Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2020, 06:08 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar View Post
Chick-fil-A would be at SAT
Honestly the reason Chick-fil-A is not at SAT has more to do with the city council than the mayor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2020, 10:37 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
San Antonio is bigger than Boston. About the same size as Philly and yes smaller than NYC. At least population wise.
The issue is density. Like someone said, our population is spread out. Boston is all smushed in one smaller area. There was a poster either in the Texas or Austin forum that was arguing that Boston and Massachusetts had more open space than the central Texas area. He was promptly shamed out of the thread he started.

Old 06-30-2020, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
The issue is density. Like someone said, our population is spread out. Boston is all smushed in one smaller area. There was a poster either in the Texas or Austin forum that was arguing that Boston and Massachusetts had more open space than the central Texas area. He was promptly shamed out of the thread he started.
I certainly won't agree that Boston has more open space than SA or even the state of Massachusetts has more open space than Texas.

I am not sure what flashfearless means when Boston is bigger than San Antonio. It is subjective.

Old 06-30-2020, 11:45 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,007,169 times
Greater Boston has almost 5 million people.
Greater San Antonio (the San Antonio-New Braunfels metropolitan area) has 2.5 million people.
Boston is way bigger. Have you ever been to Boston? There is more to these places than the population of the main city. San Antonio is a bigger city than Dallas (if you only look at the city population) but as you well know Dallas is a whole other world compared to San Antonio.

Old 06-30-2020, 12:14 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,226,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilgar View Post
chick-fil-a would be at sat
lol.

Old 06-30-2020, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Greater San Antonio (the San Antonio-New Braunfels metropolitan area) has 2.5 million people.
Boston is way bigger. Have you ever been to Boston? There is more to these places than the population of the main city. San Antonio is a bigger city than Dallas (if you only look at the city population) but as you well know Dallas is a whole other world compared to San Antonio.
I didn't see the words "greater" or "metro" earlier but really you are not telling me anything new to me.

What does it matter if I have been to the city being discussed or not? The feel of the city has nothing to do with actual facts.

Old 06-30-2020, 05:15 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
The comment wasn't "greater" Boston - it was Boston. As such, they have fewer than 700,000 inhabitants.....

Old 06-30-2020, 07:47 PM

5,444 posts, read 7,740,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
Hi,

A few weeks ago I posted here asking for some advice/suggestions on areas my daughter might want to look for an apartment in SA given that she will be moving from out of town to begin working UT Health SA. She ended up renting a place very close to the Medical Center....she, I, and her mother arrived Monday and are working to get her settled. First thing I noticed is that this is a much bigger, sprawling city than I imagined...yes, I am sure this just reflects on my ignorance, but I really was surprised. Given the size of the city, the traffic has been pretty insane...lots of cars moving about at all hours of the day. I think my daughter's choice to move to a place where she can walk to work if she wanted was a pretty good move for a new arrival. Once she gets acclimated and learns the flow and timing of traffic, she might be more comfortable looking for other housing options.
I assume from your handle that you are from West Virginia?

West Virginia Statewide Population: 1.7 million
San Antonio metro population: 2.5 million

San Antonio metro population rank? #24. Right there between #23 Orlando and #25 Portland.

If San Antonio was in any of about 35 other states it would be the largest city in the state and have a much larger national profile. But stuck in Texas between the DFW and Houston mega-cities it kind of gets lost.

Old 06-30-2020, 07:56 PM

5,444 posts, read 7,740,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
No, the issue is that San Antonio has enormously expansive city limits that encompass much area that would be separate suburban cities in an older city like Boston. You can't really compare city populations between cities like San Antonio and Boston because the former includes most of the suburbs where they later includes only the central city with all the suburban areas composed of separate cities. City boundaries are just artificial lines on the map. You really need to compare metro areas.

San Antonio as a city is also has more population than San Francisco, Washington DC, Dallas, and Seattle. But it would be ridiculous to say it is bigger than those metro areas which all have far more expansive suburbs.

Old 07-01-2020, 03:06 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,119,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
I certainly won't agree that Boston has more open space than SA or even the state of Massachusetts has more open space than Texas.

I am not sure what flashfearless means when Boston is bigger than San Antonio. It is subjective.
This is the kind of stuff the natives say. Those that have never been face to face with a large city. San Antonio’s numbers only come from how the government has defined the city boundary being so broad and wide.

The point is, people around here say it’s a big city, but having lived in those other places, it’s small town to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio