Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2020, 02:23 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,658,019 times

Advertisements

I LOVE San Antonio. I actually visited Texas last week. I will visit again. The River Walk was fun and the Alamo was very small but cool to see. The weather wasn't bad when I visited. Hell, it even rained two weeks ago Saturday. It's WAY more hilly than I thought. (at least on the northern part of town) It's much more green than I thought too.

I primarily stayed at the upper west side by six flags and Camp Bullis. While my experience with the food was very limited, it was really good. The Whattaburgers in TX are to die for, unlike their AZ counterparts. PEPES TACOS N SALSA was LEGIT. They had the best Al Pastor I ever had.

The traffic wasnt bad at all. I don't know when the OP came to visit but the traffic was rather light. I stayed there two weeks ago on Saturday and Sunday. The traffic around the river walk was a little chaotic but nothing TOO bad. The drivers in SA were not nearly as bad as Phoenix drivers.

If I had to make a few complaints, it's:

1) Your traffic lights take AGES to change from red to green. At least this was the case around the 1604 loop.

2) There were too many highway patrol pulling people over. The one thing I love about Phoenix is that the highway patrol presence aren't heavy in the metro.

3) The downtown was active but it's very small. If I blink, I would miss it. And I think it's kind of odd that the ATT center is in the middle of nowhere without any bars/restaurants to visit after the game. I would think a better location for that arena would be in downtown where there are more activities to do before and after the game.

All in all, I enjoyed your city and I will visit SA soon. (probably in the winter time) SA reminds me of Texas as San Diego reminds me of California....minus the weather and water. SD and SA are both big cities with a smaller city feel. And they both cities seem great places to live with awesome food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2020, 09:48 AM

9,850 posts, read 13,692,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post

3) The downtown was active but it's very small. If I blink, I would miss it. And I think it's kind of odd that the ATT center is in the middle of nowhere without any bars/restaurants to visit after the game. I would think a better location for that arena would be in downtown where there are more activities to do before and after the game.

It was located there with hopes that it would help gentrify/improve the area. It's a historically neglected area and has lots of services and supports thrown its way. There are lots of things going on there, but blink and you'll miss it. There are many Air BnBs in the area because its close to downtown. It hasn't quite made the jump like Austin has in the "I want to move here because it's close to downtown and I can handle the crime/issues" but it may one day. There is the Alamodome downtown, but that was built when we thought we were going to get an NFL team. But that dream is like getting a Disneyland. (we have joked about getting an ikea in the same way, but that dream has actually come true).

Old 09-05-2020, 10:03 AM

4,323 posts, read 7,231,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
It was located there with hopes that it would help gentrify/improve the area. It's a historically neglected area and has lots of services and supports thrown its way. There are lots of things going on there, but blink and you'll miss it. There are many Air BnBs in the area because its close to downtown. It hasn't quite made the jump like Austin has in the "I want to move here because it's close to downtown and I can handle the crime/issues" but it may one day. There is the Alamodome downtown, but that was built when we thought we were going to get an NFL team. But that dream is like getting a Disneyland. (we have joked about getting an ikea in the same way, but that dream has actually come true).
Just to add to that, the Spurs originally played in the arena built for HemisFair '68. When the Alamodome was completed and the NFL expansion passed us by, a deal was worked out with the Spurs to move to that facility. The old arena became underutilized, and was also in need of repairs. So it was demolished to make way for an expanded convention center. During the demolition phase, the Spurs announced that the Alamodome wouldn't work as a long-term venue, and would need a new facility in order to remain a viable franchise locally.

So that's how the AT&T center came to be.

Old 09-05-2020, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post

What is the Alamo Dome used for nowndays? Well besides hosting the final 4.

Old 09-05-2020, 01:13 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,062,560 times
Quote:
What is the Alamo Dome used for nowndays? Well besides hosting the final 4.

UTSA football games, Alamo Bowl, Comic Con, UIL Football/ Basketball playoffs/championships, concerts, Monster trucks and a smattering of other events throughout the year.

Old 09-09-2020, 02:58 PM

1,032 posts, read 875,099 times
I love SA. It's been my adopted home at several points in time.

It's a city of bubbles: Having lived in Olmos, Southtown/KW and AH, you could literally spend your whole life in those finite block ranges and never know the rest of the city exists. Many do.

It feels like towns within cities. I quite like that and it's not something you get in metro Dallas (where I am now).

Old 09-11-2020, 05:23 AM

6,501 posts, read 7,530,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
So that's how the AT&T center came to be.
I love my Spurs and have been to many home and away games to see them through out the years including Staples Center in LA, Madison Square Garden in NYC and Arena Ciudad de Mexico the few times they've played down South... I will say that I hate AT&T Center's location, the arena is fine but that location is the worst, I wish it were downtown.

I am jealous of other NBA cities like Dallas, Houston and even Oklahoma City that have their arenas in their downtown.

Old 09-11-2020, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
I love my Spurs and have been to many home and away games to see them through out the years including Staples Center in LA, Madison Square Garden in NYC and Arena Ciudad de Mexico the few times they've played down South... I will say that I hate AT&T Center's location, the arena is fine but that location is the worst, I wish it were downtown.

I am jealous of other NBA cities like Dallas, Houston and even Oklahoma City that have their arenas in their downtown.

This is so odd to me. I lived in Nor Cal and the old Arco Arena (where the kings use to play) was in the middle of nowhere where public transportation did not exist. Same with the Warriors old arena; however, there was a "light rail" system that stops at their arena. These arenas were old and out dated. The Kings moved their new arena to downtown and it somewhat revitalized that part of downtown and the Warriors built a brand new arena right by the SAn Francisco Giants ball park on water front property.

Again, I'm not an San Antonio native but I do not like the location of the ATT center and I think it would have been really cool if it was located in downtown. All the modern arenas are in their cities' downtown core.

Old 09-11-2020, 09:52 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,774,133 times
I know one of the most popular aspects of having final four basketball tournament was that it was held at Alamodome. The visitors could easily stay downtown and walk around and loved that.

Old 09-11-2020, 10:47 AM

6,501 posts, read 7,530,019 times
Quote:
This is so odd to me. I lived in Nor Cal and the old Arco Arena (where the kings use to play) was in the middle of nowhere where public transportation did not exist. Same with the Warriors old arena; however, there was a "light rail" system that stops at their arena. These arenas were old and out dated. The Kings moved their new arena to downtown and it somewhat revitalized that part of downtown and the Warriors built a brand new arena right by the SAn Francisco Giants ball park on water front property.

Again, I'm not an San Antonio native but I do not like the location of the ATT center and I think it would have been really cool if it was located in downtown. All the modern arenas are in their cities' downtown core.
Selfishly, living in SoCal I wanted the Kings to move to Anaheim's Honda Center so that I could go to a couple more Spurs away games per year when they played @Kings, but alas the Kings got their new downtown arena.

At least with Oracle Arena in Oakland, it's on the BART line and along the freeway next to the Athletics/Raiders baseball stadium so you see it as you drive into Oakland from the South. AT&T Center isn't even on the freeway but I suppose its not to bad to get to from the hotels downtown especially in this day and age of Ubers and Lyfts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
I know one of the most popular aspects of having final four basketball tournament was that it was held at Alamodome. The visitors could easily stay downtown and walk around and loved that.
I used to love this too when the Spurs played at the Alamodome, it was always fun to walk downtown after a game. Now, you sit in your car in a parking lot trying to leave the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio