), and it really messed up his pump house, so he was looking for something. I copied him the info on the one's posted here, as well. Per my last conversation w/him, he was leaning towards the one I mentioned, especially since it has its' own comm system.

Interesting times we live in, for sure - all kinds of things we can spend our $$$ on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio