U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2020, 07:18 AM

217 posts, read 195,063 times

Advertisements

I take mine to the county dump and explain to them that just over the hill is an all you can eat buffet. They must like it they don't come back!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2020, 07:25 AM

6,103 posts, read 7,203,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
It's not.
I use this one for the same reason as the OP. I can pretty much catch one every night if I put it out. I just put a couple of crackers in it for bait.
I have trapped a couple until I was told that releasing them somewhere else was illegal and was lectured on how I was making my problem become someone else's by doing that. I guess I was given bad info.

When I lived in the country, I just shot them if they became a problem. Wish I could do the same in the city.

Old 08-07-2020, 07:42 AM

2,254 posts, read 1,167,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
I have trapped a couple until I was told that releasing them somewhere else was illegal and was lectured on how I was making my problem become someone else's by doing that. I guess I was given bad info.

When I lived in the country, I just shot them if they became a problem. Wish I could do the same in the city.
That's kinda cruel and inhuman but to each his own. My biggest fear is catching a skunk. I heard that wildlife control won't help you with that (relocating).
I caught a mean one last night!
Attached Thumbnails
Best traps and bait for racoons-img_1723.jpeg  

Old 08-07-2020, 07:43 AM

4,994 posts, read 12,117,446 times
I catch both raccoons in possums in my trap all the time. I drive them to the country and release them. Coons are a lot smarter than possums so make sure the trap is really secure because they will find a way out if there are any weak points in your trap. They will eat any thing sweet. I used honeybuns as bait. They love taking up residence under my deck. I have blocked them with chicken wire but they still like my deck.

Old 08-07-2020, 07:45 AM

2,254 posts, read 1,167,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
I catch both raccoons in possums in my trap all the time. I drive them to the country and release them. Coons are a lot smarter than possums so make sure the trap is really secure because they will find a way out if there are any weak points in your trap. They will eat any thing sweet. I used honeybuns as bait. They love taking up residence under my deck. I have blocked them with chicken wire but they still like my deck.
This is true. When I catch them at night, they usually maneuver and wiggle the trap 15-20 feet from the original spot trying to get out. I make sure I don't place the trap near our pool for fear they will wiggle their way into the pool and drown.

Old 08-07-2020, 08:38 AM

36,631 posts, read 47,341,938 times
Quote:
Take them about 10 miles away near some woods and release them. I have one in a trap right now as a matter of fact. About to go release him.
Yeah, that's about the right distance, minimum five in any event. You're fortunate you don't have the rabies issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post

That's the way it is here, no release of any trapped animal. Natural Resources won't do anything, you have to hire a licensed wildlife removal service.

Old 08-07-2020, 08:40 AM

6,103 posts, read 7,203,001 times
Quote:
That's kinda cruel and inhuman but to each his own. My biggest fear is catching a skunk. I heard that wildlife control won't help you with that (relocating).
I caught a mean one last night!
Like I said. If they became a problem as if they were a threat to the family pets or causing damage to the home or your garden. They got a bullet. That was back when I lived out in the country though and that is how they deal with problem animals out there, like it or not.

Raccoons are just trash pandas and don't add much value to city wildlife.

Old 08-08-2020, 06:44 AM

905 posts, read 736,403 times
I checked with 311 about the situation and they were no help. They referred me to Wildlife Rescue and Rehab. They were no help. Suggested one of those ultrasonic noise and light makers when motion is detected. I have every corner of the house pegged with a camera and light and those guys are not deterred by light from above let’s put it that way. I guess it’s possible they would react better when the light is at their level.

I think the good news is my recent augmented addition to my fence might be working. While they can still get through it, it’s a ***** for them and it’s gotta hurt because the gap is narrow. Saw them on camera go wide into my neighbors back yard and no video near my pool. So they likely went over his fence into the next neighborhood where there is another pool. Let’s hope this continues and I don’t have to trap them.

One of my neighbors said that he knew a guy who would inject hot dogs with liquid Benadryl which would knock them out long enough for him to just pick them up the next morning and put them in a cage.

Old 08-08-2020, 07:52 AM

2,174 posts, read 2,699,024 times
Just put up a little sign
" No Racoons ".

Old 08-11-2020, 12:03 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
27,174 posts, read 45,329,414 times
Quote:
This is true. When I catch them at night, they usually maneuver and wiggle the trap 15-20 feet from the original spot trying to get out. I make sure I don't place the trap near our pool for fear they will wiggle their way into the pool and drown.

How Very convenient!

When we have too big of an infestation (new family of raccoons) they need to 'go-swimming')...

Ironically if I 'release' them, I go to the wildlife refugee (near town), very late at night, with my lights off. Lots of water and friendly people who like wild(?)life.

The sweet corn was getting hammered one yr when I was a kid living with grandparents. so... I trapped them, and ended up with a very unhappy badger! Glad I had buried a 4' rod to hold the trap as that badger was digging to China.

The Raccoons kept stealing the 'trigger rod' from my FIL's trap. They would hide it very far away and we would find it with the mower (ouch).

Usually use cat food, but sardines sounds better.
Cats probably don't go for Honey Buns. But I never get the cat I want to catch in my trap anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio