Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2020, 04:33 AM

1,514 posts, read 889,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Many times people get themselves into trouble on their own and find it very convenient to blame racism.
I too feel the race card is overplayed for poor choices at times. We have a problem with racism against all races in San Antonio and this country. We need to take personal responsibility and be held accountable for our actions but we also need to ensure that we work towards creating a better tomorrow for all human beings and society as a whole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2020, 04:45 AM

9,848 posts, read 13,685,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar View Post
I think the Administration did listen. What is concerning was that their grievances did not come to light until after the two had graduated- a little late to correct a wrong.
No it’s not too late. They have felt fear in confronting the situation while enrolled. They could have approached administration before but been ignored. We don’t know what happened before. None of us are in the district to know.

Old 08-05-2020, 05:45 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,408,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
No it’s not too late. They have felt fear in confronting the situation while enrolled. They could have approached administration before but been ignored. We don’t know what happened before. None of us are in the district to know.
I have no doubt that the administration would have been proactive with a legitimate complaint.

Old 08-05-2020, 07:05 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,770,225 times
Quote:
We don’t know what happened before.
Yet, you are willing to believe everything these two say.

If I was denied an extra slice of pizza (or accused of taking more than my share) by a cafeteria worker that is black and I tell you I was treated that way because I am white, are you going to just take my word for it?

Old 08-05-2020, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
What people might not realise is that these kids aren't necessarily racist, they are just elitists. They dislike poor white and poor black people the same. It is what it is.
I think this is probably the best way to explain the situation at AHHS. Many of those students probably think of anyone not in 78209 as "peasants".

Old 08-05-2020, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
What people might not realise is that these kids aren't necessarily racist, they are just elitists. They dislike poor white and poor black people the same. It is what it is.
Everyone is racist. The goal is to be "anti-racist." This article appears to do a good job at explaining the difference. https://nmaahc.si.edu/learn/talking-...ing-antiracist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
Yet, you are willing to believe everything these two say.

If I was denied an extra slice of pizza (or accused of taking more than my share) by a cafeteria worker that is black and I tell you I was treated that way because I am white, are you going to just take my word for it?
Yes. That was your experience.

Last edited by ashbeeigh; 08-05-2020 at 09:08 AM..

Old 08-05-2020, 08:45 AM

6,496 posts, read 7,523,645 times
Every one of us has our prejudices, but we are not all racists.

Old 08-05-2020, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Yes. That was your experience.
You missed my point. I didn't have this experience. It was a scenario I threw out there.

Point is, her actions towards me may have had nothing to do with race but I wanted to pull the race card because I got butt hurt by what she did without even knowing her real intent. Would you still take my side over hers?

What makes these two people any different?

It is like those #metoo moments. Are each and every one of those stories true or possibly intent by someone to ruin another's life or a cash grab?

Old 08-05-2020, 09:09 AM

I'm going to take a step back from this thread because at this point it's not about combining districts, it's about name calling and white apathy, white superiority, white fragility and white centering. Many of you are making this article about you, not about the students, their experiences or about the systemic racism within the city of San Antonio that we all know exists.

Old 08-05-2020, 10:02 AM

3,950 posts, read 2,999,431 times
White apathy? White fragility? White centering? I think we all know who the real racist is...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio