Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 02:26 PM

5 posts, read 10,287 times

Advertisements

That is sad but true! A(mexican)lady at school was just talking about that! She lives in New Braunfels...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
yeah, but they soon forgot about it. The German communities of TExas were by far the most prejudiced ppl against mexican americans as documented in the book "Are we good neighbors?", a collection of true stories of racial discrimination against latin americans in the 1940s. Even in the 1980s, I would hear ppl say that ppl in Boerne and New Braunfels (German) were very prejudiced.

But I do think that there are too many out-of-staters(espec Californians) invading/buying out our towns and cities. That is a FACT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2008, 11:18 PM

58 posts, read 132,922 times
I'll probably get lynched for this - I am a native Texan (native San Antonian, even, as is my entire family). I don't hate "transplants" at all, but the thing I do dislike is "Transplant" behavior that comes down here. An Example - All too often, people I know, work with, etc. that moved here in the last few years always comment on how "bad" Texans drive (This statement seems to come from transplants from California, at least in my experience.)

It just so happens that EVERY TIME I get on 1604 for my daily commute, I get passed up by the BMW/Lexus/Mercedes, etc. who are weaving in and out of traffic, going at least 20-30 miles over the speed limit. I don't think it's a coincidence that they nearly all have California, or a state from the NE area's license plates. THATS the type of prejudice I have toward transplants - if you move here, and hate the way locals drive, don't endanger the rest of us so you can drive "like you did back home." If this is your new home, adapt to it. (By the way, I rarely go to Cali, but when I do, I have to take cabs - last time I drove in San Diego, it probably took a few months off my life!)

This is one example, but it's my primary one. Again, I'm not trying to make enemies, etc. I would just want transplants to TX to not try and change it into the state the left, but adapt to it and keep it great is all

Old 01-11-2009, 05:11 PM

5 posts, read 10,287 times
Default LOL! U said it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by optichris View Post
I'll probably get lynched for this - I am a native Texan (native San Antonian, even, as is my entire family). I don't hate "transplants" at all, but the thing I do dislike is "Transplant" behavior that comes down here. An Example - All too often, people I know, work with, etc. that moved here in the last few years always comment on how "bad" Texans drive (This statement seems to come from transplants from California, at least in my experience.)

It just so happens that EVERY TIME I get on 1604 for my daily commute, I get passed up by the BMW/Lexus/Mercedes, etc. who are weaving in and out of traffic, going at least 20-30 miles over the speed limit. I don't think it's a coincidence that they nearly all have California, or a state from the NE area's license plates. THATS the type of prejudice I have toward transplants - if you move here, and hate the way locals drive, don't endanger the rest of us so you can drive "like you did back home." If this is your new home, adapt to it. (By the way, I rarely go to Cali, but when I do, I have to take cabs - last time I drove in San Diego, it probably took a few months off my life!)

This is one example, but it's my primary one. Again, I'm not trying to make enemies, etc. I would just want transplants to TX to not try and change it into the state the left, but adapt to it and keep it great is all
You are sooo right! One almost smashed me the other day at the 281/1604 intersection!

Old 01-23-2009, 02:28 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,199,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
yeah, but they soon forgot about it. The German communities of TExas were by far the most prejudiced ppl against mexican americans as documented in the book "Are we good neighbors?", a collection of true stories of racial discrimination against latin americans in the 1940s. Even in the 1980s, I would hear ppl say that ppl in Boerne and New Braunfels (German) were very prejudiced.
How do you explain the high rate of inter-marriage between German Americans and Mexican Americans in the San Antonio area?

Old 01-23-2009, 05:26 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,682,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by optichris View Post

I agree. Most of the transplants on these boards complain how badly we drive. It think it's because they are impatient since we abide by the speed limit!!

Old 01-23-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffyfan View Post
I agree. Most of the transplants on these boards complain how badly we drive. It think it's because they are impatient since we abide by the speed limit!!
People drive much better in TX than CA!

Old 02-15-2009, 10:33 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,410,244 times
Some people move to Texas and become Texans;some simply move but remain somewhere else. Guess which group raises the ire of Natives?

Something attracted these people to come here-weather, cost of living , freedom from oppressive local or state government, federal witness protection, or employment.

Remember why, when some blue haired woman is in the right lane going 45 on a road that was a wilderness when she was a young woman.

Nothing is more galling to a Native than a sentence that starts, "Where I came from we did it this way."

If that is the way one wants it done that way, go back where that is the way. [Refer to sentence #2.] Don't tell a Texan he needs to "get with it and change".

Accent-I have no real accent unless I am bird hunting and then it is quite thick.

Old 02-15-2009, 11:28 AM

112 posts, read 352,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McHopper View Post

The only negative thing about the move there would be the constant
feeling of being an outsider.
I'll tell you one example of what happened to us in Austin.
I went to Sears to pick up portraits of my young son and the girl there
heard me speak. She said, "Where are you from?" I said, "Austin", thinking
she wanted to verify my address. We had lived there a year by then.
But she said, "NO, where are you REALLY FROM?!?"
Obviously, you don't forget that kind of stuff.

thanks for the responses everyone

I am a native Texan who just happens to be living in England. I get these same questions all the time. Every day. yes, it gets old, but people honestly don't usually mean any harm by it. They are interested in finding out how I got here, do I like it, etc.

Accents - you don't think you have an accent. No one thinks they have an accent. This is a global thing. Different parts of the US have different accents, not to mention different parts of each state have an accent.

If I were you, I would just take the questions as being friendly and interested in you. The where you come from and why you would choose there. Some people do think "why would anyone want to live in ______". Honestly I don't think any malice is intended.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:10 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Some posts above this one were deleted because they were taking the thread in an off-topic direction that is far afield from the original post. Here's a reminder of the original topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McHopper View Post
I honestly don't mean to offend any Texans, but I have been wondering this for a long time. Do Texans still hate non-native Texans and treat them as
second class citizens?
Here's why I ask: I would entertain the idea of retiring in the Kerrville
or Boerne areas except for the memories I have of how we were treated
when we lived in Austin in the 80's.
My husband and I transferred by choice, not necessity to Austin after
having visited there a few months prior.
We were harrassed constantly by native Texans, who upon hearing us speak
a couple of undrawled words, demanded "Where are you from?" or "Where y'all from?" and "You sound like a YANKEE" This was not gentle curiosity, this
was confrontational.
There were bumper stickers on cars with slogans saying, 'NO YANKEES' or 'Go Home Yankees'.
The people we worked with were not bad after they got past our accents
(or the lack thereof), but sales people and others we met were brutal.
I met many many Texans who in their 20's and 30's had never been north of
Dallas! I couldn't understand the hatred toward us. They were truly resentful
of anyone who moved into 'their' country. We finally gave up and moved
to Oklahoma(very nice people there) and later back to upper midwest then
later still moving to the southwest states of AZ and CA.

So here's my question to y'all now: Do you natives still treat people without
a Texas accent today in a hostile manner and just wish we would all leave
your country?

AND

Does anyone with a midwest accent have a positive experience of assimilation in a Hill Country city or town that they can share to give me
some hope?

thank you in advance

Old 04-05-2009, 02:57 PM

I'm sorry if my posts were not fit for the thread. I guess I let my passions get away from me sometimes.lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio