Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 10:44 AM

3 posts, read 14,621 times

Advertisements

What is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 11:13 AM

1,532 posts, read 3,684,401 times
First friday is really cool! It's one of the first things we experienced in SA. They have a bunch of food, art, vendors, bands, etc. in Southtown. You can walk up and down the street and just experience everything. The business usually just open up and you can shop or do whatever. I really love it! If you have any other questions, let me know!

Old 04-29-2008, 11:15 AM

163 posts, read 544,553 times
I agree. Its really fun.

Its a time for artists to show their work, bands to play, people to get to know each other. Try hitting up Blue Star as soon as you get there.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:02 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,039,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigmammoo View Post
I agree. Its really fun.

Its a time for artists to show their work, bands to play, people to get to know each other. Try hitting up Blue Star as soon as you get there.
Also.. go early and go to Beethovens and drink great Germans beers on tap

Old 04-29-2008, 02:06 PM

791 posts, read 3,947,051 times
I must admit, I used to love First Friday but don't as much anymore. It's hordes of people now (which may be something you love... I don't). I now prefer to make time for Second Saturday art walk. Or if you really love art, just get on the invite lists for all the Southtown galleries... you'll get invited to all the opening parties they have the Thursday night before First Friday. More info at:
Southtown - San Antonio Arts District, San Antonio, TX
Southtown Artwalk | Second Saturdays

The Deco District (Monticello Park/Jefferson historic district just north of downtown) also has an art walk, but I couldn't find any info online.

If you're looking for walkable festivals or events, you can also check out the Houston Street Fair that starts up again in May. It's been a tough sell to get people downtown for the HSF, so it hasn't been that crowded when I've gone... but it's worth visiting at least once to check it out. Houston Street Market & Fair

Old 04-29-2008, 02:52 PM

163 posts, read 544,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Also.. go early and go to Beethovens and drink great Germans beers on tap
I walked there one First Friday and stumbled out. I met some REALLY nice people there, all ages.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:34 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,560,624 times
>>>If you're looking for walkable festivals or events, you can also check out the Houston Street Fair that starts up again in May. It's been a tough sell to get people downtown for the HSF, so it hasn't been that crowded when I've gone... but it's worth visiting at least once to check it out. Houston Street Market & Fair<<<

According to the website the Fair is supposed to run January thru September. When I first heard about it they were going to have a farmers market along with it. Then it morphed into just a mini Fiesta type event with people selling the usual carnival type foods. Pretty lame. I was hoping we could get a decent farmers market here like they have in Austin. Some place the people of San Antonio could buy locally grown produce and other locally produced products. They tout it as a function for the people of San Antonio to come and enjoy but it appears to be geared for the tourists like everything else downtown. Sometimes I think our city leaders must haved coined the phrase "Keep San Antonio Lame".

Old 04-29-2008, 04:17 PM

472 posts, read 1,785,625 times
I suggest starting your First Friday at La Tuna under the giant pecan trees. This is just across the street from the Blue Star Art Complex where most of FF takes place. I would get there about 3pm or so, find a nice shady picnic table and enjoy the beautiful weather we are having.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:21 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,560,624 times
I've always wanted to go to FF but I never seem to think about it until I here someone talking about it after the fact. If I were to go to FF what is the parking situation?

Old 04-29-2008, 08:50 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,512,884 times
First Friday is an arts fair along S. Alamo and anchored by Blue Star Arts Complex (which has expanded quite a lot recently). The most interesting galleries, IMO, are the personal ones in the back behind Blue Star, close to the RR tracks. Galleries are open, drink is served, you check out local and not-so-local artists and meet up with friends. At many spots there is live music, some of it planned, some of it spontaneous. Also along S. Alamo a lot of crafts and less well established local artists.

if you want to avoid the crowds, go early (6pm ish). It doesn't get crowded til 8 or so. And the crowds vary. Some months it's packed, some not so much. We usually hit Beethovens after we do the art tour.

We always walk, so I'm not sure about parking. You can easily park in Lavaca and walk over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio