Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2020, 11:42 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,644,222 times

Advertisements

I read somewhere that there is a possibility of the companies in the movie theater business going out of business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2020, 02:17 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,725,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
I read somewhere that there is a possibility of the companies in the movie theater business going out of business.
If so, that would be a tremendous loss to our nation. But, I don't believe that it is even possible.

Old 06-24-2020, 08:59 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,132,407 times
I was in the movie theatre business for over thirty years. When I started as an usher in the late 60s, we ran a little screen ad warning against "THE MONSTER IN YOUR LIVING ROOM", aka Cable TV. The theatre business was coming back from a long slump caused by television. They figured cable TV was going to knock them down again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIgZHZpiq1U

Then VCRs hit and the theatre business worried about that. It actually helped. It got more people interested in movies and there was a long enough gap between a movie's release to the theatre and it's availability on VHS. Theatres started improving, going to stadium seating, digital stereophonic sound and now digital projection. The independent theatre owners could not afford to make these upgrades and many went out of business. Then High Def TVs hit the market and people can rent a DVD, blu-ray or stream a movie with the technology and comparable screen opulence of a movie theatre. Throw in the film companies total lack of regard for the theatre owners, I think this will be the end of theatres as we know them. The film companies are already streaming some of their "lesser" films that would normally play in a theatre, and they are doing well. After this pandemic is over, and people have gotten used to seeing movies at home, I think it will be hard for theatres to recover. AMC, the largest theatre chain in the world is having big problems. I don't think the future is bright for the theatre business.

I think there will always be a theatre or two around because people do like to go out. But I think technology and the film companies are going to really hurt the movie theatre industry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apBy3ek5k5M

Old 06-26-2020, 06:15 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,775,152 times
It has been a long time since I went to the movies and that was before the virus hit. Mainly because the pricing outweighed the comfort of watching the movie at home when it was released on dvd or online later.

I do miss the blockbuster/hollywood video era very much. Redbox never really caught on for me.

Technology is a double edge sword that can kill off things that we will miss very much later on.

Old 06-26-2020, 03:18 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,011,692 times
to be honest, I don't think people will miss it as much as they say they will miss it. As everything, time rolls on and so does how we do things.

Old 06-26-2020, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man in SATX View Post
to be honest, I don't think people will miss it as much as they say they will miss it. As everything, time rolls on and so does how we do things.
I agree with you 100%. Back in the day, a movie was a hit if it was well written and well acted. Today's hit movies are just a bunch of noise and special effects. I remember when we ran "Love Story" back in 1970. We sold out EVERY showing in a 900+ seat theatre for three weeks! Today, I don't think that movie would have even been made and if it was, it would be a flop. During the times of the year that the studios weren't releasing a lot of films, we would bring back old hits for an encore showing. I can't count the number of times we brought back "Blazing Saddles". Every year we would bring back the MGM Fantastic Four, which consisted of "Gone With The Wind", 2001: A Space Odyssey", "Doctor Zhivago", and "Ryan's Daughter". We would run them for a week each and they always did well. Now with video, a movie will not be shown at a theatre again after it's six months old.

Throw in the fact that the studios don't care much for the theatres that run their movies anymore, I see nothin but doom and gloom for the business I devoted many years of my life to.

The last movie I went to see at a theatre for myself was "Goldmember". I have taken my grandkids to see a few Pixar movies but there are fewer movies made that even they want to see!

Old 06-27-2020, 07:27 AM

422 posts, read 756,874 times
Nope and not planning to probably ever. Don't really care about AMC(corporate america)

Old 07-01-2020, 10:38 AM

814 posts, read 676,093 times
No way ! Even without a virus.

Old 07-24-2020, 10:21 PM

Here's a parody of "AMC Theatres At Home". It shows what you can do to have the ''benefits" of a movie theatre in your home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-Le_05ti6c

Old 07-25-2020, 06:32 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,047,601 times
Most of the movies that were set to be released this summer and throughout the rest of year have now been pushed back to be released a year from now. Many people think the movie industry can just "stream" movies on a home platform, but there is no monetary profit in that. Even if they charge a $20 viewing fee for a movie, I can just invite 10 of my friends over and charge them a $2 viewing fee each and the industry/theaters will miss out on $180.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio