Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2020, 02:58 PM

2 posts, read 3,916 times

Advertisements

Hey There,

Looking at the beautiful Texas Hill Country and wondering whether mosquitoes or humidity are a problem.

Currently live in Prescott, AZ (5,200 elevation, so much cooler than the rest of AZ, dry, no humidity or mosquito problems). Used to live near Palm Springs, CA - hot but dry, no mosquitoes, no problem. Used to live in New Jersey - so I understand how the humidity works there (85 F. and humid in NJ was much more uncomfortable than 100 F. in AZ or CA).

I think the mosquitoes just love my husband because the mosquitoes bothered him in NJ - I never had a problem.

In looking online at hundreds of houses, I did not find even ONE "screened-in porch" in TX hill country - compared to say, TN, or AL, where a lot of houses have screened-in porches due to the mosquitoes. Soooooo, maybe it is not so bad there? Also, can you have a pest control company spray your yard to cut down on the mosquitoes but not hurt your kids/pets/other flora/fauna?

Curious to hear how hot and humid the summers are (hot is fine but hot and overly humid does not sound fun - no FL humidity).

Trying to convince my husband to go out for a visit, but he thinks it will be a hot, humid, mosquito party!

Thank you in advance!
FrankieAZ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2020, 03:31 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
It will be hot, humid and a mosquito party. He's correct. We just use bug spray instead of screeing in our porches.

Old 08-08-2020, 07:31 PM

2 posts, read 3,916 times
Thank you, ashbeeigh! That's what I was afraid of.

We have some of the finest weather (in my opinion) where we are, but I keep longing for a charming, small town!

Old 08-08-2020, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieAZ View Post
Thank you, ashbeeigh! That's what I was afraid of.

We have some of the finest weather (in my opinion) where we are, but I keep longing for a charming, small town!
Maybe try somewhere in Colorado.

Old 08-08-2020, 09:42 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times
We use a bug zapper - takes care of the mosquitoes for us, and the humidity is something we just got used to, I reckon.

Old 08-09-2020, 06:25 AM

68 posts, read 44,673 times
I read this as we too are considering Hill Country. Lifetime WI residents, we're ready to give up the winters for starters, and perhaps become full time TX residents. So, if Hill Country has mosquitos and high humidity, what areas of Texas have less? But, hopefully with rolling hills, please. We're not flat landers. TIA.

Old 08-09-2020, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sogno View Post
I read this as we too are considering Hill Country. Lifetime WI residents, we're ready to give up the winters for starters, and perhaps become full time TX residents. So, if Hill Country has mosquitos and high humidity, what areas of Texas have less? But, hopefully with rolling hills, please. We're not flat landers. TIA.
Mosquitos come with humidity. As a firmer Wisconsin resident, the hot humidity here is not much different from that of Wisconsin. Just add 20 degrees to the heat index and you have Texas. I lived in Wausau inn8th grade and was stoked to not have a Texas summer but I was quickly knocked down when it was equally as gross as the summers down here.

Old 08-09-2020, 10:36 AM

117 posts, read 80,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Maybe try somewhere in Colorado.
I grew up in Denver metro area until I was 25, plenty of mosquitoes, especially if you're near any water. The bug light certainly helps any outdoors patio activities. But, not much humidity.

Old 08-09-2020, 07:11 PM

216 posts, read 132,129 times
Default No,

I would not classify the Texas Hill Country, (the Balcones Escarpment), as rolling hills. In fact I would not try to run downhill in the hill country, this is sure.
In fact they are very steep at times, thus the flash flooding which occurs.
Where are there rolling hills in Texas with low humidity too? I do not know, let me think on this one a while. Sogno, because I can think of no place right now, off hand. After all.
We are not geographers here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sogno View Post

Old 08-09-2020, 08:49 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,428,248 times
I grew up where the average summer humidity is 10%-30% (Texas Panhandle), so when it's above that, it's humid to me. But those days are not the norm in the Hill Country. Normally, we're below 35% humidity.

As for mosquitoes, depends. We happen to be sitting on top of the Trinity Acquifer, which is limestone, on a hillside above a flood control lake, and very rarely see a mosquito. When it rains, that water is absorbed within a few hours unless it's a toad strangler, and even then, it's gone quickly, so no time for mosquitoes to breed. Now if you're living within a couple miles of people who leave stuff all over their property that collects water where skeeters can breed, then you'll have a skeeter problem.

Drop down off the Edwards Acquifer into San Antonio, and you're in another climate where it is humid. It's also more humid around Austin than farther into the Hill Country, and the further west you go, the drier the Hill Country is.

It all depends on where you're looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio