Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2020, 11:30 AM

3,163 posts, read 1,724,350 times

Advertisements

I have been reading about this and other officials who have been positing these conspiracy theories and insults. I must say that I'm glad that the higher-up elected officials are speaking up for her to step down. I'm not in favor of it unless they also ask Pres Trump to resign, which they obviously have not done.

https://www.expressnews.com/news/pol...r-15317490.php

I've wondered how County residents elect a Chairman to the post? How many actually research the person before they cast that vote? I do know that Brehm has unsuccessfully run for many different elected positions over the year and has lots of Red election signage all over town (even in Dem areas). Could it be just name recognition or simply displaying the most outrageous behavior? The woman seems certifiably crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2020, 11:37 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times
Her comments were totally and completely out of line, and she SHOULD be run out of office.

Now, if we could just hold some of the democrats to the same standard.....

Old 06-07-2020, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Her comments were totally and completely out of line, and she SHOULD be run out of office.

Now, if we could just hold some of the democrats to the same standard.....
Were there any elected Dems that made similar statements in San Antonio? I read that there is an election in July for her post, which is odd because her signs are still posted around town. I saw one the other day at the Whataburger at US 87 turnoff from I-10.

Old 06-07-2020, 12:00 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,000,266 times
It is pretty odd that the murderer and the victim worked together at the same night club before all this transpired. I find it more likely the guy killed him (if it was murder) because he didn't like the guy rather than because it was a random act of racism. Especially since the cops he worked with weren't even white either.

Old 06-07-2020, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
It is pretty odd that the murderer and the victim worked together at the same night club before all this transpired. I find it more likely the guy killed him (if it was murder) because he didn't like the guy rather than because it was a random act of racism. Especially since the cops he worked with weren't even white either.
That's a good point. Except that media interviewed the owner who said that Chauvin had a bias towards black people. They also said that they both worked there, but never saw each other. The other cop onlookers were all rookies and may have felt intimidated to tell him anything, although one of them did. Elected officials need to be held to a higher standard than the average citizen. They need to think before making comments that might backfire on their reputation or ability to do their job well.

Old 06-07-2020, 05:27 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful for Life View Post
I read that there is an election in July for her post
A special election in mid-summer, for a race that only a few people care about, will produce a miniscule turnout. That is a recipe for getting a fringe candidate with extreme beliefs. The solution may not fix the problem!

Old 06-07-2020, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
A special election in mid-summer, for a race that only a few people care about, will produce a miniscule turnout. That is a recipe for getting a fringe candidate with extreme beliefs. The solution may not fix the problem!
You could only hope that her enemies (incl the one that she physically fought with) have more friends combined who will vote. I DO know that she puts those signs everywhere, maybe why she won? She was not successful many times. I was shocked in her bio that she served on some committee for then Councilman Ron Nirenberg. They seem like polar opposites.

Old 06-07-2020, 07:59 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful for Life View Post
They seem like polar opposites.
Politicians HAVE no "opposites" - until they read the polls.

Old 06-08-2020, 09:02 AM

1,514 posts, read 890,031 times
Brehm is not a "one off" anomaly as her beliefs and sentiments appear to run at various levels throughout the GOP Republican party. That is not to say all Republicans and all Republican leadership have her sentiments (many probably do not) but it has already been shown that others do. She and others were just foolish enough to publicly say / post to social media on it.

I give you exhibit A (talking about Brehm and other GOP leaders):

Five Texas Republican county leaders share racist Facebook posts | The Texas Tribune
https://www.texastribune.org/2020/06...OP-conspiracy/

Unfortunately, this undercurrent of racism which is systemically present and repeatedly swept under the rug is exactly why there is protesting nationally and also all over the world.

Old 06-08-2020, 11:40 AM

4,433 posts, read 5,343,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txbullsfan View Post
Brehm is not a "one off" anomaly as her beliefs and sentiments appear to run at various levels throughout the GOP Republican party. That is not to say all Republicans and all Republican leadership have her sentiments (many probably do not) but it has already been shown that others do. She and others were just foolish enough to publicly say / post to social media on it.

I give you exhibit A (talking about Brehm and other GOP leaders):

Five Texas Republican county leaders share racist Facebook posts | The Texas Tribune
https://www.texastribune.org/2020/06...OP-conspiracy/

Unfortunately, this undercurrent of racism which is systemically present and repeatedly swept under the rug is exactly why there is protesting nationally and also all over the world.
WRONG.

You are talking about an office that most GOP and Dem voters do not even know exist. This is why Texas did away with straight party voting and this action will help keep these idiots out of office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio