Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2020, 07:57 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,408,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Football helped UTSA become the school it is today.

I am looking forward to UTSA football this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2020, 10:27 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,328,236 times
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...-apart/615277/

Here's a good read on what college football is all about. I wouldn't send a kid to a school based on football. It is the quality of the education.

The attitude that football makes a school is pathetic.

Old 08-14-2020, 12:57 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,408,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM-Texas View Post

Here's a good read on what college football is all about. I wouldn't send a kid to a school based on football. It is the quality of the education.

Haven't read the article yet. FOOTBALL=TEXAS=COLLEGE.

You're not a real Texan are you?

Old 08-14-2020, 07:11 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,328,236 times
Well, that's a useful comment on determining quality education.

Old 08-14-2020, 08:00 PM

216 posts, read 132,061 times
Default Don't have to be Texan,

Football or scholastics? Are you kidding me? Ever heard of any this big 8 football stuff? This is big
business,kiddo.
Ever heard that the University of Michigan Research Hospital is the number one ranked Hospital in the world?
That the University of Michigan is scholastically one of the top universities in the country?
A very good Business School?
That President Gerald Ford was the starting quarterback for the University of Michigan when he attended
there?

While I would not say that football makes the school, they are impossible to separate and football overshadows this University-Hospital complex. The traffic anytime around game time is really crazy. Freeway exit ramps close to the stadium are blocked off with state police cars and there are cops everywhere. I would send my kid there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM-Texas View Post

Old 08-15-2020, 06:47 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,044,609 times
I was just talking with a buddy the other day about how I've never heard of anyone graduating from Notre Dame, but have heard about many people who were on the football team. Basically there is more emphasis put on the football team there than academics.

Old 08-15-2020, 06:49 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,044,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Well done View Post
Football or scholastics? Are you kidding me? Ever heard of any this big 8 football stuff? This is big
business,kiddo.
Ever heard that the University of Michigan Research Hospital is the number one ranked Hospital in the world?
That the University of Michigan is scholastically one of the top universities in the country?
A very good Business School?
That President Gerald Ford was the starting quarterback for the University of Michigan when he attended
there?

While I would not say that football makes the school, they are impossible to separate and football overshadows this University-Hospital complex. The traffic anytime around game time is really crazy. Freeway exit ramps close to the stadium are blocked off with state police cars and there are cops everywhere. I would send my kid there.
Based on the traffic being "really crazy" or academics?

Old 08-15-2020, 10:01 AM

216 posts, read 132,061 times
Default Sent Along,

Well Remington I would send my kid to the Univ. of Michigan to become a Doctor , a lawyer, a football player or, a State Cop .
It is very difficult to be awarded an athletic scholarship to the University of Michigan though. These Ball players who do get a free ride at the University are the best players from all across the country.
I would not say the emphasis was on football at this school, rather on scholastics.
It is just the football which receives far more notoriety.
For the traffic jams they could attend for a criminal justice degree since the State Cops need one.

I took my son to the Univ. of Michigan Hosp. one time for surgery directly from another hospital where he was receiving inadequate care and where he had already been for 8 days. I have never, experienced anything like this U. of M. Hospital. There was valet parking when I,we, arrived and I received a picture ID upon entering which I attached to my shirt collar for my stay in the University hospital with my son. I had the run of the hospital but I would have become lost. There was a concert pianist in the front lobby and alongside and behind him was a museum of sorts with a story of how the hospital was founded in the 1880's well before the football team or the Research Center or University.
I would have needed GPS to maneuver the halls if I did not ask for directions.
There were five teams of four surgeons roaming the U of M hospital hallways on the SECOND shift. These stopped out in the hallway in front of the room and discussed surgical options out loud with each other for the condition. I was listening. After a time one Dr. came in and explained on a vinyl erasable board on the wall, with colored markers, on what would be done during surgery the next morning. These were of course interns only. Within less than one day U. of M. accomplished what the other hospital couldn't do at all, after 8 days.
When I left the hospital the next morning after the procedure had gone well, I was sort of astonished. My SUV had been moved right next to the doors where I had entered, and I left with a feeling of great joy over the hospital's efficiency from arrival to departure.
By the very next morning my son was home.
The other "hospital" had claimed that "They would need at least another month to stabilize my son's physical condition before he could even enter surgery". At which point I told them - "That is all right because I was moving him to another hospital." We left with the IV still in my son's arm for the U of M Hosp.

Which is the best there? The Ball Players or the Surgeons and Medical Center? Both are exceptional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
Based on the traffic being "really crazy" or academics?

Old 08-15-2020, 10:22 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,254,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Football helped UTSA become the school it is today.
Most Power 5 football schools are very selective and are very strong academically.

Old 08-15-2020, 01:01 PM

3,950 posts, read 2,999,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
I was just talking with a buddy the other day about how I've never heard of anyone graduating from Notre Dame, but have heard about many people who were on the football team. Basically there is more emphasis put on the football team there than academics.
I have a buddy that graduated from Notre Dame, and he was one of the top kids in his class in high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio