Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2020, 01:10 PM

284 posts, read 346,425 times

Advertisements

Ya'll have completely gone off a tangent with trends in teen suicide.

I think the issue here is last years senior class at SMH had two suicides, in a graduating class that is significantly smaller than other high school peers in the San Antonio area. Where there's smoke, there's fire.

Couple that with extensive accusations of institutional racism, elitism, misogyny, and an a student/parent body of people that believes that rules and norms don't apply to them, and you've got a community in crisis now that it's been called out. That's not every SMH family, and definitely a generalization, but the money at schools such as these talks and owns the system

The old guard old school families of San Antonio are starting to see cracks in the facades of high society. It turns out a lot of these people are just terrible humans, and they pass this on down their children. What previously would have been handled with large donations and discussions in the back wood paneled studies of the large homes in Alamo Heights and Terrell Hills is now out in the open for all to see Thanks to social media, and a society that is beginning to more and more not appreciate the wealthy taking what they want and doing whatever they want.

I hope what's happening at SMH makes systemic changes there, and starts to shine some sunlight on some of these families and their insular community. Name names too! There's always room for families to have to stand up a proclaim "this is not who we are..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2020, 03:46 PM

9,843 posts, read 13,572,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbcfy View Post
Ya'll have completely gone off a tangent with trends in teen suicide.

I think the issue here is last years senior class at SMH had two suicides, in a graduating class that is significantly smaller than other high school peers in the San Antonio area. Where there's smoke, there's fire.

Couple that with extensive accusations of institutional racism, elitism, misogyny, and an a student/parent body of people that believes that rules and norms don't apply to them, and you've got a community in crisis now that it's been called out. That's not every SMH family, and definitely a generalization, but the money at schools such as these talks and owns the system

The old guard old school families of San Antonio are starting to see cracks in the facades of high society. It turns out a lot of these people are just terrible humans, and they pass this on down their children. What previously would have been handled with large donations and discussions in the back wood paneled studies of the large homes in Alamo Heights and Terrell Hills is now out in the open for all to see Thanks to social media, and a society that is beginning to more and more not appreciate the wealthy taking what they want and doing whatever they want.

I hope what's happening at SMH makes systemic changes there, and starts to shine some sunlight on some of these families and their insular community. Name names too! There's always room for families to have to stand up a proclaim "this is not who we are..."
If you have your answer why did you ask for our opinion?

Old 08-28-2020, 08:26 PM

Don't fence with me. Find another thread to argue with people.
[Mod cut: off topic]

Last edited by elnina; 08-30-2020 at 12:37 PM..

Old 08-29-2020, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Don't fence with me. Find another thread to argue with people. [Mod cut: off topic]
You mentioned there were suicides on campus. I brought up my experience working at schools post-suicide. And stating teen suicides are off-topic when you talked about suicides in a high school? I fail to see your perspective. But. I'll move along because I dislike arguing in circles.

Last edited by elnina; 08-30-2020 at 12:38 PM..

Old 08-29-2020, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
You mentioned there were suicides on campus. I brought up my experience working at schools post-suicide. And stating teen suicides are off-topic when you talked about suicides in a high school? I fail to see your perspective. But. I'll move along because I dislike arguing in circles.
I never mentioned there were suicides on campus. I said that last year's senior class had two suicides.

Old 08-29-2020, 07:07 PM

Quote:
I never mentioned there were suicides on campus. I said that last year's senior class had two suicides.
By on campus, I mean students who were enrolled there who committed suicde.

Old 08-30-2020, 04:07 PM

216 posts, read 129,970 times
Default Better off Agreeing,

TO try to debate with ashbeeigh about the public education system here, is a fruitless endeavor.
Quote:

Old 08-31-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Well done View Post
TO try to debate with ashbeeigh about the public education system here, is a fruitless endeavor.
Even if this is a private school, I know my crisis response in an educational setting, private or public.

Old 09-01-2020, 01:11 PM

947 posts, read 1,242,561 times
I work for a public school. Not a teacher, but a printer. I don't know of any such attempts or successes with suicide as it's not broadcast all over the place.My dad as a kid went to St.John's in Hot Springs,Arkansas. My great grandparents help found the parish and donated plenty of time and money over the years.Most of the students weren't even Catholics, but protestants, and most had money. The difference between then and now with these kids is . Daddy did something stupid at school like most kids do. So the nuns told great grandma who told grandpa. The old man got a whipping from grandpa , who said if your going to do something stupid next time don't get caught. It didn't mean he agreed with the behaviour not by any means. He meant if you don't what your butt beat, behave.Kids back in the 20s and 30s were disciplined at school, and then at home. They also kicked kids out of school, whether public or private for misbehaviour etc. Now adays parents don't discipline their kids, and don't make them suffer the consequences of their actions. Everybody's sue happy. Parents threaten to beat up the staff or sue the school because my little angel wouldn't do that ,this or the other thing.Kids tell teachers you can't do this that or the other thing to me ,because parents will sue, etc.etc. Not all kids there are bad, but most needed their behinds beat.I got spanked as a kid by my mom when i did something wrong.It had to be something really bad for that to happen, otherwise it was go to your room. But yes, there are kids who have mental issues.SFor some, it runs in families. In others, the parents pay little if any attention to their children, plus with bullying they get at school, no wonder they choose the route of last resort. If these kids had someone like a Big Brother or Big Sister program at the school, or something else, maybe they might feel better since older people could share some of the things that went on in their lives. It wasn't all peaches and cream for many of us adults, but we overcame the odds to be what we are today.

Old 12-19-2020, 07:43 PM

1 posts, read 385 times
Exclamation It's a sick, sick school

Saint Mary's Hall is a badly run, toxic, train wreck. I am an employee, but would not send my children to that school. There are actually FOUR recent suicides associated wuth the school - 2 students and 2 recent grads. AVOID this school at all costs!

Last edited by OneGinSling; 12-19-2020 at 07:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio