U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:11 PM

9 posts, read 989 times

Advertisements

Had a similar problem over the spring and summer. Was originally not impacted much by the raccoons until they started emptying our our bird feeders every night and my neighbor's fish were being eaten out of a patio pond and one attacked his dog one morning.

My research of animal removal services told me they are in it to make money more than eliminate problem in one go. Called around a few local and state agencies and was told we can trap, kill, whatever but cannot take them somewhere else to be released. They said it was part of some rabies prevention issue of some sort. So it kind of left me without more ideal options that would let the raccoons live.

Ended up buying a rectangular cage trap at Bass Pro Shops for about $50 or so. Also bought a cheap 22 caliber rifle for kids there too (also cheaper like under $130). Then some tiny ammo called "CB shorts" that I think are the most quiet bullet you can find. Neighbor and I put the trap between our houses to help contain the eventual cracking noise of a bullet. Baited it with some canned sardines. Caught one first night by 3am and stuck the nozzle into the cage and dispatched it. Sounded like a branch snap, nothing much. Baited it again when they were still coming back at night and did the same with 2 caught at same time.

Would do it again, but haven't had a problem since. Need to have some stomach though cause seeing an animal up close and taking it's life... hard to forget that guilt. We still get armadillos digging up the grass and I sometimes trap them too (even though people say they are hard to lure into a trap it works for me with stinky fish) and then release them at the nature preserve down the street.

P.S. Double bag that animal afterwards and seal with tape. A few days till trash day and any air escaping that bag will make you evacuate your house.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 06:12 AM

905 posts, read 736,403 times
In the end I came to a solution with my fencing which basically made it so that it was more trouble for the raccoons than they wanted to put up with. It took them a while to change their habits as they were initially determined to still make it into my backyard. But at least one of the four managed to hang himself in the branches of a crepe myrtle, so maybe that’s what caused the other three to decide that it wasn’t worth it and they started looking for water elsewhere.

Leaving food out of any kind is an open invitation for them. They’ll eat anything. Including the peanut butter coated alka seltzer bombs I left out for them. Which didn’t affect them I guess because I got the mix wrong.

As far as killing them I wouldn’t do that. I would just ignore what the other folks were saying and take them someplace out in the hill country under dark of night.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio